The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Louisville/NC State travel on 3pt play (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/99603-louisville-nc-state-travel-3pt-play-video.html)

Nevadaref Sat Mar 28, 2015 04:54am

Louisville/NC State travel on 3pt play (Video)

I'm surprised that no one else has mentioned this yet.
With 3:05 remaining in the Louisville/NC State game there is a discussion worthy play.

The dribbler picks up his dribble just inside the 3pt line with his left foot on the floor. He jumps off that foot and lands on his right foot inside the FT lane. At this time there appears to be arm to arm contact with the defender. Perhaps this is a foul, perhaps not. His left foot then returns to the floor and there is significant contact with the defender. The new Lead in transition begins to call a foul as the offensive player elevates and scores. He counts the baskets and awards one FT.

I have either a travel before the foul or the beginning of the act of shooting, a foul followed by a travel, which cancels the goal, and two FTs. In the game, this offensive player gained a huge illegal advantage by his footwork.

APG Sat Mar 28, 2015 05:46am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLzT3Ouvr2s

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/aLzT3Ouvr2s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Camron Rust Sat Mar 28, 2015 02:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 959365)
I'm surprised that no one else has mentioned this yet.
With 3:05 remaining in the Louisville/NC State game there is a discussion worthy play.

The dribbler picks up his dribble just inside the 3pt line with his left foot on the floor. He jumps off that foot and lands on his right foot inside the FT lane. At this time there appears to be arm to arm contact with the defender. Perhaps this is a foul, perhaps not. His left foot then returns to the floor and there is significant contact with the defender. The new Lead in transition begins to call a foul as the offensive player elevates and scores. He counts the baskets and awards one FT.

I have either a travel before the foul or the beginning of the act of shooting, a foul followed by a travel, which cancels the goal, and two FTs. In the game, this offensive player gained a huge illegal advantage by his footwork.

Since this move is rarely called a travel in absence of contact why would you expect it to called a travel when contact is added?

Rich Sat Mar 28, 2015 03:09pm

Eh, I'm fine with putting the gather in the air on this one.

Camron Rust Sat Mar 28, 2015 03:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 959412)

you are being extremely generous.

Rich Sat Mar 28, 2015 03:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 959414)
you are being extremely generous.

It's judgment, though. What's a gather to one isn't quite a gather to another. Benefit of the doubt goes to the player with the ball, IMO.

I like the game being called like this. Always have. Not bothered that reality doesn't meet the letter of the written rule, either.

I'm sure I had an offensive player in the lane for more than 3 seconds more than 4 times this season, but I'm not bothered that I "missed" those violations, either.

APG Sat Mar 28, 2015 03:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 959412)

I would have the gather in the air as well

JRutledge Sat Mar 28, 2015 03:27pm

Most plays like this I have a gather in the air.

Peace

bballref3966 Sat Mar 28, 2015 04:40pm

Give him continuous motion.

maroonx Sun Mar 29, 2015 09:51am

I don't see a gather on that move no matter how many times I see it. Clearly offensive player got an advantage on an illegal move to the basket.

Camron Rust Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 959415)
It's judgment, though. What's a gather to one isn't quite a gather to another. Benefit of the doubt goes to the player with the ball, IMO.

I like the game being called like this. Always have. Not bothered that reality doesn't meet the letter of the written rule, either.

I'm sure I had an offensive player in the lane for more than 3 seconds more than 4 times this season, but I'm not bothered that I "missed" those violations, either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 959416)
I would have the gather in the air as well

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 959417)
Most plays like this I have a gather in the air.

Peace

While I too might very well have it in the air in real time, that doesn't change the fact that the video shows that he really had it held in two hands before he jumped. We can dance around it all day but the video doesn't lie.

ballgame99 Mon Mar 30, 2015 08:52am

I had a travel live and still do, but my opinion would probably be different if I'm that L, on the run, and from that angle.

JugglingReferee Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:02pm

I have a travel due to the dribble ending while the left foot is still on the floor. I will admit that it's close, though. I'd love to see it called a travel.

HokiePaul Mon Mar 30, 2015 02:13pm

I can see a travel call; or a foul call in the act of shooting (as was called by the officials), but I can't see calling both on this play.

I think the travel, if it happened, occured before the contact on the arm and the contact on the arm would be ignored.

Nevadaref Mon Mar 30, 2015 02:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballgame99 (Post 959556)
I had a travel live and still do, but my opinion would probably be different if I'm that L, on the run, and from that angle.

I believe that the C has to get this travel.