The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 24, 2015, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Foul committed during free throws?

The rules book seems to mostly cover lane violations scenarios by either A or B but what about a foul committed during free throws such as an opponent pushing or displacing shooter or lane occupying opponent?

Im interested in a specific scenario where ball is in the air from A1 at the line and B1 shoves/displaces A2/A1. What is the correct textbook answer that I cant seem to pin down?

Ive heard both answers where shots are awarded again and Ive heard/read where ball is dead and throw in is awarded at the end line.

Thanks.

Last edited by Carlos2283; Sat Jan 24, 2015 at 08:14am.
Old Sat Jan 24, 2015, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

The foul does not cause the ball in flight to become dead. If the free throw goes in, it counts. Regardless, Team A will be getting the ball following the last free throw.
Old Sat Jan 24, 2015, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

A FT is a try. So a foul during the FT (and related activity) is treated just the same as any other foul during any other try (and related activity).

The only complication is that if there are more FTs from the "first" foul, then those are shot with no one on the line.
Old Sat Jan 24, 2015, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

If it's the second of two, or a 1&1 or third shot of three, then make or miss A gets the ball back.

If it's say the first of two, or first or second of three. And players forget that there is another one/two unless the contact rises to the level of what I would consider a T in a dead ball situation I won't call a common foul and I'll pass, and remind the players to listen to number of shots we announce.

If it's the first of a one and one and it goes in, then second shot with lane cleared and then adjudicate the foul. Could be bonus or ball OOB.

I would also add to any foul happening with more FT's coming, this is a 1 in a million chance. Usually at the JV level or higher its usually one kid on the line who has no clue.

Last edited by deecee; Sat Jan 24, 2015 at 10:11am.