The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 04, 2015, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

I think those are fair comments for a former coach.

Teams often practice less towards the end of the season so that the players will be fresh for the games. It makes sense that officials could benefit by getting extra rest towards the end of the season.
Old Wed Mar 04, 2015, 07:14pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
One of the bigger tests in contractor/employee relationships is the individuals ability to accept work from others.

I think it would be possible to institute a cap, but it would have to be done carefully. I think both of your ideas have potential.
The contract is with Conference A. How can that contract say that an official can't work for Conference B the night before or after?

I assign 20 boys HS teams and 18 girls HS teams -- while I can use whoever I want, how can I even begin to KNOW where someone else is working the other nights of a week?
Old Wed Mar 04, 2015, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The contract is with Conference A. How can that contract say that an official can't work for Conference B the night before or after?

I assign 20 boys HS teams and 18 girls HS teams -- while I can use whoever I want, how can I even begin to KNOW where someone else is working the other nights of a week?
It's easy, you put it in your contract that if they work for you, then they can't work for any other conference.

Of course, you're going to have to then start withholding taxes, setting up a worker's comp plan, etc. Because you've just made them employees.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 03:18am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrounge View Post
It's easy, you put it in your contract that if they work for you, then they can't work for any other conference.

Of course, you're going to have to then start withholding taxes, setting up a worker's comp plan, etc. Because you've just made them employees.
Quite a few officials would get rid of that conference, then.

Conferences already have the choice of not hiring the guy working 90+ games a season. Then they hire them anyway.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 03:40am
We don't rent pigs

Isn't it all about performance? If a guy has a noticeable drop in production at the end of the season for this reason (or any other reason for that matter) won't this problem take care of itself?

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 03:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Very easy. The people writing the contracts can have just about any stipulation they want. They can't say the official can't ever work for the other conference without getting into the employer/employee area. But, they could easily say that the contract for Game X begins 36 hours before the game time and can specify what the official is expected to do or not do during the contracted time. They already do that to some degree by requiring arrival at the site a couple hours before the game and arrival in the city by a certain time. There really is no reason additional commitment times couldn't be added.

If not all conferences to it, they might have to offer more pay for the extended contract requirements but most of the big conferences could easily afford that if they really wanted to ensure the officials were not working every day, day after day. Even if they don't pay more and all the big games have the same terms, being able to work only 3-4 $1000-2000+ games a week really isn't a hardship at that level.

Quote:
Maybe not at the high school level, but, at the D1 level, knowing where others is pretty easy (if someone needed/wanted to know) when pretty much every game is televised somewhere and their are databases out there that track which officials worked where.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Thu Mar 05, 2015 at 03:46am.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 07:21am
Esteemed Forum Member

Crystal Ball ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
... Maybe not at the high school level, but, at the D1 level, knowing where others is pretty easy (if someone needed/wanted to know)
Slightly off topic, but my Catholic middle school assigner can "see" our high school games on Arbiter to avoid scheduling conflicts. We allow him to do this by "telling" Arbiter to show him our high school schedule. It doesn't work the other way around, our high school assigner can't see our Catholic middle school assignments. My Catholic middle school assigner has a policy that high school assignments take priority over his middle school assignments.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Mar 05, 2015 at 07:27am.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 08:32am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Slightly off topic, but my Catholic middle school assigner can "see" our high school games on Arbiter to avoid scheduling conflicts. We allow him to do this by "telling" Arbiter to show him our high school schedule. It doesn't work the other way around, our high school assigner can't see our Catholic middle school assignments. My Catholic middle school assigner has a policy that high school assignments take priority over his middle school assignments.
You control that. There is a sharing option under your profile.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 09:43am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
That is the key word. The terms of any contract can just as easily impose such restrictions as not. The terms of the job can include so many days of rest if they wished.
One of the low level college (D2, I think) conferences around here has restricted their football officials from working high school football. We lost a few of our high school guys when that happened.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 09:44am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Quite a few officials would get rid of that conference, then.

Conferences already have the choice of not hiring the guy working 90+ games a season. Then they hire them anyway.
And this is what it comes down to.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 10:07am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
One of the low level college (D2, I think) conferences around here has restricted their football officials from working high school football. We lost a few of our high school guys when that happened.
Yes, I remember reading about that. Rocky Mountain Conference, or something like that.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 10:31am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Yes, I remember reading about that. Rocky Mountain Conference, or something like that.
Yep, RMAC.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 10:33am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I think the real problem would be one of collusion. If the conferences somehow got together and decided to individually institute some sort of restrictions on outside activity against their contractors, I'm not sure that would be legal. Is there an anti-trust exemption for college sports?
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 10:48am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I think the real problem would be one of collusion. If the conferences somehow got together and decided to individually institute some sort of restrictions on outside activity against their contractors, I'm not sure that would be legal. Is there an anti-trust exemption for college sports?
No, I think any kind of exemption went out the door back in the 80's when college football started making its way to multiple broadcasters.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2015, 11:42am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
No, I think any kind of exemption went out the door back in the 80's when college football started making its way to multiple broadcasters.
I was thinking there was no exemption, which means the conferences could get into trouble for colluding. They could easily find any contractual restrictions unenforceable.

Not that they couldn't decide not to hire the guys next year if they violate the contracts this year. But the guys who are getting 90 games a year are getting them for a reason.

One potential avenue would be for the NCAA to simply state anyone who works more than 75 (pick a number, really) NCAA games in a season is ineligible for post-season work. The guys who want to work in the tournament would suddenly police this themselves.