The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Chaminade (MO) vs. Paul VI (VA) (HS Basketball) (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/99100-chaminade-mo-vs-paul-vi-va-hs-basketball-video.html)

Nevadaref Mon Jan 19, 2015 06:17pm

Chaminade (MO) vs. Paul VI (VA) (HS Basketball) (Video)

Same event, same channel, Chaminade v Paul VI with 16.3 left in the 3rd.

Please post the clip of this goaltending call. Looked like a legal block under NFHS rules to me.

APG Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:29am

Is this player in the act of shooting to you?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ojeKpB4K5qc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here's Nevada's play:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/TYgIgJQzRrs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nevadaref Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:33am

Not in the act of shooting. Correct wave off by the official.

zm1283 Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:40am

I have a blocked shot on the second video.

In other news, Tatum from Chaminade is a stud. #1 junior in the country.

frezer11 Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:53am

It doesn't pass The eye test as I watch it, but when I see it in slow motion, I think I see both hands on the ball when the foul is called. I think I'm shooting two.

JRutledge Tue Jan 20, 2015 01:07am

I am giving two points on the first one and shooting one FT.

On the GT play, it look like he took it to the backboard on the block. I do not have a GT on this play from the angle.

Peace

AremRed Tue Jan 20, 2015 01:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by frezer11 (Post 951211)
It doesn't pass The eye test as I watch it, but when I see it in slow motion, I think I see both hands on the ball when the foul is called. I think I'm shooting two.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 951213)
I am shooting two on the first one.

Don't you guys mean one?

JRutledge Tue Jan 20, 2015 01:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 951214)
Don't you guys mean one?

I am sorry, yes I mean given them the points and shoot only one FT. I will correct the post.

Peace

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Jan 20, 2015 01:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 951202)
Is this player in the act of shooting to you?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ojeKpB4K5qc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here's Nevada's play:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/TYgIgJQzRrs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Continuous Motion Video: Fouled in the Act of Shooting. Score the FG and award one FT.

Goaltending Video: First, I really cannot tell of the Ball was blocked before the Ball touched the Backboard, but under NFHS Rules the video shows a Defender legally touching the Ball. Because: The NFHS and NCAA Goaltending rules are slightly different. NFHS Rules allow a Player to touch the Ball after the FGA has made contact with the Backboard as long as the Ball is not "in its downward flight entirely above the basket ring level and has the possibility of entering the basket in flight." NCAA Rules state that once the Ball, during a FGA, touches the Backboard a Player cannot touch the Ball.

MTD, Sr.

Nevadaref Tue Jan 20, 2015 04:12am

Excellent answer by MTD on the GT play. That is the point I wished to make with this video clip.
Small caveat: I believe that a defender can legally touch the ball on a try even after it has contacted the backboard under NCAA rules if the ball has yet to rise completely above the level of the ring or has no chance to enter the basket.

JetMetFan Tue Jan 20, 2015 07:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 951213)
I am giving two points on the first one and shooting one FT.

On the GT play, it look like he took it to the backboard on the block. I do not have a GT on this play from the angle.

Peace

I'm with JRut and MTDS on these.

Raymond Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:51am

1) shooting foul in HS, common foul in NCAA-M, prior to upward motion

frezer11 Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 951214)
Don't you guys mean one?

I suppose just one would do the trick... ;)

BigCat Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 951229)
Small caveat: I believe that a defender can legally touch the ball on a try even after it has contacted the backboard under NCAA rules if the ball has yet to rise completely above the level of the ring or has no chance to enter the basket.

To be goaltending on a field goal try, NFHS or NCAAM, the ball has to have the possibility of entering the basket. if it has no chance to go in it won't be goaltending on a field goal try.

under ncaam, if ANY PART of the ball is above the rim when the ball hits the backboard during a FG attempt, the ball is considered to be on its downward flight. Goaltending if touched by a player after hits backboard as long as ball has possibility of going in…

1st video count basket in nfhs, not in NCAAM-- 2nd-- looks like good block...

deecee Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:14am

shooting foul in first video.

clean block in second video.

Same official made both these calls.