The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 11:19pm
In Time Out

NBA blarge (Video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvUexkeSv0A

Jefferson with a huge slam, ref underneath calls a block but ref up top called a charge. That is a block or a no-call. I like the reactions of the bench at 10-11 seconds and the fan in the back.

Last edited by APG; Sun Feb 22, 2015 at 11:25pm. Reason: embed your clips
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

First, this is a play that the officials could get together and discuss...and come to a single conclusion because the player involves the RA...not that it matters because this isn't an RA play...the defender alights, therefore the RA isn't in play. So if the lead was calling something solely due to the RA, the slot official could come to him.

Even so, I don't think the slot is calling a charge on the offensive player but a clear out with the left hand. As such...this is NOT a blarge...but an offensive foul versus a block...of which they could come together and decide what to do.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
First, this is a play that the officials could get together and discuss...and come to a single conclusion because the player involves the RA...not that it matters because this isn't an RA play...the defender alights, therefore the RA isn't in play.

Even so, I don't think the slot is calling a charge on the offensive player but a clear out with the left hand. As such...this is NOT a blarge...but an offensive foul versus a block...of which they could come together and decide what to do.
And, it appears that the Lead didn't finish the block call, but gave up the entire call to the Slot.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2015, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Agree, that is what he was calling.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2015, 12:50am
This Space Available

Quote:
First, this is a play that the officials could get together and discuss...and come to a single conclusion because the player involves the RA...not that it matters because this isn't an RA play...the defender alights, therefore the RA isn't in play.
Newbie here. What's an "RA"?
Old Mon Feb 23, 2015, 12:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie Lib View Post
Newbie here. What's an "RA"?
The restricted area...area inside the 4 foot (NBA...3 foot in NCAA) semi circle underneath the basket.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Mon Feb 23, 2015, 01:18am
In Time Out

incorrect call whatever it is. I don't think I've seen the NBA refs come together on a call like that but I would have liked to seen the other ref come in and say, "I got a block before your clear out with the arm"
Old Mon Feb 23, 2015, 01:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
incorrect call whatever it is. I don't think I've seen the NBA refs come together on a call like that but I would have liked to seen the other ref come in and say, "I got a block before your clear out with the arm"
What did the defender do wrong? If you want to advocate a no-call, I could live with that...but the defender does nothing illegal in the play above.

Even so, this is not a blarge.

Old Mon Feb 23, 2015, 01:41am
AremRed

Quote:
What did the defender do wrong?
He was in the way of a highlight dunk.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2015, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
He was in the way of a highlight dunk.
I always forget that part of the rule book.

Old Tue Feb 24, 2015, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
Do you ever get tired of consistently being wrong on here?
Old Wed Feb 25, 2015, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

This call is wrong on several levels:
1) it's NOT an offensive foul.
2) the wrong official makes the call.
3) the slot official uses poor mechanics.

This is DEFINITELY a play that will/did make the video bulletins of the entire NBA staff of how NOT to handle this situation.....
Old Wed Feb 25, 2015, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
This call is wrong on several levels:
1) it's NOT an offensive foul.
2) the wrong official makes the call.
3) the slot official uses poor mechanics.

This is DEFINITELY a play that will/did make the video bulletins of the entire NBA staff of how NOT to handle this situation.....
Disagree...he clearly cleared out the defender's arms with his off arm. That was an excellent call.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2015, 03:41pm
In Time Out

it is a horrible call.

and yes...if it was Lebron or Durant it never would have been called.
high five for the NBA

you are right twocentsworth. I would have liked the lead to step in more and make the call. They should review this one because it was confusing what the call was after the play. It should have been a no-call. No way is that offensive. Not even remotely close. I don't even think the calling ref noticed the arm.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2015, 03:53pm
Often wrong never n doubt

What about what Jefferson does with his off arm to ward off the defender? This is a great call.