The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 19, 2015, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Low post officiating

I played low post through school 35 years ago. Occasionally, while positioning either defensively or offensively, some "chicken fighting" would occur. Nobody is displaced, just two players using arms, legs, and anything else to get and hold the desired spot.

Strangely, as an official, I must admit to a bit of a struggle on how to officiate the action when two big guys start going at it. Extended arm bars, two hands, etc are easy enough. I'm looking for what some of you specifically look for.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2015, 09:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Call the first foul and call it early. There is only so much you can talk, just call the foul. The days of "let them bang" is basically over. One the contact gives a clear advantage or is rough call the foul. Talk early to maybe allow them to hear you, but put air in the whistle if they do not respond positively.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 19, 2015, 09:13pm
This IS My Social Life

Perhaps Overly Simplistic, but . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Whitten View Post
...what some of you specifically look for.
Look for, as early as possible, the kind of mild yet borderline illegal stuff that you just know is going to escalate if you do nothing and commence to start talking them out of it. Early.
You're in the behavior modification business. When they don't heed your verbal prompting, try to get the first foul before a second responds and escalation ensues.
Lather, rinse, repeat. Sometimes skip the lather and rinse.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2015, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Get it early

I try to get hand checks and rough post play early if its there. I don't go reaching for it if its not, but I feel that cleaning it up in the first 5 minutes makes the rest of the game go smoother.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2015, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Key as others say is to get it early. Sometimes if you are not ready for you you might have eat it on 1 possession but then know who the players or spots are where teams are running their stuff and expect contact.

Once you are looking in the right places get the first foul. Even if its just the offense swimming to putting a forearm in/around before using footwork. The first person to start generating contact outside their cylinders and gaining a space or angle as a result needs the call. Passing on too much early in the "chicken fighting" is what lets the fighting exist. Try to get the first fouling action that gets it going.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Fri Feb 20, 2015, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Off-ball officiating must be at a premium when you're officiating in the low post. Usually when the post players are trying to establish position they will use lower body bumps, arm swim moves, and their non-extended arm to gain position and some jujitsu-type arm moves. Especially, when the ball reverses and a re-post occurs. If you're not watching what is going on off ball, then when ball goes back into the post you may notice that players are already tangled up and flailing over each other. I watch for
1) tendencies to initiate swim moves and lock up arms.
2) tendencies to reach outside of their "cylinder" space to thwart the defender
3) the "I've got my arms straight up" --but you're bumping your lower body into the shooter/rebounder--type of motion.
It may test your "whistle patience" to see how much rope you're giving the post players prior to calling a foul in order to calibrate your own self for making consistent calls in the post.