The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

coach's box

We had a situation the other night, where the team bench chairs, were outside of the coach's box. There were four chairs outside of the box toward the mid court and the table.it is unclear who is set here presumably, the head coach and his assistants.

One of our officials always move the chairs back into the coaches box area as the other team did not have any chairs toward the mid court all their chairs were from the coach's box toward the end line.

The home team, who had the chairs toward the mid court, complains and wrote a letter to the Executive Board. They want to be able to keep four chairs outside of the coach's box for coaches. I've looked into the rulebook but can I find a rule saying they cannot have chairs outside of the coach's box. Thoughts?

Last edited by Terrapins Fan; Thu Mar 05, 2015 at 10:29am.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

by the way after quite a few rough years, it's good to be a Terrapin fan again.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 09:45am
Keeper of the HAMMER

They can put the chairs where they want, but if the HC starts out sitting in one of those chairs that isn't within the box, he doesn't get to use the box.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
by the way after quite a few rough years, it's good to be a Terrapin fan again.
Go Terps! Moving to the B1G has worked out well for the men and the women.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
They can put the chairs where they want, but if the HC starts out sitting in one of those chairs that isn't within the box, he doesn't get to use the box.
Rule citation please...
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAREF View Post
Rule citation please...
You really need a rule citation to tell you that the coach has to be in the coaching box?

Really?

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by md longhorn View Post
you really need a rule citation to tell you that the coach has to be in the coaching box?

Really?
+1
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 10:20am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Quote:
Rule citation please...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
You really need a rule citation to tell you that the coach has to be in the coaching box?

Really?
No, he wants a rule citation that says that a coach who starts the game seated outside the coach's box may not then use the box for the rest of the game:

10.5.1 SITUATION C:

The coach of Team B sits on the opposite end of the bench from where the optional coaching box is located. The coach rises only when *permitted by rule.

RULING: Legal. The coach is not required to use the optional coaching box even though it has been adopted by the state association. However, if the coach begins the game by sitting somewhere other than where the box is located, he/she may not use the box privileges any time during the game. The coach must begin the game in a position within the box if he/she wishes to stand when *permitted under the optional coaching-box provisions.

Let's not be so quick to jump on folks if we're not following the what's being said in the thread.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post

Really?
I would like to see the rule that says that a coach is required to sit on a chair or spot on the bench that is within the coaching box.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 10:21am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I would like to see the rule that says that a coach is required to sit on a chair or spot on the bench that is within the coaching box.
Look above your post.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Case Book

Case Book Rule 10.5.1 Situatiation C in the ruling it says he must start the game in the box.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

1-13-1 states that game management designates the location of the benches. I think I can safely assume that the home team would be game management in this situation since it is not a neutral court.

Could they, if they want it, use chairs all the way up to the scores table for players while keeping the coaches inside the coaches box? What if, they did not do the same thing for the visiting team?
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 10:40am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
1-13-1 states that game management designates the location of the benches. I think I can safely assume that the home team would be game management in this situation since it is not a neutral court.

Could they, if they want it, use chairs all the way up to the scores table for players while keeping the coaches inside the coaches box? What if, they did not do the same thing for the visiting team?
1-13-1 and it's case play answers your question.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Thanks.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 10:45am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert E. Harrison View Post
Case Book Rule 10.5.1 Situatiation C in the ruling it says he must start the game in the box.
It says he must start the game in the box in order to use the box. He is free to sit in a chair outside the box and stay there for the rest of the game.