The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 05, 2015, 07:13am
Administrator

Missed FT Attempt. How would you handle it?

I saw this while reading the news online this morning:

High School Basketball Player Breaks Rim with Free Throw

ROFLMTO!!

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Jan 05, 2015, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

In my opinion it was not clear that the FT was going to be unsuccessful at the time the basket broke. Therefore, the game was interrupted during a FT, so that is the POI. I'm having her attempt the FT again after the necessary repairs are made.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2015, 08:14am
Administrator

This is most definitely a missed FT attempt. If there were more FT Attempts to follow then shoot them after the rim has been replaced. If this was the first FT of a 1+1, a single FT or the last of a Bonus, or two-shot or three-shot FT sequence I would put the ball back into play with a Jump Ball at the Free Throw Circle, opps, I just woke up from my pre-breakfast nap, I mean I would put the ball back into play with an AP Throw-in.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Jan 05, 2015, 08:47am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
In my opinion it was not clear that the FT was going to be unsuccessful at the time the basket broke. Therefore, the game was interrupted during a FT, so that is the POI. I'm having her attempt the FT again after the necessary repairs are made.
As it was not clear that the shot was missed at the time of the rim breaking, I agree that the POI is DURING THE FREE THROW and that upon resumption of play we go back to the free throw.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2015, 08:52am
Administrator

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
As it was not clear that the shot was missed at the time of the rim breaking, I agree that the POI is DURING THE FREE THROW and that upon resumption of play we go back to the free throw.

BNR:

I went back and re-read Nevada's post and I think he makes a very valid observation. And though I think that my OP is a valid solution to the situation, I am inclined to agree with both of you.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Jan 05, 2015, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Though Nevada and I don't agree on much (), I am with him on this one. Looks like the ball might have had a chance to rattle in had the rim still been there after it glanced off the backboard.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2015, 09:56am
Back from the DL

I say, chose six players and go with 3-on-3 at the other end.

No? Fine. I likely would have gone to the arrow (POI) after the repair, but after reading Nevada's point, I like his idea better. How many times have we seen a successful free throw bounce from the front of the ring?
Old Mon Jan 05, 2015, 11:52am
TODO: creative title here

I think this definitely falls under the "points not covered in the rules" section... I'm going POI during the free throw, and awarding a replacement FT once the rim gets fixed.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2015, 04:28pm
Esteemed Forum Member

That's Using Your Head ...

It's a good thing that none of the rebounders got hit on the head with the rim. The rim, falling from a height of ten feet, would have had a lot of force at impact. Remember your high school physics? Isaac Newton's Second Law Of Motion? F=ma.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jan 05, 2015 at 05:33pm.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2015, 07:33pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
It's a good thing that none of the rebounders got hit on the head with the rim. The rim, falling from a height of ten feet, would have had a lot of force at impact. Remember your high school physics? Isaac Newton's Second Law Of Motion? F=ma.

I sure do remember, Sir Issac consulted with me when he was working on the problem.

But, when it comes to Calculus, the question you must answer is: Newton or Leibniz?

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Jan 05, 2015, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
I think this definitely falls under the "points not covered in the rules" section... I'm going POI during the free throw, and awarding a replacement FT once the rim gets fixed.
I specifically stayed away from 2-3 because I believe that this situation can be covered using the existing rules.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2015, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
To be more specific, in this case, F=mg, where "g" is approximately 9.8ms^2, the gravitational acceleration of an object in a vacuum near the surface of the earth. But of course it's not a vacuum because there is friction from the air on the way down. Not that the poor girl will give said friction much credit when the rim hits her on the head.

I once majored in physics before I took up basketball officiating.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2015, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
To be more specific, in this case, F=mg, where "g" is approximately 9.8ms^2, the gravitational acceleration of an object in a vacuum near the surface of the earth. But of course it's not a vacuum because there is friction from the air on the way down. Not that the poor girl will give said friction much credit when the rim hits her on the head.

And I doubt the friction would amount to anything interesting from the velocity the rim might achieve from a height of 10'. From a 100 feet, maybe, but still not too much.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2015, 10:10pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
And I doubt the friction would amount to anything interesting from the velocity the rim might achieve from a height of 10'. From a 100 feet, maybe, but still not too much.
I'm proud I even understand what you 2 are talking about. 2 years ago I would not have b/c I forgot almost all my science from high school (I graduated in 1982). But in August 2013 I started at attending college on the GI Bill have re-learned all the basics.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2015, 10:16pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I used this formula to figure it out