The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 04, 2015, 10:35pm
In Time Out

it won't work for all the games but I think for the sweet 16 on I'd like to see an a different replay system. Take it away from the refs on the floor. They take too long but mainly I think there is something where they can't see it from an outside perspective. Those refs who did the game if they had been watching on tv I can assure you they would have called that a flagrant. But if you are reffing perhaps you just don't notice it, some kind of mental block. Nothing against the refs. They did fine in my opinion but that call was a complete miss and I think that is a failure with the current replay system.
Old Sat Apr 04, 2015, 10:39pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
Look if you want to ask why that wasn't called a F1, that is great, but to post an article of a bunch of tweets from drunken fans is absurd. Join us in a healthy intelligent debate.....
Edited so nobody else misses the point.

And yes, I'm curious to know what their thought process was that allowed them to miss this clear call.
Old Sat Apr 04, 2015, 10:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefg View Post

And yes, I'm curious to know what their thought process was that allowed them to miss this clear call.
You will have to ask them. None of us were the officials on the game.

Peace
Old Sat Apr 04, 2015, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Guys, I cleaned up the thread...mostly for the post claiming bias (one poster) and subsequent replies that quoted said post.

Keep the discussion on actual officiating (which most of y'all actually have done) and not on questioning the integrity of the officials.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Apr 04, 2015, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
Guys, I cleaned up the thread...mostly for the post claiming bias (one poster) and subsequent replies that quoted said post.

Keep the discussion on actual officiating (which most of y'all actually have done) and not on questioning the integrity of the officials.
Thanks Dad !!!!! 😉😉😉😉😉
Old Sat Apr 04, 2015, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Because it wasn't flagrant. It wasn't an elbow to the face and it wasn't excessive contact. It was a basic swim move that is a common foul all game. It probably should have been a common foul but would have been wrong to go with a flagrant.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Sat Apr 04, 2015 at 11:05pm.
Old Sat Apr 04, 2015, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Because it wasn't flagrant. It wasn't an elbow to the face and it wasn't excessive contact. It was a basic swim move that is a common foul all game.
He swung. That wasn't a swim move.
Old Sat Apr 04, 2015, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

I have no problem with what Cam just posted, if not mistaken, the try was released with about 1 sec left on shot clock.....MAYBE they took their focus off everything else and got caught up with whether the try was a shot clock violation or not....
Old Sat Apr 04, 2015, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

UK graduate here, should have been a F1. Also should have been OOB and a shot clock violation. Some very good calls, some basically crappy ones.
Old Sat Apr 04, 2015, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

I know it wasn't a college arena, but even in college arenas, when the shot clock goes off you can barely hear it on TV. The same for tonight as well. In an NBA arena, you can always hear the shot clock go off, in addition with the yellow light going off behind the backboard. How you can have a Final Four game without a shot clock yellow light behind the backboard is beyond unacceptable.
Old Sat Apr 04, 2015, 11:50pm
In Time Out

that was not even remotely close to being a basketball move. It was an obvious hit. I thought the Georgetown/EWU was a clear dead ball Tech but this one was even more egregious. There should be an outside replay system for flagrant and dead ball techs in these final games.
Old Sun Apr 05, 2015, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

Devils advocate here as football official so i come in peace.

The vine shows it partially but if you watch you can see where the Wisc kid is grabbing the KU players jersey as he comes across the lane and restricting progress.

As the ball crosses the court the KU players wants to turn and go to the ball. I will assume as when some is grabbing me I want pull away as fast as I can. Now as someone mentioned earlier the KU player show characteristics of swim move.

With his left hand I believe he tries to clear or separate himself from the defender to create space then takes his right arm and swims over top to get to the ball side.

When his left arm comes across he does make contact with the Wisc player above the shoulder in the head area. Then follows that action with the swim move with his right hand. Which is a common move in the game of basketball as players try to separate from defenders.

Now the next aspect is the KU player is 6' 10" and Wisc kid is 6' 4" Thus when the arm comes across at what a 6"10 person feels is not high will look and appear to be really high on a person who is 6" shorter. I am thinking this is another reason this foul was passed on.

Like in football a small back blocking against a taller defensive player i can not penalize him for a low block just because he is short so the opposite could be a factor here.

Just my two cents worth
Old Sun Apr 05, 2015, 02:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
that was not even remotely close to being a basketball move. It was an obvious hit.
You haven't seen much basketball have you?
Old Sun Apr 05, 2015, 02:20am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballref3966 View Post
Great call on the pass and crash just under the 8-minute mark.
Textbook block. Or nothing.
Old Sun Apr 05, 2015, 02:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Textbook block. Or nothing.
No, that was PC.