The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 01, 2015, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

Burden of proof on the CREW? (Ohio)

I was talking to a buddy who moved to Ohio and officiates football, and I was shocked (and somewhat angry) when he was talking to me about the Gold Book. I'd read things about officiating in Ohio before on this forum, but this was something else. In Ohio, when a coach thinks the crew messed up a rule, the CREW has to pull out the rule book and show the coach the rule!! And if the crew refuses then it can be suspended for up to TWO YEARS!! What lunacy is this?? If the coach thinks the crew kicked a rule it should be HIS job to show the crew the rule, no!?

Am I naive or is this one of the most ridiculous things ever mandated on officials?
Old Sat Aug 01, 2015, 07:32pm
Get away from me, Steve.

It's Ohio, where the powers that be think they know more about officiating than anyone else.
Old Mon Aug 03, 2015, 07:57am
Official Forum Member

I have never worked a game or watched a game or heard about a game where the officials had to get the book. We have our rule book, case book and pages from the Gold Book in a zip lock bag usually under the 20 yard line marker. It's just one of our mechanics we use.
Old Mon Aug 03, 2015, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

It's already in the NFHS rule book that the coach has the right to have a coach/referee conference, all this does is lay out that if the coach does so and if the coach doesn't agree with the explanation, you show him in the book (which you already have at the game, per the mechanics).

This is truly a tiny little molehill, unworthy of even an iota of fury.
Old Fri Aug 07, 2015, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrounge View Post
It's already in the NFHS rule book that the coach has the right to have a coach/referee conference, all this does is lay out that if the coach does so and if the coach doesn't agree with the explanation, you show him in the book (which you already have at the game, per the mechanics).

What a waste of time. In our state the only coach required to take the rules test is the head coach. And he is not required to PASS it. If he wants to waste a timeout on a conference, fine. The first thing I ask him is, "What color is the rule book this year?"
Old Fri Aug 07, 2015, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrounge View Post

Don't know what's in the Ohio Mechanics requirements, but NFHS 3-6-11 defines the procedure for addressing a coach's opportunity to review an official decision, and it says absolutely NOTHING about ANYONE referring to a Rule Book on the field.
Old Fri Aug 07, 2015, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
Don't know what's in the Ohio Mechanics requirements, but NFHS 3-6-11 defines the procedure for addressing a coach's opportunity to review an official decision, and it says absolutely NOTHING about ANYONE referring to a Rule Book on the field.
True...this is a state-level refinement and addition on just exactly how to go about it....any sound and fury on this molehill really is wasted, because it truly signifies nothing. It's pretty much a non-issue. But in the exceedingly rare event that you have a coach-ref conference and the coach doesn't buy it, yes you would show him. I've never met anyone who ever had to do it.
Old Fri Aug 07, 2015, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

I enjoy not being micromanaged in my state.
Old Mon Aug 10, 2015, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

http://ohsaafb.com/files/2015/07/cre...klist_2015.pdf
Old Mon Aug 10, 2015, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

http://ohsaafb.com/files/2015/07/uns_2015.pdf
Old Tue Aug 11, 2015, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

Suppose for a moment you are arrested and charged with an unlawful garthok gnarfle.

Are you entitled to be shown the law or are you just supposed to go with a "trust us on that"?
Old Tue Aug 11, 2015, 08:19pm
Archaic Power Monger

I'm pretty sure the rules of the football game fall under the 10th Amendment.
Old Wed Aug 12, 2015, 01:03am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Suppose for a moment you are arrested and charged with an unlawful garthok gnarfle.

Are you entitled to be shown the law or are you just supposed to go with a "trust us on that"?

At the exact moment you're arrested? No.
Old Wed Aug 12, 2015, 10:41pm
Chain of Fools

When the cop stops you for speeding, does he show you the statute that makes it illegal?
Old Thu Aug 13, 2015, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

He may not pull out the book and show it to you, but I bet the statute number is written on the ticket.