The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 13, 2015, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

NBA rule?

So watching near the end of the 4th quarter this weekend, (I can't remember which game it actually was) the team behind rolled the inbounds pass after a made basket, to delay the clock from starting, no big deal, normal strategy. But what I noticed is that the official started a visible count while the ball was rolling on the ground, before it was first legally touched. Is there an NBA rule that requires an inbounded ball be touched within a certain time limit? I had never noticed before. And I actually saw it happen 2 or 3 more times within the same game, so I'm pretty sure it wasn't a fluke thing where the official was just absent mindedly counting. If anyone knows (APG....) please comment
Old Wed May 13, 2015, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Ball only has to be released within 5 seconds...you were perhaps mistaking what the official was doing for a count.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed May 13, 2015, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Boy, it sure looked like a deliberate count. Thanks anyways, if I happen to see it again, I'll note the game and time