The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 29, 2014, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

Ball Over Backboard

Situation: Closing seconds of 1st quarter, I'm the T in a 2-person crew and have last-second shot primary. Diagonal from me in front of the lead, I see a shot (released in time) arch high and somewhat miraculously it falls. Time expired while the ball was in flight. I was stoked by the play and looked at the table and signaled "count it!"

Then I thought, "hmmmm, let me go to my partner, who didn't have a whistle, and ask him if he thought the shot went over the [rectangular]backboard." I figured he'd say he wasn't sure or that it was marginal, but instead he says, "yes, it definitely went over the backboard." So we erased the basket.

Had it not been the end of the quarter, I probably would have passed on this as the T because I didn't have a good angle to be sure the ball went over. In this situation, do you think the L has a valid secondary whistle if he is 100% sure and the T doesn't take it?

Anyway, in our case, the expiration of time coincided with any violation that would have been whistled. So....do you think we handled it correctly by wiping the basket? I'm curious what folks' opinions are. Thanks.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2014, 10:03pm
Back from the DL

I believe you handled it correctly, but if I were the L, and I saw the violation, I would have whistled it immediately. It's the T's responsibility to make sure the shot is released on time, but that doesn't prevent the L from ruling violation that he sees.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2014, 11:28pm
Esteemed Forum Member

H.o.r.s.e. ...

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Dec 29, 2014, 11:38pm
In Time Out

looked like the ref was waving off no 2
I kind of wish there would be a rule change. If you can do that type of shot then I'm all for counting it
Old Tue Dec 30, 2014, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
looked like the ref was waving off no 2
I kind of wish there would be a rule change. If you can do that type of shot then I'm all for counting it
IIRC the purpose of the rule when implemented was to preven the lob pass over the backboard on an inbound for a dunk. (I want to say it was a Wilt rule, but I'mnot sure if he was the one it was aimed at.)
Old Tue Dec 30, 2014, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

I would have guessed George Mikan.

I would like to see the rule changed so it's only a violation Back-to-Front, not Front-to-Back.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2014, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I would have guessed George Mikan.

I would like to see the rule changed so it's only a violation Back-to-Front, not Front-to-Back.
I could go with that. There really isn't a reason for front-to-back to be a violation.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2014, 01:29pm
Certified Non-Fanboy

Agreed (with bob and Camron). Although I did have a game where a guy made a shot from behind the backboard this season, along the end line. Such a great shot it killed me to have to wave it off. C'est la vie.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2014, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

There is no way I'm wiping off a shot like #1 or #5 that are just from the deep corner. Those don't pass all the way over the backboard.

For the OP, sounds like you did it right, although if it wasn't obvious I'm not sure I would have asked my partner about it.