Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 30, 2015, 07:30am
Esteemed Forum Member

Tough Call ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrounge View Post
I just don't see this as anywhere near as clear cut as everyone else. His lower body seemed to have a bunch of momentum going forward, he didn't really swing or pull up much except to stop the momentum and maybe a little extra. This doesn't cross the threshold into excessive for me, but it's close. If he brought them up more to showboat, then sure, much more understandable call. Even his own coach didn't exactly give a rousing defense.
scrounge: I agree with you. Knowing in advance about the technical foul situation pushed me toward a technical foul the first time I saw the video. On the second look I tried to have an open mind, as if I were the official in the game, and decided that I could live with the technical foul being called, or not.

Either way, I would have preferred to be the lead official in this situation, not looking up. That's why I don't do state finals.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Mar 30, 2015, 07:48am
Huck Finn

http://youtu.be/JvNeRcFdS4Q

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Mon Mar 30, 2015, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

Can see this going either way. Personally, this is not a T. Did he emphasize his play? Sure, but he didn't over do it. Good for the OHSAA guy to back his official, but he's giving incorrect/misinformation rules info isn't he: "...not any players underneath him..." ???
Old Mon Mar 30, 2015, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Precisely

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockitoff View Post
Good for the OHSAA guy to back his official, but he's giving incorrect/misinformation rules info isn't he: "...not any players underneath him..." ???
My thoughts exactly. All Rule 10-3-3 says is "except to prevent injury," which imo, he was doing.

He had created enough momentum trucking down the lane that had he let go of the rim any sooner, he might've landed on his back.
Old Mon Mar 30, 2015, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
That was a great move by the refs(assuming they did it on purpose because it was fairly quick).
It was only a "great move" if you're a fan of the team that benefited.

If you're a fan of the other team, or a fan of basketball, or an official, or you have any sense of fair play, then it was NOT a "great move". Quite the opposite.
Old Mon Mar 30, 2015, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Was the dunk a T? In real time I wouldn't be so sure that his momentum caused his positioning and he held on so he didn't fall and land on his back.

With some replays it's still not very cut and dry. Either way a case can be made for both sides. I personally may not have made the call.
Old Mon Mar 30, 2015, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

As for everything else the duck has said. Your sense of fair play is at the cost of the team that got screwed by any official that doesn't do the impartial thing. So in other words, it's not really fair play because one side gets screwed big time.
Old Mon Mar 30, 2015, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

I don't see enough to warrant the T. His momentum carried him through to a point of it being necessary to hang on to the rim to prevent injury.

Not to get dragged down by the side conversation, but our job is not to make play fit within our definition of fairness. Our job is to enforce the rules as written to ensure fair play as defined by the rules of the game.
Old Mon Mar 30, 2015, 09:30am
Keeper of the HAMMER

If he doesn't hang on the rim, his "momentum" doesn't carry his feet forward and upward like this. This is a great call.
Old Mon Mar 30, 2015, 09:33am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
btw, speaking of a pass. In the Open Championship for California, at the end of regulation one team got the rebound with the game tied with about two seconds to go. A player was calling a TO but his team didn't have any. The refs let it go and the game went into OT. That was a great move by the refs(assuming they did it on purpose because it was fairly quick). It would have been a horrible way to end the game so pass on that T if the situation calls for it.
I'm going to assume they didn't see it. Any official who is too scared to make this call shouldn't be working. The philosophy you allude to here does not belong on the court at any level beyond 6th grade YMCA.
Old Mon Mar 30, 2015, 09:44am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
correct call...I can see why the fans are upset because no one is used to that call, but I think it's clear he added a bit after the dunk and the T could have been called. Sure some refs would have passed on it but I don't fault the ref here at all.

btw, speaking of a pass. In the Open Championship for California, at the end of regulation one team got the rebound with the game tied with about two seconds to go. A player was calling a TO but his team didn't have any. The refs let it go and the game went into OT. That was a great move by the refs(assuming they did it on purpose because it was fairly quick). It would have been a horrible way to end the game so pass on that T if the situation calls for it.
You're either an expert troll or a horrible official.
Old Mon Mar 30, 2015, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
You're either an expert troll or a horrible official.
Why not both?

Expert Horrible Official Troll or EHOT for short?

Last edited by Rich; Mon Mar 30, 2015 at 10:07am. Reason: Didn't mind the image, but it was way too big.
Old Mon Mar 30, 2015, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

I'm seeing a lot of people on that ESPN board roasting this guy for making that call.Sometimes the correct call isn't always the popular call and we're not here to be popular.
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Mon Mar 30, 2015, 10:16am
Administrator

Neither Junior nor I saw the game live because we were officiating in the Ohio Special Olympics State Finals in New Philadelphia, so I had to find the replay of the game on Sports Time Ohio.

The call was correct. Not to mention that everybody in the OhioHSAA office was in attendance not to mention the State Rules Interpreter and I can assure you that if the TF had not been called those officials would have heard about it in the locker room after the game from the State Rules Interpreter.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Mar 30, 2015, 10:25am
Esteemed Participant

Am I missing something here? Didn't this kid basically swing his legs high enough to kick the support? How is that "momentum"??
Closed Thread