Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 06, 2015, 06:28pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Short Tights Or Compression Shorts ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
True/False A player from the home team may legally wear gray tights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
What if the tights stop above the knee, are made of a compression type material, and the uniform shorts are gray?
Quote:
Tights extend below the knee. Compression shorts do not.
Quote:
Citation please.
Quote:
I've been told by my local interpreter that Peter Webb, IAABO (International)Coordinator of Interpreters, who now has a role on the NFHS Basketball Rules Committee, will be working with the committee to determine the difference between short tights, and compression shorts. With tights now legal, references to compression shorts may be making an exit from the rulebook.
Quote:
If you look at the comments on rules in the back of this year's rules book, you will see that the first mention of tights specifies that they extend below the knee and after that every use of the word tights carries this meaning as they are required to meet the same restrictions as leg sleeves.
Here's what it actually states: "Tights that extend below the knee are now legal."

The statement doesn't define tights, it just specifies that something that was once illegal, is now legal.

Put on a pair of tights that extend from your waist to your ankles. If they're black, white, beige, or the predominate color of the uniform jersey, than they're legal. Now start cutting them (no frayed edges, in fact, might as well put a hem on them to make then completely legal) back. First they're mid calf length. Shorter? Now they're knee length. Shorter? Now they're above the knee length. Everything is still legal. When did they change from tights to compression shorts and therefore have to be the same color as the uniform shorts? If you answer, "above the knee", then I would like a citation for that, and an explanation of how one item of clothing can miraculously change into a completely different item of clothing.

And what if they're not all then way up to the waist? What if they're sleeves that extend from below the crotch (above the bottom of the uniform shorts) to just above the knee? Are these compression shorts that have to be the same color as the uniform shorts, or are these sleeves that can be black, white, beige, or the predominate color of the uniform jersey?

Note that I'm not completely satisfied with my explanation (above), but neither am I satisfied with your definition based on the statement in the "Comments On The Rules Changes". In my opinion, the NFHS "screwed the pooch" with some new, ambiguous, rules regarding tights, and compression shorts, rules that need some clarification next year.

For now, regarding compression type shorts, my local interpreter has told us to accept black, white, beige, or predominate color of the uniform jersey, and call them tights; and to also accept color of the uniform shorts, and call them compression shorts; so that A1 would be allowed to play with black above the knee tights, or sleeves, under red uniform shorts; and teammate A2 would be allowed to play with red compression shorts under red uniform shorts. According to him, the rules are too ambiguous to ask either of these players to change their equipment.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jan 06, 2015 at 07:35pm.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2015, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

When do tights become shorts? When they are cut down so that they are short! That can easily be defined by the length being above the knee.

Your interpreter's decision to permit teammates to wear different colored items on their legs is nonsensical and goes against the basic principle that the NFHS has been pushing for the past few years--items worn by teammates need to match in color.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2015, 08:28pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Ambiguous ???

Quote:
... the basic principle that the NFHS has been pushing for the past few years--items worn by teammates need to match in color.
Then how do you explain this: What if they're not all then way up to the waist? What if they're sleeves that extend from below the crotch (above the bottom of the uniform shorts) to just above the knee? Are these compression shorts that have to be the same color as the uniform shorts, or are these sleeves that can be black, white, beige, or the predominate color of the uniform jersey? Thus, two teammates can have very different, but legal looks.

So, whether they're cinched at the waist, or not, makes a big difference? Even if you can't see whether, or not, they are cinched.

Let's face it, the NFHS really didn't do a great job thinking through these Fashion Police changes, with, what I believe to be, a few unintended consequences. That's all I'm trying to say. It's not as clear as black, or white (or beige).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Tue Jan 06, 2015, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

An official needs to be able to tell the difference between a sleeve and shorts. It's that simple.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2015, 02:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
An official needs to be able to tell the difference between a sleeve and shorts. It's that simple.
So, you're having the player drop his shorts to see if they are just tall sleeves or shorts/tights?
Old Wed Jan 07, 2015, 02:35am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Call me a coward, but I'm not looking under the kilts.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2015, 07:24am
Esteemed Forum Member

Commando ...

Quote:
Exactly my point. Thanks. Why did the NFHS force us into wondering about, or asking awkward questions (especially to girls) about, what the player is wearing under the shorts, when a few choice words in the new rule would have simplified the fashion rule, which I believe was one intention (fewer legal colors) of the change?

Old Wed Jan 07, 2015, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

I don't think this is that difficult. It says "Tights that extend below the knee are now legal."

So if he garment worn extends below the knee, then it would be tights and subject to the restrictions for arm sleeves, knee sleeves, lower leg sleeves and tights (black, white, beige or the predominant color of the uniform and same for teamates)

If the garment worn doesn't extend below the knee, then it is not legal as tights (call it whatever you want). But the garment worn could be legal as compression shorts if it is the predominant color of the uniform and does not extend below the pants.
Old Thu Jan 08, 2015, 07:16am
Esteemed Forum Member

Thigh Sleeve ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
If the garment worn doesn't extend below the knee, then it is not legal as tights (call it whatever you want). But the garment worn could be legal as compression shorts if it is the predominant color of the uniform and does not extend below the pants.
The statement, "Tights that extend below the knee are now legal", doesn't define tights, it just specifies that something that was once illegal, is now legal.

So a thigh sleeve (not shorts) isn't a sleeve? I thought that anything worn on the leg (except a brace with hinges, straps) is a sleeve?

All I'm saying is that the new fashion rules need some work.

Old Thu Jan 08, 2015, 08:54am
Administrator

Quote:
The statement, "Tights that extend below the knee are now legal", doesn't define tights, it just specifies that something that was once illegal, is now legal.

So a thigh sleeve (not shorts) isn't a sleeve? I thought that anything worn on the leg (except a brace with hinges, straps) is a sleeve?

All I'm saying is that the new fashion rules need some work.

After reading this thread, the first thing I want to do after breakfast is to go on NetFlix and watch Mel Brook's Men in Tights, .

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Jan 08, 2015, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Did this really morph into it's own thread?
Old Thu Jan 08, 2015, 05:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

And He Said Please ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Did this really morph into it's own thread?
Because just another ref asked politely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Take it to another thread please, Billy.

Old Thu Jan 08, 2015, 08:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

It really does not matter what you call them. If you are wearing something from the waist that is under you shorts/skit that extends below the knee, then they cannot be worn or cannot be shown.

If it is something they can take off without removing their shorts or pants, then they can wear them, but they must follow the color restrictions.

BTW, this was clarified by our head person the other day as I was having a similar disagreement with a fellow official.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 09, 2015, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
It really does not matter what you call them. If you are wearing something from the waist that is under you shorts/skit that extends below the knee, then they cannot be worn or cannot be shown.

If it is something they can take off without removing their shorts or pants, then they can wear them, but they must follow the color restrictions.

BTW, this was clarified by our head person the other day as I was having a similar disagreement with a fellow official.

Peace
Who is going to ask the player to prove they can be removed with removing their shorts
Old Fri Jan 09, 2015, 01:29pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Who is going to ask the player to prove they can be removed with removing their shorts
First of all you can look at the items and tell what they are or what they are not. Secondly you can ask a kid what they are. Often times they do not know the rule so they tell you what they are.

Finally I do not work girls basketball, so asking a player about an illegal item or having them remove them does not bother me. And I never ask any player to "prove it to me" what they have on. They tell you what they have on and describe the item to you or show you on their own.

Peace