The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 04, 2015, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to yankeesfan
loose ball foul

from A's 40 yard line QB goes back to pass and A75 holds at A's 35 yard line. Where is the penalty going to be enforced from? The pass is completed 20 yards downfield.
Old Fri Sep 04, 2015, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

Assuming the game is being played under NFHS rules, the penalty would be enforced 10 yards from the spot of the foul.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Sep 05, 2015, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

does the All But One Principle apply to a loose ball play?
Old Sat Sep 05, 2015, 10:58pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Yes.
Old Sat Sep 05, 2015, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

10-6 says that the basic spot for a lose ball play is the previous spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sun Sep 06, 2015, 01:45am
Never Stop Learning

"with the exception of a foul by the offense which occurs behind the basic spot during a loose ball play or a running play. This particular foul is enforced from the spot of the foul." The rest of 10-6.
Old Sun Sep 06, 2015, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

I don't understand why they have loose ball plays and running plays separate but the enforcements are both the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sun Sep 06, 2015, 08:51am
Get away from me, Steve.

The basic spots are different. For example:

A defensive foul on a running play has the end of the run as the basic spot. A defensive foul on a loose ball play has the previous spot as the basic spot.
Old Sat Sep 19, 2015, 04:09am
Official Forum Member

Smile

Hi! This series of questions is in regard to loose ball fouls and their related enforcement. Please give me a detailed explanation so that I can not only understand it, but hopefully also explain it to others...

NFHS Rules, not NCAA, not NFL, not CFL. Thanks.

Situation: 1st and 10 on A's 20. The QB (A12) takes the snap and drops back to pass. He throws a long, LEGAL forward pass to the TE (A87). While the ball is in the air the MLB (B55) grasps and twists the C's facemask (A58) at the line of scrimmage. The ball is then caught and the down ends on B's 15 yard line.

Do we as HS officials tack on a 1/2 the distance penalty which would now put the ball at B's 7 1/2. -- OR -- Does A get to choose EITHER the penalty or the play, but not both? Obviously IF this is the case, they will take the play and not the penalty

Second Question? Does it matter WHERE the foul by "B" occurs? Is penalty enforcement affected if the foul is behind the line of scrimmage or beyond the line of scrimmage?

Third Question? Does it matter WHEN the foul by "B" occurs? I.E. Is penalty enforcement affected if the foul is before, during, or after the loose ball play?

Thanks again, my number is 603-273-6478. I would really appreciate a detailed explanation of this. P.D.
Old Sat Sep 19, 2015, 06:44am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davisp77 View Post
Hi! This series of questions is in regard to loose ball fouls and their related enforcement. Please give me a detailed explanation so that I can not only understand it, but hopefully also explain it to others...

NFHS Rules, not NCAA, not NFL, not CFL. Thanks.

Situation: 1st and 10 on A's 20. The QB (A12) takes the snap and drops back to pass. He throws a long, LEGAL forward pass to the TE (A87). While the ball is in the air the MLB (B55) grasps and twists the C's facemask (A58) at the line of scrimmage. The ball is then caught and the down ends on B's 15 yard line.

Do we as HS officials tack on a 1/2 the distance penalty which would now put the ball at B's 7 1/2. -- OR -- Does A get to choose EITHER the penalty or the play, but not both? Obviously IF this is the case, they will take the play and not the penalty

Second Question? Does it matter WHERE the foul by "B" occurs? Is penalty enforcement affected if the foul is behind the line of scrimmage or beyond the line of scrimmage?

Third Question? Does it matter WHEN the foul by "B" occurs? I.E. Is penalty enforcement affected if the foul is before, during, or after the loose ball play?

Thanks again, my number is 603-273-6478. I would really appreciate a detailed explanation of this. P.D.
It's only a tack-on if the foul occurs once it becomes a running play -- so after the catch. Otherwise, it's 15 from the basic spot, which is the previous spot on a loose ball play. Obviously A will decline that. If A scores on the play, now it's a foul by B on a scoring play, so the 15 will be put on the kickoff (or half-the-distance on the try).

Doesn't matter where that foul occurs, since the all-but-one exception only applies on an A foul. Basic spot is the enforcement spot. Loose ball play? Previous spot. Running play? End of the run.