Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 06, 2015, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
To be more specific, in this case, F=mg, where "g" is approximately 9.8ms^2, the gravitational acceleration of an object in a vacuum near the surface of the earth. But of course it's not a vacuum because there is friction from the air on the way down. Not that the poor girl will give said friction much credit when the rim hits her on the head.

I once majored in physics before I took up basketball officiating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
And I doubt the friction would amount to anything interesting from the velocity the rim might achieve from a height of 10'. From a 100 feet, maybe, but still not too much.
Excellent work here gentlemen. But as a physics teacher, I feel I must bring the idea of energy transfer to the table. Assuming we can ignore the work done by non-conservative forces here (I.e. friction) then the amount of gravitational potential energy the rim transfers to the floor is given by mgh, using a mass in kilograms and a height in meters, of course.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2015, 12:49am
Esteemed Forum Member

Get A Room ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
Assuming we can ignore the work done by non-conservative forces here (I.e. friction) then the amount of gravitational potential energy the rim transfers to the floor is given by mgh, using a mass in kilograms and a height in meters, of course.
You, and Mark T. DeNucci, Sr., deserve each other.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Jan 06, 2015, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

I think she should have received a flagrant T for intentional destruction of court equipment. Then I would have assessed delay of game Technical fouls for the 45 minute delay. The Head Coach would have been assessed a T for providing faulty equipment. The AD would have been tossed if the school could not have provided at least donuts for the delay...😄
Old Tue Jan 06, 2015, 01:13am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
You, and Mark T. DeNucci, Sr., deserve each other.

I believe in the Metric System. (but not for basketball, baseball & softball, and golf).

MTD, Sr.

P.S. Billy, you are a chemist and took Calculus, what is your answer: Newton or Leibniz?
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Jan 06, 2015, 01:39am
Esteemed Forum Member

Rock Around The Clock (Bill Haley & His Comets, 1955) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Billy, you are a chemist and took Calculus, what is your answer: Newton or Leibniz?
It was like hitting a brick wall. I did great in all forms of mathematics until I hit calculus. Algebra. Geometry. Trigonometry. Statistics. Probability. All easy peasey lemon squeezy. Mr. Trachenburg took pity on me and passed me in calculus, even though it was mathematically impossible with the grades that I earned.

All I know, for sure, is that Isaac Newton invented calculus because the mathematics of the time wasn't powerful enough for him to help his good friend, Edmund Halley, determine the correct parameters regarding the elliptical orbits of comets.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jan 06, 2015 at 01:57am.