Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Block/Charge/No Call? (Video)

Thoughts??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1dmmEbW03A

Last edited by APG; Thu Mar 05, 2015 at 10:27am. Reason: embed
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

the first play in the video is a good no call…as for the dunk off of the steal….well, that is absolutely NOT a block (as the official called). By rule, that is an obvious PC foul - whether it gets called or not is another matter.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 10:25am
Courageous When Prudent

What is definite is that there should have been a T for taunting after the dunk.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Wow, what a sequence. First play looks like a block, count the bucket.

The second looks like a PC if anything, I'm leaning towards no call on that one since the defender is bailing out which minimized the actual contact that occurred. Defender definitely establishes LGP. Also would consider a taunting T after the dunk.\

Also notice that the C has completely bailed on the first play. He is higher than the T and doesn't come back to help on the press either.

Last edited by ballgame99; Thu Mar 05, 2015 at 10:31am.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 11:49am
Often wrong never n doubt

I have no call, followed by no call (would have been pc but him falling early made contact minimal)l, followed by a T for taunting. I would reconsider the T if I had a different angle that showed something different. From this angle it appears to be a taunt.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Potential block on the first call but I'd likely pass.

PC on the second situation. Defender had position in time. It might be OK to no call, but it isn't a block...too many feel that have to call something here and just find it easier to just go with a block regardless of the rules.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Thirty seconds left in a close game. I wouldn't want to call a technical in that situation - I'm not saying it would be an incorrect call, but if it was the first time all game, I would prefer to remind him to knock it off when he first starts taunting.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 12:10pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffM View Post
Thirty seconds left in a close game. I wouldn't want to call a technical in that situation - I'm not saying it would be an incorrect call, but if it was the first time all game, I would prefer to remind him to knock it off when he first starts taunting.
I don't care if there's 1 second left and he just tied the game with the dunk, that's a T every time, IMO. If you've been letting this go all game, then sure, don't make it for the first time now. But I'm guessing he hasn't done this the rest of the game so you don't have to worry about what you've been letting go.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 12:26pm
Often wrong never n doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I don't care if there's 1 second left and he just tied the game with the dunk, that's a T every time, IMO. If you've been letting this go all game, then sure, don't make it for the first time now. But I'm guessing he hasn't done this the rest of the game so you don't have to worry about what you've been letting go.
This reminds me of a play I had last year. Partner calls a foul on V player on a made bucket with 12 seconds to go. This bucket tied the game. V player turns his back to my partner (I'm in the C partner was L) and said that's BS. I T'ed him. His coach told me that was a huge call in the situation and I told the coach all the more reason for him to retain his composure.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 12:30pm
Administrator

The first play is a 50-50 situation. I am leaning toward a charge but the L really had the best look at it and in my opinion there was a foul either a block or charge. The second one was a major charge and the L just flat out missed it.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

speaking from the FIBA rule set:

1st play - I have no foul on this play.

2nd play - the defender would be awfully close to being inside the no-charge semi-circle so if he were a call on the offense would be incorrect, wouldn't call a block on the defender as he did have LGP just not completely outside the no-charge semi-circle. Assuming the defender was completely outside the no-charge area I see the defender establishing LGP before the offense is airborne so a charge would be the call I'd make.

3rd play - End of a close game and an exciting play where everyone is amped up. I'm probably not going to T this unless there have been issues prior to this time in the game. I'd say something to the player for sure about sportsmanship but I'm unlikely to T the player for the emotional reaction to a high intensity play.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 12:37pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref_in_Alberta View Post
speaking from the FIBA rule set:

1st play - I have no foul on this play.

2nd play - the defender would be awfully close to being inside the no-charge semi-circle so if he were a call on the offense would be incorrect, wouldn't call a block on the defender as he did have LGP just not completely outside the no-charge semi-circle. Assuming the defender was completely outside the no-charge area I see the defender establishing LGP before the offense is airborne so a charge would be the call I'd make.

3rd play - End of a close game and an exciting play where everyone is amped up. I'm probably not going to T this unless there have been issues prior to this time in the game. I'd say something to the player for sure about sportsmanship but I'm unlikely to T the player for the emotional reaction to a high intensity play.

There is not RA in the 2nd Play. And I forgot the taunting foul that was not called.

And yes there was a foul in the 1st Play either a block or a charge.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 01:08pm
In Time Out

anyone see that steal. that was a really slick play.

no call on the first. just some incidental contact, let it go. Too many refs call something there when there is no reason to call a foul.

No call on the second. As for the possible T....hmm. I'd say no for the reasons mentioned by Alberta above but that is very close. That one could go either way.

Nice video!

Last edited by mutantducky; Thu Mar 05, 2015 at 01:11pm.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 01:13pm
AremRed

I've got no calls on both, but that's probably the most obvious taunting T ever. This is why you DON'T LEAVE THE SCENE OF THE FOUL EARLY. Shame on all of you guys saying it's too late in the game or to close of a game to call a T. It's never too late to enforce good sportsmanship.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 01:26pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffM View Post
30 seconds left in the game and the offending team is up 70-61, it's a no-brainer for me. What good is a reminder at this point?