The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 28, 2015, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

Resume

I'm updating my professional resume and thinking about adding a section about officiating. What other things can/should be included?

• Work in high pressure situations making quick, decisive, and accurate decisions and while resolving conflict
• Communicate effectively with coaches, players, officials, and game day personnel to ensure success
• Maintain a demanding schedule with paperwork, travel, and availability while successfully balancing a full time job
• Enforce rules, policies, procedures, and protocols in accordance to NCAA or NFHS rules
• Lead crewmembers in pregame and postgame meetings and evaluations
Old Tue Jul 28, 2015, 08:58pm
AremRed

Should I put that I worked the 2013 4th grade CYO Championship game on there?
Old Tue Jul 28, 2015, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

I'm asking a serious question, but thanks....
Old Tue Jul 28, 2015, 09:58pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlingrocks View Post
I'm asking a serious question, but thanks....
You're welcome?
Old Tue Jul 28, 2015, 10:49pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Resume

Forgive him. He's our resident (redacted ).
Old Tue Jul 28, 2015, 11:04pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Forgive him. He's our resident (redacted ).

I'd actually like to hear if anyone has put that stuff on their resume. I can see the benefits, especially if applying for something in the sports field but perhaps that is something better left off and perhaps brought up during the meeting. There are a lot of people out there who just don't get what we do (pretty much everyone except other officials) so I can see it not helping.
Old Tue Jul 28, 2015, 11:06pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I would not put anything on a resume that would make a potential employer think I'm not focused on my job. Cause few do get it.
Old Wed Jul 29, 2015, 07:30am
Do not give a damn!!

I always put my officiating business on my resume'. I get money and the people I deal with often add to my interest to companies. I get often interview requests often because this stuff is on my resume'. It is not most consistent job that I have done for the last 20 years. It is usually the thing they bring up or talk about anyway and someone played or went to a local high school so they ask me questions based off of that. Never a distraction or they would not give me the interview. Then again I am in sales and changed careers and got many offers because of my officiating background.

Peace
Old Wed Jul 29, 2015, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I would not put anything on a resume that would make a potential employer think I'm not focused on my job. Cause few do get it.
If I was unemployed and desperately seeking a job, I agree with this position.

However, if you currently have a job and are simply looking for a better job, I would include one line about officiating. I put it under 'Hobbies' and simply list "Collegiate & High School Basketball Official (with years worked)"

From experience, this is often something that is brought up in the interview, with most people genuinely interested in it. I would emphasize that work is the priority and in no way will officiating get in the way of my work. In fact, I say it helps me because it is a release from work stresses and helps me come back to the office the next stay refreshed and re-charged.

I also believe it is important to establish early on that I do officiate, because I may request PTO on short notice to travel to a game. I don't mention this in the interview, but I've laid the ground work...
Old Wed Jul 29, 2015, 08:39am
Do not give a damn!!

If I am filing taxes on my income and filing other paperwork that says I am an official, there is no way in "heck" I am putting it in a hobby line (that no one cares about anyway). I am usually turning down positions and my officiating is front and center on my resume'. Then again most of the jobs I have had or get are in sales or management and they want to know that you can deal with conflict, deal with people, run a business or department and can think on your feet. And I have not been unemployed at any one time before I left college because of officiating.

Peace
Old Wed Jul 29, 2015, 04:37pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Whose Line Is It Anyway ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
... no way in "heck" I am putting it in a hobby line
Avocation ???
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Jul 29, 2015, 04:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Avocation ???
Nope.

Peace
Old Wed Jul 29, 2015, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Not sure why you are so adamant about it not going in a hobby line. The amount of money I make officiating vs my career absolutely classifies officiating as a hobby, for me.

I'm in a business leadership role in a corporate office. There is no benefit to including my officiating as part of my "work experience" because it is irrelevant. Managing situations on a basketball floor is vastly different than building corporate teams and making business decisions.
Old Wed Jul 29, 2015, 05:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgc99 View Post
Not sure why you are so adamant about it not going in a hobby line. The amount of money I make officiating vs my career absolutely classifies officiating as a hobby, for me.

I'm in a business leadership role in a corporate office. There is no benefit to including my officiating as part of my "work experience" because it is irrelevant. Managing situations on a basketball floor is vastly different than building corporate teams and making business decisions.
I would not say I am adamant, but I am in business as well and I want to know the people I might hire are doing something that has a skill that I can use to my advantage. I know that many of us my be older and it might have been a long time for use to work at a fast food joint or some kind of restaurant or service job that paid us at best minimum wage. If we would have only had job experience at that time of our life, why would you not include on your resume' something that most people cannot do and would not admittedly have the balls to do in the first place? Maybe if you are not an accomplished official I could see not even including it. But if I was an NCAA official or someone that has worked high level varsity ball, why would I not include it?

I guess it depends on what kind of job you want too. Since I have made more money at officiating than I did any other "extra" job I think it should be included and often was the bridge between one job to another.

And what I have noticed in the past year as I went on to get a professional license in a field, the officiating is what the interviewer wanted to talk about and talk about mostly even with similar background in another field. I have actually turned down more jobs than being rejected and I attribute that to my background in officiating. After all what is an interview? It is selling yourself.

I guess I would rather talk to someone that had an unusual and interesting position over someone that was a delivery boy for Domino's Pizza.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Wed Jul 29, 2015 at 05:45pm.
Old Wed Jul 29, 2015, 06:33pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Why Not ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Avocation ???
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Nope.
Avocation: Noun:
1. a subordinate occupation pursued in addition to one's vocation especially for enjoyment
2. something a person does in addition to a principal occupation, especially for pleasure;
3. an activity that you pursue when you're not at work
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)