The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Basket Interference with unintended advantage. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/98997-basket-interference-unintended-advantage.html)

Adam Wed Jan 07, 2015 07:44pm

Basket Interference with unintended advantage.

A wants to miss a free throw, B wants them to make it. We've had the discussion a few times about repeated lane violations.

What if B skips the lane violation and simply commits BI?

just another ref Wed Jan 07, 2015 07:52pm

If he's quick enough to commit BI on a free throw which was deliberately missed without violating, I say he deserves whatever benefits go with it.

justacoach Wed Jan 07, 2015 08:00pm

Wasn't there a weird sitch in an NCAAM game a few years back game with unintended consequences, like a TF?

Adam Wed Jan 07, 2015 08:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by justacoach (Post 949172)
Wasn't there a weird sitch in an NCAAM game a few years back game with unintended consequences, like a TF?

Goal tending on a free throw is a technical foul. Basket Interference is not.

Adam Wed Jan 07, 2015 08:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 949171)
If he's quick enough to commit BI on a free throw which was deliberately missed without violating, I say he deserves whatever benefits go with it.

Why "without violating?"

just another ref Wed Jan 07, 2015 09:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 949174)
Why "without violating?"

A deliberate miss is usually a hard line drive that may not even enter the cylinder, and if it does, only briefly. One would have to be quick to enter after the release and get a hand in there.

Adam Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:20pm

All he needs to do is be grabbing the net when it hits the rim.

What difference does it make if he committed a free throw violation in the process?

bainsey Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 949173)
Goal tending on a free throw is a technical foul. Basket Interference is not.

I'd likely go with the T, anyway. NFHS 10-3-6 says unsporting acts are "not limited to" the list of items, which includes goaltending a free throw. I'd submit that would include BI, as well. If nothing else, it's certainly an unsporting act, given the reason.

Raymond Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:08pm

what if the free throw shooter jumps in the air and commits a flagrant foul before the basket interference.

just another ref Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 949191)

Would you consider a line drive throw which hits the front of the rim to be "on or within" the basket?

Quote:

What difference does it make if he committed a free throw violation in the process?
*crickets* :o

Coach Bill Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:25pm

Quote:

I could be wrong - but i think he meant as long as the free throw shooter didn't violate. Not, the BI guy.

just another ref Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach Bill (Post 949203)
I could be wrong - but i think he meant as long as the free throw shooter didn't violate. Not, the BI guy.

Nope, for some reason I was thinking the BI wouldn't count if there was a free throw violation first. I was thinking....... You see, it was like this...... I......

Oh, what a tangled web we weave.....

Coach Bill Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 949204)
Nope, for some reason I was thinking the BI wouldn't count if there was a free throw violation first. I was thinking....... You see, it was like this...... I......

Oh, what a tangled web we weave.....

I was hoping you would say, "Yeh, that's the ticket".:)

Camron Rust Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 949201)
what if the free throw shooter jumps in the air and commits a flagrant foul before the basket interference.

Not fair... I was eating when I read this. :eek:

Camron Rust Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 949200)
I'd likely go with the T, anyway. NFHS 10-3-6 says unsporting acts are "not limited to" the list of items, which includes goaltending a free throw. I'd submit that would include BI, as well. If nothing else, it's certainly an unsporting act, given the reason.

Not really. BI on a FT can be a natural and inadvertent result of trying to rebound the FT attempt too early. GT a FT is never a natural result of playing the FT.

Camron Rust Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:12am

Quote:

But that would be a T.

10-3 ART. 3 . . . Grasp either basket at any time during the game except to prevent injury; dunk or stuff, or attempt to dunk or stuff a dead ball.

Of course, the way around that is just to touch the net/rim as the ball gets there.

I might just happen to sneeze right at that moment and miss it, however.

Adam Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 949210)
But that would be a T.

10-3 ART. 3 . . . Grasp either basket at any time during the game except to prevent injury; dunk or stuff, or attempt to dunk or stuff a dead ball.

Of course, the way around that is just to touch the net/rim as the ball gets there.

I might just happen to sneeze right at that moment and miss it, however.

Yeah, good point. I was thinking that, strategically, it makes more sense, but you really can't guarantee the refs call it if you don't make it obvious. Touching the net seems to rarely get called, and grabbing it would risk a T.

AremRed Thu Jan 08, 2015 01:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 949201)

I'd retire on the spot.