The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 18, 2014, 11:22am
Courageous When Prudent

Question Player losing shoe

A1 loses shoe while his team is on offense. Teammate shoots and other team grabs rebound. A1, realizing play is not going to be stopped, throws his shoe to his bench. Opposing team scores.

At this point, do we stop play to allow A1 get his shoe from bench, or do we force Team A to take a time-out if they want play stopped.

Looking for HS and NCAA rule/case play/manual citations and also local Roman practices.
Old Thu Dec 18, 2014, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

I don't think there's anything in the rules on this.

No reason to stop play.

Team A can just hold the ball while A1 puts his / her shoe on.
Old Thu Dec 18, 2014, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

I was watching a DIII game last Saturday in which a player lost his shoe. One of the officials stopped play to allow him to retrieve his shoe and put it back on. The whistle was blown after a made basket... seems to make sense to me but not sure that this is supported by rule.
Old Thu Dec 18, 2014, 01:22pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAREF View Post
I was watching a DIII game last Saturday in which a player lost his shoe. One of the officials stopped play to allow him to retrieve his shoe and put it back on. The whistle was blown after a made basket... seems to make sense to me but not sure that this is supported by rule.

The official was wrong. This is treated no differently that a player's shoe becoming untied. The rule with regard to stopping the game or keeping a Dead Ball from becoming a Live Ball for a player whose shoe had become untied was changed for the 1963-64 season and it applies to NFHS, NCAA Men's, and NCAA Women's (even though an argument could be made that this rule change does not apply with regard to NCAA Women's Rules, but that is a debate for another time).

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Dec 18, 2014, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

After a score by team B or when team A gains front court statis again(even on a fast break). Somewhat of a penality for A,but gosh coach,teach em how to tie there shoes. There are safety issues also. 1 Player slipping and sliding w/o shoe and 2 an object on floor. When would you stop a game if a little kid threw a shoe on the court? At your first opportunity for safety,right?
Old Thu Dec 18, 2014, 02:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Ref View Post
After a score by team B or when team A gains front court statis again(even on a fast break). Somewhat of a penality for A,but gosh coach,teach em how to tie there shoes. There are safety issues also. 1 Player slipping and sliding w/o shoe and 2 an object on floor. When would you stop a game if a little kid threw a shoe on the court? At your first opportunity for safety,right?
I'm likely to try to remove the shoe in the course of play.

I'm not likely to stop a game for a player losing his shoe. Learn to tie them and wear them properly. I wouldn't mind seeing a rule that says if we stop the game for this, the player has to be subbed out (similar to the football helmet rule).

I'm guessing fewer players would lose shoes or have them come untied. I'm also guessing fewer coaches would cry "safety" when asking us to stop the game for his big center who can't seem to tie his shoes properly.
Old Thu Dec 18, 2014, 02:29pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Ref View Post
When would you stop a game if a little kid threw a shoe on the court? At your first opportunity for safety,right?
Your comments are noted but Mr. BNR is looking for a rules citation he could use as a basis to justify his actions to his HS or college supervisor. Methinks you are just guessing as there is no treatment of this issue in FED or NCAA.
Old Thu Dec 18, 2014, 02:48pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
The official was wrong. This is treated no differently that a player's shoe becoming untied. The rule with regard to stopping the game or keeping a Dead Ball from becoming a Live Ball for a player whose shoe had become untied was changed for the 1963-64 season and it applies to NFHS, NCAA Men's, and NCAA Women's (even though an argument could be made that this rule change does not apply with regard to NCAA Women's Rules, but that is a debate for another time).

MTD, Sr.
Mark,

This was one question where I was definitely looking for historical context, thanks.

It was my D3 game (NCAA-M) last night. HC wasn't happy with me and he took a 30-second time-out. I discussed it with my partners at halftime, and they weren't even aware what had happened. CC (whom I have the tremendous amount of respect for) said if the shoe had still been laying on the floor after the made basket, he would be inclined to stop play for safety reasons, but since the player threw the shoe out of harm's way, he agreed with the play-on.

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Dec 18, 2014 at 02:53pm.
Old Thu Dec 18, 2014, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

FIBA doesn't specifically address this...

Out of safety to the player I'd be inclined to stop the game after the made basket and let the poor kid put his shoe back on. For the first occurence. 2nd time plus, I'm getting a sub for that player.

Sometimes common sense needs to be part of what we do on the floor.

Last edited by Ref_in_Alberta; Thu Dec 18, 2014 at 02:56pm.
Old Thu Dec 18, 2014, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref_in_Alberta View Post

Out of safety to the player I'd be inclined to stop the game after the made basket and let the poor kid put his shoe back on.

Agreed. It depends on the level.

The one or 2 games a year I work u12- sure.

Senior HS or College- never.
Old Thu Dec 18, 2014, 03:02pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref_in_Alberta View Post

Out of safety to the player I'd be inclined to stop the game after the made basket and let the poor kid put his shoe back on. For the first occurence. 2nd time plus, I'm getting a sub for that player.

It's not a safety issue. Nothing says the kid can't take a moment to put his shoe on. His team may be at a disadvantage, but that's his fault.
Old Thu Dec 18, 2014, 03:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Mark,

This was one question where I was definitely looking for historical context, thanks.

It was my D3 game (NCAA-M) last night. HC wasn't happy with me and he took a 30-second time-out. I discussed it with my partners at halftime, and they weren't even aware what had happened. CC (whom I have the tremendous amount of respect for) said if the shoe had still been laying on the floor after the made basket, he would be inclined to stop play for safety reasons, but since the player threw the shoe out of harm's way, he agreed with the play-on.
You know all you had to do was ask.

How in the hell does a D3 player not tie his shoe properly?
Old Thu Dec 18, 2014, 03:18pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
You know all you had to do was ask.

How in the hell does a D3 player not tie his shoe properly?
In his defense, it appeared someone had stepped on the back of his foot and at first he was trying to push his foot back before his teammate's shot. I have video of the game at home; I'll check it to make sure I have a correct description of the sequence of events. Thinking back, it may be a case where the shoe was never actually lying on the court. He might have had it in his hand and threw it to his bench when he realized I wasn't going to stop play, and he needed to play defense.