The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Karl hess (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/99939-karl-hess.html)

big jake Sat Jul 04, 2015 09:48pm

Karl hess

Wonder if he will be back next season? He is a great official and should not be black balled for one mistake. Hope he lands back as he is fun to watch.

Nevadaref Sun Jul 05, 2015 01:55am

He should be done. He's had a few negative episodes, which shouldn't be acceptable at the D1 level.

The_Rookie Sun Jul 05, 2015 09:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by big jake (Post 964495)
Wonder if he will be back next season? He is a great official and should not be black balled for one mistake. Hope he lands back as he is fun to watch.

I recently was at the same place as Karl Hess and he would like to get back on the Court and is taking steps to do that. What Conferences will bring him back..need to stay tuned:)

bballref3966 Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:07am

Working six Final Fours gives an official a lot of leeway.

He will be back.

crosscountry55 Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:59am

He paid a significant penance last year. Hopefully he's worked on anger management and done some quality introspection. If so, I think it's time to move on and give the man a fresh shot. He is a great play caller and has tremendous experience.

He's been held accountable. Time to forgive and move on. I'm rooting for him.

Lcubed48 Sun Jul 05, 2015 01:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 964507)
He paid a significant penance last year. Hopefully he's worked on anger management and done some quality introspection. If so, I think it's time to move on and give the man a fresh shot. He is a great play caller and has tremendous experience.

He's been held accountable. Time to forgive and move on. I'm rooting for him.

+1 #Like

Nevadaref Sun Jul 05, 2015 07:03pm

Assignors want people who can get the job done without causing problems that they have to deal with.

Even if the person who doesn't cause issues is somewhat of a lesser official, my experience is that an assignor will prefer that person to the better official who takes up more of his personal time.

My opinion is that Hess had his time and didn't manage it well. It's time to move on and give others the opportunity.

JRutledge Mon Jul 06, 2015 03:16am

Yeah but it must be noted that guys at this level often are preferred over someone they do not know. So much money is at stake and the coaches often prefer guys like Hess that have the resume' and they know what they are going to get over some young whipper snapper they have never seen a day in their life. Yes supervisors want less problems, but they do not get rid of the big time vets very easily. There is a reason you see so many of them hang around for a long period of time.

So as much as I could see Hess never getting a shot again, I doubt seriously that is going to happen unless he wants to go away. Right or wrong someone trust him a lot more than they do some guy with no NCAA Tournament experience and no proven record of calling the game at that level.

Peace

Raymond Mon Jul 06, 2015 01:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shreck daddy (Post 964544)
Hope Mr Hess is back as it is not like he had a major crime. How many of us have not wanted to do the same thing...

Comment about an obnoxious fan's ethnicity? Not me.

Adam Mon Jul 06, 2015 02:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 964545)

I'm not going to comment on whether he should get another chance, that's not up to me. I agree with BNR, this isn't something I've ever wanted to do.

If we expect coaches and players to maintain their composure in these intense situations, we should be expecting the same of each other. I'm guessing Karl would agree, though.

Camron Rust Mon Jul 06, 2015 03:15pm

Quote:

Most people have flaws, even substantial flaws. He let his come out. It was pretty bad. But, that doesn't necessarily mean he should be fired.

I know a lot of officials that have flaws...one is in my office right now in fact ;). I don't wish those with flaws to be fired. There are some that should be, but not for a single issue.

JRutledge Mon Jul 06, 2015 06:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 964550)
Most people have flaws, even substantial flaws. He let his come out. It was pretty bad. But, that doesn't necessarily mean he should be fired.

I know a lot of officials that have flaws...one is in my office right now in fact ;). I don't wish those with flaws to be fired. There are some that should be, but not for a single issue.

Flaws get people fired from all kinds of jobs. Not sure why this is any different? And it is in a sport that has a lot of ethnic people involved.

Peace

JRutledge Mon Jul 06, 2015 06:24pm

Quote:

I cannot even say that this does not apply to me, but it was not in the same situation. I had a fan call me something last week something that was offensive and I came real close to responding, but I thought better of it even if I would have felt better doing it. ;)

Peace

Rich Mon Jul 06, 2015 06:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 964549)
I'm not going to comment on whether he should get another chance, that's not up to me. I agree with BNR, this isn't something I've ever wanted to do.

If we expect coaches and players to maintain their composure in these intense situations, we should be expecting the same of each other. I'm guessing Karl would agree, though.

An ethnic/racist comment would be the last thing to come out of my mouth. First off, I just don't think that way. Secondly, I know better.

I hope he enjoys his retirement.

Camron Rust Mon Jul 06, 2015 07:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 964553)
Flaws get people fired from all kinds of jobs. Not sure why this is any different? And it is in a sport that has a lot of ethnic people involved.

Peace

Big picture. I don't know what was said or done but most employers look at everything when deciding to hire/fire, not a single issue, unless that issue is so egregious they don't have a choice.

Have you ever been late for work? Did they fire you?