The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 05, 2015, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

Big girl takes the hit

We have one team here with a big, thick girl who knows her agility limitations. She's good about establishing legal guarding position, which apparently takes the opposition by surprise. Occasionally an opposing guard (a much smaller player) dribbles in and crashes into her torso (ok, belly) as she stands in LGP with her arms raised above her head. Due to size/weight differences, she doesn't fall backward as many players might after taking similar contact. She remains in the same position while the dribbler/shooter bounces off, usually to the floor. Interestingly, in maybe 4 or 5 similar instances with her involved, I've never seen anyone call a player control foul (or a block). Assuming she truly has established LGP, what is the correct way to officiate this action? Does the fact that she isn't displaced play a part in how it should be viewed?
Old Thu Feb 05, 2015, 06:39pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Had this happen earlier this season. Girl drove and bounced off. No call.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2015, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

If the referee doesn't think your player was disadvantaged by the contact (and it doesn't sound like she really was), I doubt you'll get the call -- and you have a 5 on 4 advantage till the little kid gets up and an opponent likely to be gun shy about driving to the basket for the rest of the game.

And be happy that at least you have referees advanced enough that they aren't assuming it must be a foul on the big kid cuz a smaller kid is on the floor . . .
Old Thu Feb 05, 2015, 08:22pm
AremRed

It sounds like the referees are generally not penalizing your big girl for just standing there. You should be thankful for that.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2015, 11:15pm
Stubborn Member

Without displacement I'm not calling a foul. And I'm certainly not calling a foul on the defender, as she established and maintained LGP.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2015, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
And be happy that at least you have referees advanced enough that they aren't assuming it must be a foul on the big kid cuz a smaller kid is on the floor . . .
I've made that mistake before. It just looks like a foul on the big kid when the smaller one bounces off of her. Saw her (the big girl) at another game the next week and told her that I had called a foul against her last week that I wish I could take back. She laughed it off, and said that happens a lot.
Old Fri Feb 06, 2015, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Whitten View Post
Assuming she truly has established LGP, what is the correct way to officiate this action? Does the fact that she isn't displaced play a part in how it should be viewed?
When this play happens, simply ask yourself:

1) "Did the defender establish LGP?"
2) "IF she has LGP, who is then responsible for the contact?"

You CANT call a foul on a defender who has LGP when an offensive player runs into a defender and fouls down. You also CANT call a foul on the offensive player if she does not displace (or gain an advantage) a defender w/ LGP.

Just referee the play based on the rules and NOT based on whether it looks "funny"/"odd". (Officials do this all the time when calling a travel that's looks "weird" even though it wasn't a travel by rule - think "Euor-step").