Thread: loose ball foul
View Single Post
Old Sat Sep 19, 2015, 04:09am
Official Forum Member

Smile

Hi! This series of questions is in regard to loose ball fouls and their related enforcement. Please give me a detailed explanation so that I can not only understand it, but hopefully also explain it to others...

NFHS Rules, not NCAA, not NFL, not CFL. Thanks.

Situation: 1st and 10 on A's 20. The QB (A12) takes the snap and drops back to pass. He throws a long, LEGAL forward pass to the TE (A87). While the ball is in the air the MLB (B55) grasps and twists the C's facemask (A58) at the line of scrimmage. The ball is then caught and the down ends on B's 15 yard line.

Do we as HS officials tack on a 1/2 the distance penalty which would now put the ball at B's 7 1/2. -- OR -- Does A get to choose EITHER the penalty or the play, but not both? Obviously IF this is the case, they will take the play and not the penalty

Second Question? Does it matter WHERE the foul by "B" occurs? Is penalty enforcement affected if the foul is behind the line of scrimmage or beyond the line of scrimmage?

Third Question? Does it matter WHEN the foul by "B" occurs? I.E. Is penalty enforcement affected if the foul is before, during, or after the loose ball play?

Thanks again, my number is 603-273-6478. I would really appreciate a detailed explanation of this. P.D.