The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 11, 2003, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Rule 6-5-2 states: It is a fair catch and the ball is dead if any receiver gives a valid fair catch signal, as in Article 1, and he catches a free kick in or beyond the neutral zone to R's goal line, or a scrimmage kick beyond the neutral zone to R's goal line.

Situation: On a scrimmage kick, R1 gives a valid fair catch signal but then actually catches the ball within or behind the neutral zone. Am I correct that R1 is not afforded "fair catch protection" but the ball will be dead when R1 (or any receiver) possesses the ball? Also, since K may catch or recover a scrimmage kick in/behind the neutral zone, there can be no kick catching interference in this situation, correct?

I've heard two different rulings on this. One saying R1 can make a "fair catch" and one saying that there is no "fair catch" on a scrimmage kick within or behind the neutral zone.

Who's right?
Old Thu Sep 11, 2003, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

You are.
Old Thu Sep 11, 2003, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

It amounts to this, R cannot make a fair catch on a ball caught or recovered behind the NZ but at the same time, if a signal was given by any team-R member, the ball cannot be advanced.
Since they cannot make a fair catch, they can be contacted by team-K.

Seems very contradictory to me. What I mean is, I can't make a fair catch and since I loose my right to be contacted, than why can't I run with it. Stupid logic.

Thankfully (IMHO) the ball remains live if this were an NCAA game.It does not matter where, if any a signal was given.