The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 25, 2015, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
You have as much right to authorize the teams to leave in this situation as you do to award 4 points for a half-court basket.
Haha! One of my favorite quotes from a player I didn't care much for, once when asked why Antoine Walker took so many 3's, his response was, "Because they don't have a 4-point shot..."
Old Mon Jan 26, 2015, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
"Coach, you and your team need to remain at your bench until the FTs are completed." If he doesn't comply, then we have 4 free throws to shoot while he's in the locker room, and he'll come back to a seat belt.
Actually, if we had wanted to stick it to him, we would have had 5 FTs to shoot since it was a 3 point try that the foul occurred on.

Thanks for the education on the rule here. I was pretty sure they were supposed to stay, but wasn't going to make a big deal of it as there was really no harm done in allowing them to leave, other then the couple of seconds it took them to vacate the bench before we shot the free throws.

And if my partner told a team they could leave, I'm certainly not going to stick a coach who was told it was OK to go.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2015, 09:58am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
Actually, if we had wanted to stick it to him, we would have had 5 FTs to shoot since it was a 3 point try that the foul occurred on.

Thanks for the education on the rule here. I was pretty sure they were supposed to stay, but wasn't going to make a big deal of it as there was really no harm done in allowing them to leave, other then the couple of seconds it took them to vacate the bench before we shot the free throws.

And if my partner told a team they could leave, I'm certainly not going to stick a coach who was told it was OK to go.
I agree, not a hill to die on, IMO.
Old Tue Dec 29, 2015, 12:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Straight from the NFHS Case Book:
UNAUTHORIZED LEAVING OF THE BENCH AREA/PLAYING COURT
10.5.5 SITUATION A: Airborne shooter A1 is fouled by B1 after the ball is
released on the try. Playing time for the second quarter expires while the unsuccessful
try is in flight. Since no players are required to line up for the free throws,
Team B’s head coach takes the team to the locker room to begin the intermission.
RULING: Team B’s head coach is assessed a direct technical foul for permitting
team members to leave the bench/court for an unauthorized reason. Even though
no time remains on the game clock, the quarter doesn’t end until A1’s free throws
are completed; therefore, the technical foul is part of the second quarter. A1 will
attempt the two shooting-foul free throws followed by any Team A member
attempting the two free throws for the technical foul. The Team B head coach has
lost coaching-box privileges for the remainder of the game. The third quarter will
begin with the alternating-possession procedure. (5-6-2 Exception 3)
Here's my question: Do the starters need to remain on the floor (30 second time out-like) while the free throws are being shot or can all the players sit on the bench, get a drink of water etc... provided they remain in the court area?
Old Tue Dec 29, 2015, 08:09am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
Both teams must stay until the quarter has ended which is after the freethrows. Leaving the court before hand is considered "unauthorized" and will earn the coach a direct T.
Yep, had this in my game yesterday. Team wanted to leave I told them they had to stay until free throws were shot. I received no flack in response.
Old Tue Dec 29, 2015, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refhoop View Post
Here's my question: Do the starters need to remain on the floor (30 second time out-like) while the free throws are being shot or can all the players sit on the bench, get a drink of water etc... provided they remain in the court area?
Not the starters, necessarily, but the 10 players who were on the court at the time the horn sounded should remain on the court so you're able to differentiate between players and bench personnel.

It's not halftime, after all, until the FTs and all related activity have ended.

The distinction is key as it relates to potential technical fouls and how the head coach may be impacted.

Last edited by ODog; Tue Dec 29, 2015 at 03:14pm.
Old Tue Dec 29, 2015, 09:07am
High Five Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
You have as much right to authorize the teams to leave in this situation as you do to award 4 points for a half-court basket.

A half court shot is worth 4 points? Duly noted

I wish I had a cool signature
Old Tue Dec 29, 2015, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
A half court shot is worth 4 points? Duly noted

I wish I had a cool signature
Dude, you weren't even a forum member yet when he said that.

Party foul.
Old Wed Dec 30, 2015, 01:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Dude, you weren't even a forum member yet when he said that.

Party foul.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha............

Is there a limit to how many times I'm allowed to put "ha" repeated by itself?
Old Wed Dec 30, 2015, 01:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha............

Is there a limit to how many times I'm allowed to put "ha" repeated by itself?

No.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Wed Dec 30, 2015, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeBallanfant View Post
A good reason would be that if Team A was assessed a TF before shots were completed, you would have nobody from Team B to shoot them.
Not that other reasons are needed since the case book is very clear, but letting the team leave would give one team them a longer halftime break as well.