The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 19, 2015, 09:38pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
I'm not disagreeing with you. I don't think that kind of play is a foul on the defense. The offense jumped into the defense and the defense was sufficiently vertical for me
Yeah, we agree.
Old Thu Mar 19, 2015, 09:41pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
The mistake that was made was NOT putting Jamie Luckie, Ed Corbett, and Bryan Kersey on this game. U of Dayton playing an NCAA tourney game IN Dayton?....needed 3 guys that would call a foul and not be influenced by the environment.

That was a foul. Defender was NOT vertical (check out his arms stretched out towards the shooter that made contact w/ the shooter). Boise St. deserved a better whistle than they got on that play.
Troll much?

@JohnHigginsHair was on the game. Doesn't get more big time than thst. Padilla's a PAC12 official and Kelly works in the ACC.
Old Thu Mar 19, 2015, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Better quality clip of play:

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Mar 19, 2015, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
Better quality clip of play:

From that view it appears to me that the angle between the arm and the vertical of the player is about 30 degrees. Those of you who see this player as okay vertically, is that because you think the angle is less than that or because you think that amount of leaning over a shooter is okay?
Old Fri Mar 20, 2015, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

The one issue I have on this play is that the trail official does not signal the 3 point try. As I said earlier, I'm okay with the no-call, but the trail official invites extra scrutiny by not signalling the 3pt try. It makes me question how engaged he was in the play.

If he had appeared more engaged and signaled the 3pt try, I would be more confident in supporting a no-call.
Old Fri Mar 20, 2015, 09:35am
Stubborn Member

While the defender is not perfectly vertical, and may even be outside his own verticality, you can't dismiss the fact that the shooter is clearly jumping into the defender to try and draw a foul. By calling a shooting foul here you're bailing out the shooter.

Also, if the shooter wasn't jumping into the defense to draw a foul, the contact wouldn't have happened in the first place, making the shooter at least partially at fault. Should his fault be pushed aside? I don't think so.

No call.
Old Fri Mar 20, 2015, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
While the defender is not perfectly vertical, and may even be outside his own verticality, you can't dismiss the fact that the shooter is clearly jumping into the defender to try and draw a foul. By calling a shooting foul here you're bailing out the shooter.

Also, if the shooter wasn't jumping into the defense to draw a foul, the contact wouldn't have happened in the first place, making the shooter at least partially at fault. Should his fault be pushed aside? I don't think so.

No call.
I'm fine with that analysis. Or at least fine enough not to wander into the weeds of it, but your at clear disagreement with a number of people on this board who say he was in his own vertical space.
Old Fri Mar 20, 2015, 10:16am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
... your at clear disagreement with a number of people on this board who say he was in his own vertical space.
I didn't not say he was or wasn't vertical. I said that "while the defender is not perfectly vertical, and may even be outside his own verticality..."
Old Fri Mar 20, 2015, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

It appears to me that the contact, caused by the shooter, is on the hand of the shooter which is holding the ball. There is not enough responsibility for illegal contact by the defender to call a foul.
Old Fri Mar 20, 2015, 10:27am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
I'm fine with that analysis. Or at least fine enough not to wander into the weeds of it, but your at clear disagreement with a number of people on this board who say he was in his own vertical space.
Oh, the defender was not vertical. But I have the shooter moving forward into his stationary arm and creating contact with an unnatural shooting motion.
Old Fri Mar 20, 2015, 11:16am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgc99 View Post
The one issue I have on this play is that the trail official does not signal the 3 point try. As I said earlier, I'm okay with the no-call, but the trail official invites extra scrutiny by not signalling the 3pt try. It makes me question how engaged he was in the play.

If he had appeared more engaged and signaled the 3pt try, I would be more confident in supporting a no-call.
It tells me he was engaged and trying to watch the whole play. He likely was focussed on deciding whether to make a call, and by the time he decided, the ball was flying OOB anyway.
Old Fri Mar 20, 2015, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
It appears to me that the contact, caused by the shooter, is on the hand of the shooter which is holding the ball. There is not enough responsibility for illegal contact by the defender to call a foul.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Oh, the defender was not vertical. But I have the shooter moving forward into his stationary arm and creating contact with an unnatural shooting motion.
And, the first point of contact appeared to be the defenders armpit area, not the arm that was over the shooter. Any contact with the lower arm was secondary at that point.
Old Fri Mar 20, 2015, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
The mistake that was made was NOT putting Jamie Luckie, Ed Corbett, and Bryan Kersey on this game. U of Dayton playing an NCAA tourney game IN Dayton?....needed 3 guys that would call a foul and not be influenced by the environment.

That was a foul. Defender was NOT vertical (check out his arms stretched out towards the shooter that made contact w/ the shooter). Boise St. deserved a better whistle than they got on that play.
I would like to refund you a penny.
Old Fri Mar 20, 2015, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
One could say that by not calling a foul, you're bailing out the defender who did not play good defense...cause honestly, the defender was not playing good defense here. He jumps at a 3 point shooter. At the point of contact, the defender is nowhere near vertical....if you want to say the contact is marginal, I can see that. But let's not act like this defender plays good defense or was anywhere near vertical.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Mar 20, 2015, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

From a former official (me) - I see a try with contact between arm of shooter and defender's arm with defender trying to contest the shot with arms forward and up (outside defender's verticality). A1 is under no obligation to avoid defender's positioning. Foul.