The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 08, 2015, 12:59pm
NFHS Official

NFHS 2015-16 Points of Emphasis

Basketball Points of Emphasis - 2015-16

1. POST PLAY

New information has been added to the Rule Book that addresses cleaning up post play.

It is legal for offensive and defensive players to touch when both are maintaining a legally established position. Illegal contact on a post player is any tactic using hands or arms or just generally demonstrates rough physical movements that allows a player on offense or defense to control the movement of an opposing player.

It is a foul and should be ruled as such when:

a. An opponent is displaced from a legally established or obtained position;
b. An arm-bar is extended and displaces an opponent;
c. A locked and/or extended elbow displaces an opponent;
d. A leg or knee is used in the rear of an opponent to hold or displace;
e. Holding, hooking, slapping, pinning or pushing the leg or body of an opponent;
f. An offensive post player “backs-down” and displaces the defender once that defender has established a legal guarding position.

2. REBOUNDING

One of the leading causes of injury in high school basketball continues to be the result of illegal contact that takes place during rebounding. Any activity to illegally gain rebounding position on an opponent must be properly enforced and penalized. Some examples of illegal rebounding activity are:

a. Displacing, charging or pushing an opponent;
b. Extending the arms or elbows to impede the movement of an opponent;
c. Using the hips or knees to hinder or impede an opponent;
d. Violation of the principle of verticality;
e. Contact between players in free-throw lane spaces prior to the ball being released by the free thrower.

Rebounders include each player involved in the act, whether an offensive or defensive player. It is a coach’s responsibility to teach players the proper rule based technics of legal rebounding.

3. FREE THROW SHOOTER

Rule 9-1-3g was revised in 2014-15 to allow a player occupying a marked lane space to enter the lane on the release of the ball by the free thrower. As a result of this change, protection of the free thrower needs to be emphasized. On release of the ball by the free thrower, the defender boxing out shall not cross the free-throw line extended into the semicircle until the ball contacts the ring or backboard. A player, other than the free thrower, who does not occupy a marked lane space, may not have either foot beyond the vertical plane of the free-throw line extended and the three-point line which is farther from the basket until the ball touches the ring or backboard or until the free throw ends.

4. NFHS SIGNALS AND MECHANICS

The NFHS Basketball Officials Manual was revised for 2015-16. Officials are reminded that, when officiating a high school basketball game, the proper NFHS signals and NFHS mechanics are to be used.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2015, 01:21pm
Courageous When Prudent

I'm glad they are emphasizing rebounding action, because sometimes I feel like I'm on an island on cleaning that mess up when I work HS games.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2015, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Someone please provide a citation from the NFHS RULES stating that 2e is illegal.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2015, 03:15pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Someone please provide a citation from the NFHS RULES stating that 2e is illegal.
Like anything else, wouldn't it depend on the contact? One player reaching/leaning into the adjoining space, if not addressed it may escalate to the point where the arm or jersey is grabbed before or simultaneously with the release.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Jun 08, 2015, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
8-4-g. not more than one player can occupy lane space. if two players are touching it is likely one of them is in the other space.

AND, after thinking about it for few seconds..they are talking about the second slot moving in early or the first slot doing same. those are violations that need to be enforced.

Last edited by BigCat; Mon Jun 08, 2015 at 03:41pm.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2015, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
8-4-g. not more than one player can occupy lane space. if two players are touching it is likely one of them is in the other space.

AND, after thinking about it for few seconds..they are talking about the second slot moving in early or the first slot doing same. those are violations that need to be enforced.
Nevada's right. Occupying a space and making contact with an opponent are two different things. Other than positioning the lane space restrictions are 9-1-3d and 9-1-3g. Neither of those mentions anything about making contact with an opponent. If there's illegal contact, call a foul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Like anything else, wouldn't it depend on the contact? One player reaching/leaning into the adjoining space, if not addressed it may escalate to the point where the arm or jersey is grabbed before or simultaneously with the release.
And if that happens, call the foul. They'll stop.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Mon Jun 08, 2015, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Nevada's right. Occupying a space and making contact with an opponent are two different things. Other than positioning the lane space restrictions are 9-1-3d and 9-1-3g. Neither of those mentions anything about making contact with an opponent. If there's illegal contact, call a foul.

And if that happens, call the foul. They'll stop.
So I can be in the first slot and lift my right leg and lay it across your left leg or place my right arm against your chest? I disagree. a player has a space. verticality applies. if a player lifts an arm or leg into the other space (even if not touching ground) im going to tell them immediately to knock it off. if they dont i will call the violation. (or put delayed violation sign out etc. )

Again, i think they are after the players going all in early as opposed to guys in the spaces making a bit of contact with hands arms...

