The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 22, 2014, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Missed technical

A delay of game warning was given at the beginning of the first half on Team A.
Towards the end of the third quarter there was another delay of game on Team A. A mistake was made and the table reported that Team B was warned the first time. The 4th quarter begins and the crew realizes the mistake.
Can the technical foul be administered?
Is this a bookkeeping error or a crew screw up?
Old Mon Dec 22, 2014, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know what you mean by "the table reported that B team was warned the first time". Reported to who? If the officials warned Team A early in the game, wouldn't they remember that and know that Team A's DoG warning in the 3rd quarter was their second? If I knew that I told the table to record a warning for Team A and then they get another one, I'm giving the technical no matter what the table "reported".
Old Mon Dec 22, 2014, 03:20pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I don't know what you mean by "the table reported that B team was warned the first time". Reported to who? If the officials warned Team A early in the game, wouldn't they remember that and know that Team A's DoG warning in the 3rd quarter was their second? If I knew that I told the table to record a warning for Team A and then they get another one, I'm giving the technical no matter what the table "reported".
That was the first thought that came to my mind.
Old Mon Dec 22, 2014, 03:48pm
Stubborn Member

I don't believe that a DOG warning has to have been recorded in the book before giving a team a tech for a second DOG offense.

If the official book fails to record a time out for Team A, and officials know it, does Team A get a 6th timeout?
Old Mon Dec 22, 2014, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc3 View Post
Is this a bookkeeping error or a crew screw up?
All of the above.

It needs to be penalized when it occurs, so I think it's too late. Note that this is different from an excess TO which is penalized when it's discovered (see the interps, I think, for some case play on this)
Old Mon Dec 22, 2014, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

How are 10-1-5 and 2-10 reconciled in this case?
Old Mon Dec 22, 2014, 04:12pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
How are 10-1-5 and 2-10 reconciled in this case?
2-10 doesn't apply, this situation is not listed. 2-10 would only apply if they had called the T but failed to administer the free throws (or had them shot at the wrong basket).
Old Mon Dec 22, 2014, 08:46pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Whenever I gave a DOG warning, I would put up this sign on the scorer's table.

Old Tue Dec 23, 2014, 05:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
All of the above.

It needs to be penalized when it occurs, so I think it's too late. Note that this is different from an excess TO which is penalized when it's discovered (see the interps, I think, for some case play on this)
Bob, is correct. The tech for a 2nd delay warning needs to be penalized when it occurs. The excessive TO gets penalized when it is discovered.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2014, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
I don't believe that a DOG warning has to have been recorded in the book before giving a team a tech for a second DOG offense.
It is not a required entry in the book but during pre-game I ask the table to make a note in the margins of the time and type of warning if they can (especiallyfor behavior/bench warnings). However, I do this only for documentation in case I need to do a game report so I'll have better details about when/why warnings were issued if thy are pertinent to what happened later. I don't go out of my way to make sure they write them all down.

I have never had to depend on the book to tell me its a second warning - its not that hard to remember.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2014, 07:33pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
It is not a required entry in the book but during pre-game I ask the table to make a note in the margins of the time and type of warning if they can (especiallyfor behavior/bench warnings). However, I do this only for documentation in case I need to do a game report so I'll have better details about when/why warnings were issued if thy are pertinent to what happened later. I don't go out of my way to make sure they write them all down.

I have never had to depend on the book to tell me its a second warning - its not that hard to remember.
Got me thinking, I don't think I've ever had to go the T on this. Maybe once, but I don't recall ever having to do it.
Old Wed Dec 24, 2014, 01:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post

If the official book fails to record a time out for Team A, and officials know it, does Team A get a 6th timeout?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post

Have you read 2-11-8 lately?

The scorer shall: Record the number of warnings in the official scorebook, as in Rule 4-47.

And 4-47-1:

A warning to a team for delay is an administrative procedure by an official which is recorded in the scorebook by the scorer and reported to the coach:

For throw-in plane violations, as in 9-2-10, 10-1-5c.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Wed Dec 24, 2014 at 01:15am.
Old Wed Dec 24, 2014, 06:21am
C'mon man!!

While we are on the subject... How strict are you guys on DOG warnings on a throw in? My personal line is if they step over the line, they get a warning. I still haven't decided what I will call when players reach across the plane. It seems like lately a lot of defensive players are breaking the plane, and it sure feels like a game interupter when I call it. Doesn't seem like anyohne in these parts ever calls it. Opinions on both HS and NCAA women's would be appreciated.
Old Wed Dec 24, 2014, 06:23am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Have you read 2-11-8 lately?

The scorer shall: Record the number of warnings in the official scorebook, as in Rule 4-47.

And 4-47-1:

A warning to a team for delay is an administrative procedure by an official which is recorded in the scorebook by the scorer and reported to the coach:

For throw-in plane violations, as in 9-2-10, 10-1-5c.
The question is not should a warning be put in the book, the question is can a tech be given out for a second offense if the scorer fails to record it (when asked to be an official).
Old Wed Dec 24, 2014, 12:31pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
While we are on the subject... How strict are you guys on DOG warnings on a throw in? My personal line is if they step over the line, they get a warning. I still haven't decided what I will call when players reach across the plane. It seems like lately a lot of defensive players are breaking the plane, and it sure feels like a game interupter when I call it. Doesn't seem like anyohne in these parts ever calls it. Opinions on both HS and NCAA women's would be appreciated.
HS, if his finger breaks the plane, I'm not going to notice.
If he gets elbow deep, I'll call it.

It is a game interrupter (every call is), but it beats letting the defense gain an advantage by crowding the thrower.