The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 31, 2015, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Summer Leagues - HS

Starting up summer leagues here and I've already given 3 T's in about 6 games. 2 coaches and 1 player. I don't know about everyone else but my tolerance for griping during summer league is much less. T's as far as I know aren't reported to anyone and no one is punished. Do you guys give more during summer league? We're already paid less and the gyms are hot. Why put up with stuff too?
Old Sun May 31, 2015, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Don't put up with much crap in any offseason leagues or scrimmages. Not paid enough to put up with it. If I take heat from an assigner/league director for not tolerating crap, I'll simply stop working those games.
Old Mon Jun 01, 2015, 06:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindolbat View Post
Do you guys give more during summer league?
Yep, more so to coaches since many of them aren't really coaches and don't tend to have sense.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Mon Jun 01, 2015, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

I gave out only 2 Ts this year during 3 + months of HS ball. I'll only work about 3 weekends of summer ball, but on average give out 4-6 Ts for various reasons.

I just don't have much tolerance or desire to put up with any BS during a summer league game where all I'm getting paid is $25.
Old Mon Jun 01, 2015, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

I gave one to a coach the other night. Summer is a really good time to practice such things. Nice and easy. No emotion. Stay professional and move on. The rest of the game was smoover n buttah.
Old Thu Jun 04, 2015, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

I had 5 in the 2nd half of a game last weekend. That was more than I called the entire HS season.
Old Thu Jun 04, 2015, 05:58pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Thumbs up

HS spring leagues are over and we've just started summer leagues. So far, thankfully, we've had no discipline problems.
Old Fri Jun 05, 2015, 11:58am
This IS My Social Life

Question:
Does a summer league scrimmage or league help you or those doing them become better officials?
If not, boycott.
Seriously.
I'm doing that tomorrow and Sunday. And encouraging others as well.
Just got email from local prominent coach: "Need bodies for tomorrow...32 teams coming...blah, blah, blah...all games will be 2-person games only...try to take 8 games if possible..."blah, blah, blah..."
Note: "...bodies..." That's what he considers us.
It's time for dedicated officals to differentiate between "they need me" and "I need this opportunity to get better."
I'm sick of trying to break officials of habits during the school season of shortcut habits they pick up doing eight games a day every weekend during the summer season.
Stop it.
If you have to do things to "conserve energy" in order to make it through the day, you've prostituted yourself.
Seriously.
Stop it.
Really.
Don't do that.

Get it? Got it? Good.

Last edited by Freddy; Fri Jun 05, 2015 at 12:43pm.
Old Fri Jun 05, 2015, 12:50pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrStBballRef View Post
I gave out only 2 Ts this year during 3 + months of HS ball.
So, during those 3+ months, you only reffed one quarter?
Old Tue Jun 09, 2015, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

I love this! Well said! Summer is definitely a great time to work on some things. It's also a great time to become a bit lazy and digress into bad habits. Not ever a good thing...especially the summer when one of the POEs is "Use NFHS mechanics".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Question:
Does a summer league scrimmage or league help you or those doing them become better officials?
If not, boycott.
Seriously.
Just got email from local prominent coach: "Need bodies for tomorrow...32 teams coming...blah, blah, blah...all games will be 2-person games only...try to take 8 games if possible..."blah, blah, blah..."
It's time for dedicated officals to differentiate between "they need me" and "I need this opportunity to get better."
I'm sick of trying to break officials of habits during the school season of shortcut habits they pick up doing eight games a day every weekend during the summer season.
Stop it.
If you have to do things to "conserve energy" in order to make it through the day, you've prostituted yourself.
Seriously.
Stop it.
Really.
Don't do that.

Get it? Got it? Good.
Old Tue Jun 09, 2015, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by #olderthanilook View Post
I love this! Well said! Summer is definitely a great time to work on some things. It's also a great time to become a bit lazy and digress into bad habits. Not ever a good thing...especially the summer when one of the POEs is "Use NFHS mechanics".
I've said it before, but the only games I work during the summer are camp games or games assigned (and required to be worked) by an actual assignor of games in the regular season.

Since I moved, I don't have the latter, so I only work camp games. But I once worked for someone that assigned small college and required a certain number of summer youth games to be worked. I worked the minimum required. The basketball was bad, coaches were worse, and there was no benefit to me working them.
Old Wed Jun 10, 2015, 02:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Question:
If not, boycott.
Seriously.
Stop it.
Seriously.
Stop it.
Really.
Don't do that.

Get it? Got it? Good.
Amen, Brother...
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Wed Jun 10, 2015, 07:23am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgc99 View Post
I've said it before, but the only games I work during the summer are camp games or games assigned (and required to be worked) by an actual assignor of games in the regular season.

Since I moved, I don't have the latter, so I only work camp games. But I once worked for someone that assigned small college and required a certain number of summer youth games to be worked. I worked the minimum required. The basketball was bad, coaches were worse, and there was no benefit to me working them.
Where are you living now?
Old Thu Jun 11, 2015, 11:58am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Question:
If not, boycott.
Seriously.
Stop it.
Seriously.
Stop it.
Really.
Don't do that.

Get it? Got it? Good
You lost me here.
Old Fri Jun 12, 2015, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Freddy - GREAT POST !!!!

Unfortunately that is where our avocation has gone......people even on this site
will do 8 games a day on weekends and walk with $450 for a weekend. They aren't switching on fouls, walking up the court and not using proper mechanics....I watched a hs game this past year where two guys that are prostitutes on weekend did a hs game together. When the lead would call a foul, the trail would report the foul, this way they never switched...... these are the same guys that are complaining about everything in our meetings....I'm almost afraid to say that hs basketball is filled with "rec" referees !!!!