Last edited by BigCat; Mon Jun 08, 2015 at 04:38pm.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2015, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So I can be in the first slot and lift my right leg and lay it across your left leg or place my right arm against your chest? I disagree. a player has a space. verticality applies. if a player lifts an arm or leg into the other space (even if not touching ground) im going to tell them immediately to knock it off. if they dont i will call the violation. (or put delayed violation sign out etc. )

Again, i think they are after the players going all in early as opposed to guys in the spaces making a bit of contact with hands arms...
1. The first line under Verticality in NF 4-45 says "Verticality applies to a legal position." By rule there is (generally) nothing illegal about just touching someone - during a FT or otherwise.

2. The situation you describe of "lift(ing) my right leg and lay(ing) it across your left leg)" is already a violation under 9-1-3g because a player would have to move their right foot beyond the edge of their lane space. So by all means, call the violation.

3. A player moving their arm into someone else's lane space is not a violation by rule. If there's enough contact it may be a foul. If that's the case, call the foul.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Mon Jun 08, 2015, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

You are speaking of calling a violation. POE #2 is instructing officials to call fouls when the listed items occur. Vastly different and my contention is that 2e cannot be justified by the rules. No where within them is a simple touch of an opponent in a neighboring FT lane space stated to be a foul.
A POE during a previous season made the same comment and I wrote then that it was not accurate. This is nothing more than someone attempting to create a ruling through their editorial position or task of crafting the language for the POEs.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2015, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So I can be in the first slot and lift my right leg and lay it across your left leg or place my right arm against your chest? I disagree. a player has a space. verticality applies. if a player lifts an arm or leg into the other space (even if not touching ground) im going to tell them immediately to knock it off. if they dont i will call the violation. (or put delayed violation sign out etc. ).
Excuse me, but what violation are you calling when a player sticks his arm into the neighboring lane space (either with or without contact)?
Old Mon Jun 08, 2015, 07:50pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
{C}all the foul. They'll stop.
I had this happen in a MS-G game almost two years ago. The jostling contact between A1 & B1 was enough enough in my judgment to call a double foul. The fans didn't like it, the coaches seemed confused, but my partner said it was a good call.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball

Last edited by Stat-Man; Mon Jun 08, 2015 at 07:51pm. Reason: revised for clarity
Old Mon Jun 08, 2015, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You are speaking of calling a violation. POE #2 is instructing officials to call fouls when the listed items occur. Vastly different and my contention is that 2e cannot be justified by the rules. No where within them is a simple touch of an opponent in a neighboring FT lane space stated to be a foul.
A POE during a previous season made the same comment and I wrote then that it was not accurate. This is nothing more than someone attempting to create a ruling through their editorial position or task of crafting the language for the POEs.
Poe 1, clearly is calling for fouls. Poe 2 says "Illegal activity" includes....Not necessarily requiring foul call. They could have said again in 2 that it is a foul....
Old Mon Jun 08, 2015, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Poe 1, clearly is calling for fouls. Poe 2 says "Illegal activity" includes....Not necessarily requiring foul call. They could have said again in 2 that it is a foul....
1. The items listed in 2a through 2d all clearly pertain to fouls not violations, yet you contend that e is different. I don't agree.

2. The text of 2e begins "Contact between players..." Please name one single example of contact between players resulting in a violation. (Or you can just admit that you are wrong.)
Old Mon Jun 08, 2015, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
1. The items listed in 2a through 2d all clearly pertain to fouls not violations, yet you contend that e is different. I don't agree.

2. The text of 2e begins "Contact between players..." Please name one single example of contact between players resulting in a violation. (Or you can just admit that you are wrong.)
law school 101. number 1 specifically says the following are "fouls." POE 2 say the following are "illegal activity." i agree a -d are fouls. e, contact between players in a lane space before free thrower releases ball --can be violation or foul.

consider that in the context of what we see happening in high school now---second lane spot may move in early and shove first under. first may hit second early to keep him from pushing him under.

the poe is telling you to watch for "illegal activity" in that situation. doesnt mean you have to call a foul. get the person who goes in early.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2015, 09:50pm
NFHS Official

It says properly enforced and penalized. Which means the enforcement could be a violation or a foul, whichever one applies to the situation. The way I see 2E, is that in those times that a player reaches across the vertical edge of his lane boundary into the opponents lane spot and makes contact, it should be a violation. By getting this when it happens, it will stop any further activity once the shot goes up.

Last edited by OKREF; Mon Jun 08, 2015 at 09:53pm.