The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 20, 2015, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Michigan-MSU calls

There are two calls or non-calls I am shocked I don't see being discussed here.

First- Targeting on Bolden. I personally think this was a terrible call because he was being thrown down on the play. I have a hard time penalizing a player who is being thrown to the ground on the play.

Second- Lack of a roughing the snapper call on the final play of the game. To me that looked to be the textbook picture of roughing the snapper that you would see in a rules video. 1 second after the start of the snap, the snapper's feet are straight up in the air. I'm sure he did not roll backward on his own. Also, due to a stupid formation, no MSU player could say he was blocked into the snapper by another lineman. Michigan's line was too spread out to block someone else into the snapper.
Old Tue Oct 20, 2015, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

The defender was absolutely blocked into the center, no RTS here. It's not the defender right over the center that hits him, that defender gets past untouched. It's the defender to the right of the first defender that gets hit into him, sending him ass over elbows. Watch the left A guard - he comes down into the gap and knocks defender #2 into the center. Defender #1 already is past.
Old Wed Oct 21, 2015, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrounge View Post
The defender was absolutely blocked into the center, no RTS here. It's not the defender right over the center that hits him, that defender gets past untouched. It's the defender to the right of the first defender that gets hit into him, sending him ass over elbows. Watch the left A guard - he comes down into the gap and knocks defender #2 into the center. Defender #1 already is past.
Agreed. I get that often from snappers and coaches. Defenders will shoot the gap and the guard blocks the defender into the snapper. That's why you have to watch those gaps closely or you could easily get fooled on a play like this.