The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   West Virginia vs Maryland (Video 2/2) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/99579-west-virginia-vs-maryland-video-2-2-a.html)

APG Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 958871)
Illegal screen around the 15:00 mark in the second half. Completely missed by all 3 and it was brutal IMO. By brutal I mean the contact, not in a dirty way.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ox1rtk11m7I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mechanicsman (Post 958913)
Can I request the pass and crash at 1:14 in the second. The crew called block.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dfKizyz9jMI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

AremRed Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:51pm

Play 1: Illegal screen

Play 2: Team control

MechanicGuy Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:56pm

Awful miss.

Raymond Tue Mar 24, 2015 05:09am

Trail should have picked up that illegal screen, ball had left his primary.

ballgame99 Tue Mar 24, 2015 07:59am

1) At what point does it become two guys just running into one another?

I ask because I had a play this year where the two wing guards were looping through the lane to switch sides and one of the offensive players and the opposite defender just didn't see each other and slammed into one another. I had no call since neither player was more responsible for the contact than the other. Is that wrong?

2) that pass and crash looks like an easy PC

deecee Tue Mar 24, 2015 08:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballgame99 (Post 958993)

I ask because I had a play this year where the two wing guards were looping through the lane to switch sides and one of the offensive players and the opposite defender just didn't see each other and slammed into one another. I had no call since neither player was more responsible for the contact than the other. Is that wrong?

A tie goes in the offense's favor as far as I'm concerned. In the rare case its a loose ball and 2 players are going for the ball I would tend to pass. Either way it's not cut and dry, but in collisions I have always been taught to have a whistle.

Mechanicsman Tue Mar 24, 2015 09:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballgame99 (Post 958993)

You can tell the intent of the offensive player was to screen here. He's focused in on that player and in someone of a screening position. When two guys just run into each other they are usually looking the other way. Not to mention he completely took the defender out of the play. It's just judgement.

Rob1968 Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:25am

Watching that game, I was certain those 2 plays would show up here.

That illegal screen/miss was a game changer. Did Trimble even come back into the game after that?

On the second video, WOW! The Maryland player was there so early. I can't see how that was missed.

JugglingReferee Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:46am

Slot missed the illegal screen.

And nowhere near a block. A no-call would have been less inaccurate.

Raymond Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 959020)
Slot missed the illegal screen.

I say that screen is on the Trail. A1 had turned the corner and the Trail was still looking at him. The C should have had A1 at this point, and the Trail should have switched to off-ball coverage.

Jay R Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:58am

I actually see #44 White pushing the dribbler (from behind) into the defender on the second play. I might not have seen that in real time.

Adam Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob1968 (Post 959014)
Watching that game, I was certain those 2 plays would show up here.

That illegal screen/miss was a game changer. Did Trimble even come back into the game after that?

Would that have changed if they made the call?

JugglingReferee Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 959023)
I say that screen is on the Trail. A1 had turned the corner and the Trail was still looking at him. The C should have had A1 at this point, and the Trail should have switched to off-ball coverage.

This foul is rather egregious in my opinion, so any of the three should grab it.

When the ball is up top, the T has it, agreed? If so, then the C needs to look at next point of attack - either a drive or a pass. The player in front of him is not contested, so he gets about 10% of the C's attention. Next he looks to the key, and sees action by A. I think reading the play is very important here. This foul can be picked up by the T, but the C should have it as well, imho. If the C has it, and the T has it as well, I think the T should defer to the C. If the C didn't get it, then the T goes with it.

Raymond Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob1968 (Post 959014)

Yes, then got kicked in the face by his own teammate. Not a good day for Melo.

JugglingReferee Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 959027)
Would that have changed if they made the call?

It's possible that foul shots may have resulted earlier. And calling a foul does have an impact on the reaction of some coaches.

But if that player didn't return to the game, having a call here, I agree, wouldn't have changed that fact. (Assuming that's what you're getting at.)