The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Basket Interference with unintended advantage. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/98997-basket-interference-unintended-advantage.html)

Adam Wed Jan 07, 2015 07:44pm

Basket Interference with unintended advantage.

A wants to miss a free throw, B wants them to make it. We've had the discussion a few times about repeated lane violations.

What if B skips the lane violation and simply commits BI?

just another ref Wed Jan 07, 2015 07:52pm

If he's quick enough to commit BI on a free throw which was deliberately missed without violating, I say he deserves whatever benefits go with it.

justacoach Wed Jan 07, 2015 08:00pm

Wasn't there a weird sitch in an NCAAM game a few years back game with unintended consequences, like a TF?

Adam Wed Jan 07, 2015 08:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by justacoach (Post 949172)
Wasn't there a weird sitch in an NCAAM game a few years back game with unintended consequences, like a TF?

Goal tending on a free throw is a technical foul. Basket Interference is not.

Adam Wed Jan 07, 2015 08:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 949171)
If he's quick enough to commit BI on a free throw which was deliberately missed without violating, I say he deserves whatever benefits go with it.

Why "without violating?"

just another ref Wed Jan 07, 2015 09:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 949174)
Why "without violating?"

A deliberate miss is usually a hard line drive that may not even enter the cylinder, and if it does, only briefly. One would have to be quick to enter after the release and get a hand in there.

Adam Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:20pm

All he needs to do is be grabbing the net when it hits the rim.

What difference does it make if he committed a free throw violation in the process?

bainsey Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 949173)
Goal tending on a free throw is a technical foul. Basket Interference is not.

I'd likely go with the T, anyway. NFHS 10-3-6 says unsporting acts are "not limited to" the list of items, which includes goaltending a free throw. I'd submit that would include BI, as well. If nothing else, it's certainly an unsporting act, given the reason.

Raymond Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:08pm

what if the free throw shooter jumps in the air and commits a flagrant foul before the basket interference.

just another ref Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 949191)

Would you consider a line drive throw which hits the front of the rim to be "on or within" the basket?

Quote:

What difference does it make if he committed a free throw violation in the process?
*crickets* :o

Coach Bill Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 949191)

I could be wrong - but i think he meant as long as the free throw shooter didn't violate. Not, the BI guy.

just another ref Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach Bill (Post 949203)
I could be wrong - but i think he meant as long as the free throw shooter didn't violate. Not, the BI guy.

Nope, for some reason I was thinking the BI wouldn't count if there was a free throw violation first. I was thinking....... You see, it was like this...... I......

Oh, what a tangled web we weave.....

Coach Bill Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 949204)
Nope, for some reason I was thinking the BI wouldn't count if there was a free throw violation first. I was thinking....... You see, it was like this...... I......

Oh, what a tangled web we weave.....

I was hoping you would say, "Yeh, that's the ticket".:)

Camron Rust Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 949201)
what if the free throw shooter jumps in the air and commits a flagrant foul before the basket interference.

Not fair... I was eating when I read this. :eek:

Camron Rust Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 949200)
I'd likely go with the T, anyway. NFHS 10-3-6 says unsporting acts are "not limited to" the list of items, which includes goaltending a free throw. I'd submit that would include BI, as well. If nothing else, it's certainly an unsporting act, given the reason.

Not really. BI on a FT can be a natural and inadvertent result of trying to rebound the FT attempt too early. GT a FT is never a natural result of playing the FT.