The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 14, 2015, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Portland area

A new young official from my area in Chicagoland has landed a job with the trailblazers after getting his masters recently. He is a passionate official, 24yrs old who played DIII ball. He's one of my favorite people who is really into it, non stop hustle and all ears for learning and moving up. If there is anyone out that way I can connect him with for games, I'd appreciate it. Man, to have young legs!

Thanks!
Old Wed Jan 14, 2015, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Send Camron Rust a PM - he's in PDX
Old Wed Jan 14, 2015, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

thanks Smitty!
Old Wed Jan 14, 2015, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Have him send me a PM. I worked a couple years in Chicago so I may know him! Currently, I work in the Northwest in multiple college conferences. I know how it goes moving to a new area and having to prove yourself all over again.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2015, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio View Post
Have him send me a PM. I worked a couple years in Chicago so I may know him! Currently, I work in the Northwest in multiple college conferences. I know how it goes moving to a new area and having to prove yourself all over again.

Tio,

Thanks, he's a young kid, who is from northern suburbs, I doubt you know him but you'd sure be a good contact for him. I don't think he knows about this site.
If you pm me your #cell I can pass it on to him.

He's just one of those kids you want to help, very impressive young man. I didn't mention, he's only in his second year but I'd have no reservations about assigning him a BV game

Last edited by fullor30; Wed Jan 14, 2015 at 02:21pm.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2015, 02:22pm
Esteemed Participant

Oregon uses 2-man mechanics in HS basketball...Washington uses 3-man mechanics. Have your friend pm me if he wants to work 3-man HS games. Vancouver, WA area is about 15 minutes away from Portland (on a good traffic day). Also, a number of our HS guys are active in various college conferences (both NCAA-M and NCAA-W) so we can hook him up with camps, assignors, etc.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2015, 03:36pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Vancouver, WA area is about 15 minutes away from Portland (on a good traffic day).
Yeah, if you take a jet ski across the Columbia.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2015, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Have him contact me....503-307-2016 (text/cell).

I can get him in touch with who he needs to know in Portland....for regular season or off-season stuff.

He could go to Vancouver if he wants but transiting across the river is a chore at best. There are a LOT more big schools in Portland. He'll have to work a few JV games to start to prove himself but, if he is capable, the assignor will get him up to the level he belongs quickly.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2015, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

This is totally off topic, but I'm honestly curious about why getting across the river to Washington is a chore. I see there are a couple of bridges. Is the traffic just awful or what? I've never been to Portland/Vancouver.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2015, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
This is totally off topic, but I'm honestly curious about why getting across the river to Washington is a chore. I see there are a couple of bridges. Is the traffic just awful or what? I've never been to Portland/Vancouver.
Yes the traffic blows - especially at rush hour, which is when you're most likely trying to get to your games.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2015, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Yes the traffic blows - especially at rush hour, which is when you're most likely trying to get to your games.
Correct. The I-5 bridge can be a nightmare during rush hour. People that use it have been trying for years to get a new bridge or an expanded bridge to be built. But those that don't use it don't see the need and fight it. Like most things, too many people follow the philosophy of "If it doesn't help me, it isn't needed."

The I-205 bridge is not one I know so much about but to get across town to it is worse than getting across the I-5 bridge. If you lived on the east side, it might be reasonable.

Road development in Oregon, in general, is just backwards.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2015, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Cause the Portland metro area's traffic projections when they were designing all the bridges and freeways back in the 40/50/60s never assumed the metro population would explode as it did. The powers that be have never adjusted to that concept. But we do have plenty of money and time to devote to bicycle paths and mass transit (separate rant for separate time)

Luckily I've lived in Portland for my whole life and being an official in Portland for the past 13 years I have learned all the shortcuts, detours, backways to get around major trouble spots on my side of the river.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2015, 05:17pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Problem Solved ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Correct. The I-5 bridge can be a nightmare during rush hour.
Take the ferry. That's what we do here, in my little corner of Connecticut (since 1655).

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jan 14, 2015 at 08:06pm.