The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 30, 2015, 08:15pm
Courageous When Prudent

You cannot legally request a time-out during a live ball until there is player control. There is a time element in gaining control. There is a time element in requesting a time-out. To say both happened simultaneously without any time elapsing is a stretch.
Old Mon Mar 30, 2015, 08:20pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
You cannot legally request a time-out during a live ball until there is player control. There is a time element in gaining control. There is a time element in requesting a time-out. To say both happened simultaneously without any time elapsing is a stretch.
From what I can gather here, there doesn't seem to be any rule or standard for how much time to take off in this situation, so rather than make a guess in the form of tenths of a second, they leave it as is. That doesn't make much sense either, but if there were a standard, I'm sure they would have gone with it.
Old Mon Mar 30, 2015, 08:25pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk314 View Post
From what I can gather here, there doesn't seem to be any rule or standard for how much time to take off in this situation, so rather than make a guess in the form of tenths of a second, they leave it as is. That doesn't make much sense either, but if there were a standard, I'm sure they would have gone with it.
The case book says that something needs to come off: In (c), the official may put the correct time on the clock, but must make some allowance for the touching by A1 – likely 10ths of a second, if displayed. The ball is put in play nearest to where it was located when the stoppage occurred to correct the timing mistake. A “do over” is not permitted in (c), since the throw-in had ended. (4-36; 5-10-1)

So, to leave it as is, is not acceptable.
Old Mon Mar 30, 2015, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
You have definite knowledge that some time more than zero should have run off. If I truly thought it was an instantaneous possession/timeout, I'd go with 0.1.

The case referenced by Bob supports this logic in my opinion.
That is not the definition of definite knowledge.
Old Mon Mar 30, 2015, 08:33pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
That is not the definition of definite knowledge.
Definite knowledge is not the key term here, but rather "must make some allowance for the touching."

How much allowance? Apparently it's anybody's guess.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Mar 30, 2015, 08:46pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
The case book says that something needs to come off: In (c), the official may put the correct time on the clock, but must make some allowance for the touching by A1 – likely 10ths of a second, if displayed. The ball is put in play nearest to where it was located when the stoppage occurred to correct the timing mistake. A “do over” is not permitted in (c), since the throw-in had ended. (4-36; 5-10-1)

So, to leave it as is, is not acceptable.
Fair enough, but it seems like there should be a set standard for the time it takes to acquire possession at least.
Old Mon Mar 30, 2015, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Fair enough, but it seems like there should be a set standard for the time it takes to acquire possession at least.
Which is what I wrote back in post #11.
Old Wed Apr 01, 2015, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Is anyone disagreeing with this? I'm not.
Old Wed Apr 01, 2015, 12:38pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I doubt anyone here will disagree with that. But until such a time with do have some guidance to lean on from the case play cited earlier. We have to officiate in the hear and now when on the court and make some decisions on our feet.

Someone needs to nudge those coaches and administrators on the rules committee into addressing the situation.