The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NBA blarge (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/99369-nba-blarge-video.html)

mutantducky Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:19pm

NBA blarge (Video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvUexkeSv0A

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SvUexkeSv0A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jefferson with a huge slam, ref underneath calls a block but ref up top called a charge. That is a block or a no-call. I like the reactions of the bench at 10-11 seconds and the fan in the back. :eek:

APG Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:28pm

First, this is a play that the officials could get together and discuss...and come to a single conclusion because the player involves the RA...not that it matters because this isn't an RA play...the defender alights, therefore the RA isn't in play. So if the lead was calling something solely due to the RA, the slot official could come to him.

Even so, I don't think the slot is calling a charge on the offensive player but a clear out with the left hand. As such...this is NOT a blarge...but an offensive foul versus a block...of which they could come together and decide what to do.

Rob1968 Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 955894)
First, this is a play that the officials could get together and discuss...and come to a single conclusion because the player involves the RA...not that it matters because this isn't an RA play...the defender alights, therefore the RA isn't in play.

Even so, I don't think the slot is calling a charge on the offensive player but a clear out with the left hand. As such...this is NOT a blarge...but an offensive foul versus a block...of which they could come together and decide what to do.

And, it appears that the Lead didn't finish the block call, but gave up the entire call to the Slot.

Camron Rust Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:27am

Quote:

Agree, that is what he was calling.

Archie Lib Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:50am

Quote:

First, this is a play that the officials could get together and discuss...and come to a single conclusion because the player involves the RA...not that it matters because this isn't an RA play...the defender alights, therefore the RA isn't in play.

Newbie here. What's an "RA"?

APG Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archie Lib (Post 955900)
Newbie here. What's an "RA"?

The restricted area...area inside the 4 foot (NBA...3 foot in NCAA) semi circle underneath the basket.

mutantducky Mon Feb 23, 2015 01:18am

incorrect call whatever it is. I don't think I've seen the NBA refs come together on a call like that but I would have liked to seen the other ref come in and say, "I got a block before your clear out with the arm"

APG Mon Feb 23, 2015 01:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mutantducky (Post 955903)
incorrect call whatever it is. I don't think I've seen the NBA refs come together on a call like that but I would have liked to seen the other ref come in and say, "I got a block before your clear out with the arm"

What did the defender do wrong? If you want to advocate a no-call, I could live with that...but the defender does nothing illegal in the play above.

Even so, this is not a blarge.

AremRed Mon Feb 23, 2015 01:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 955904)
What did the defender do wrong?

He was in the way of a highlight dunk.

APG Mon Feb 23, 2015 08:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 955905)
He was in the way of a highlight dunk.

I always forget that part of the rule book. ;)

zm1283 Tue Feb 24, 2015 02:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mutantducky (Post 955903)

Do you ever get tired of consistently being wrong on here?

twocentsworth Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:30am

This call is wrong on several levels:
1) it's NOT an offensive foul.
2) the wrong official makes the call.
3) the slot official uses poor mechanics.

This is DEFINITELY a play that will/did make the video bulletins of the entire NBA staff of how NOT to handle this situation.....

Camron Rust Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by twocentsworth (Post 956156)
This call is wrong on several levels:
1) it's NOT an offensive foul.
2) the wrong official makes the call.
3) the slot official uses poor mechanics.

This is DEFINITELY a play that will/did make the video bulletins of the entire NBA staff of how NOT to handle this situation.....

Disagree...he clearly cleared out the defender's arms with his off arm. That was an excellent call.

mutantducky Wed Feb 25, 2015 03:41pm

it is a horrible call.

and yes...if it was Lebron or Durant it never would have been called. :D
high five for the NBA

you are right twocentsworth. I would have liked the lead to step in more and make the call. They should review this one because it was confusing what the call was after the play. It should have been a no-call. No way is that offensive. Not even remotely close. I don't even think the calling ref noticed the arm.

jeremy341a Wed Feb 25, 2015 03:53pm

What about what Jefferson does with his off arm to ward off the defender? This is a great call.