The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 11, 2014, 09:13am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
The case was referencing the non-piviot foot...impling the other foot was the piviot foot. In such a case, a jump stop isn't even possible. When jumping as part of a jump stop, no pivot foot has been established.

Even in the jump stop scenario, where the play jumps off of the foot, they must come down with both feet together. If they're hopping on one foot, they have not executed a legal jump stop...still traveling when that one foot comes back down.
Oh, I understand all that. Just wanted to make sure the exception to your absolute was noted.
Old Thu Dec 11, 2014, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you all for the comments, and for forgiving my incorrect statment that the ball was bounced "on" the baseline rather than "along" the base line. 😁

I think the key in this situation is: it will be very difficault for the player to keep the non-pivot foot in place when he/she is moving at full speed. If the player can keep the foot still, it is not a travel, but rather a smart and skilled play.

I only have five years of experience, so I am greatful to have found this forum. One person asked why my crew and I had so much talk on issue. Because I have so few years of experience, I probably take the rules more literal than others. Much less practice in applying the rule(s) in game time situations, or history of "that is how it has always been called.

Thank you all again. Great info and insight.
Old Thu Dec 11, 2014, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnyboy View Post
Thank you all for the comments, and for forgiving my incorrect statment that the ball was bounced "on" the baseline rather than "along" the base line. 😁
Now maybe you can go back and change it to end-line.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2014, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

So here's a question in regards to this situation: Does the non-pivot foot, the foot that is on the floor, have to remain stationary with respect to the floor? In other words, can you pivot on the non-pivot foot, provided that it does not come off the floor?
Old Fri Dec 12, 2014, 03:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnyboy View Post
I think the key in this situation is: it will be very difficult for the player to keep the non-pivot foot in place when he/she is moving at full speed. If the player can keep the foot still, it is not a travel, but rather a smart and skilled play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
So here's a question in regards to this situation: Does the non-pivot foot, the foot that is on the floor, have to remain stationary with respect to the floor? In other words, can you pivot on the non-pivot foot, provided that it does not come off the floor?
You two might want to check the definition of which foot is the pivot foot.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2014, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You two might want to check the definition of which foot is the pivot foot.
I'm regularly amazed that some officials have worked games for so long, and haven't grasped the concept that the general-world use of the word "pivot" - meaning to turn or rotate - is not the same as the basketball definition, found in 4-38: " A pivot takes place when a player who is hoolding the ball steps once or more than once, in any direction with the same foot while the other foot, called the pivot foot, is kept at its point of contact with the floor."
Old Fri Dec 12, 2014, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
I'm regularly amazed that some officials have worked games for so long, and haven't grasped the concept that the general-world use of the word "pivot" - meaning to turn or rotate - is not the same as the basketball definition, found in 4-38: " A pivot takes place when a player who is hoolding the ball steps once or more than once, in any direction with the same foot while the other foot, called the pivot foot, is kept at its point of contact with the floor."
Perhaps I shouldn't use the word "pivot" here, but my question is still unanswered, is the non-pivot foot that is in contact with the floor allowed to rotate or twist on the floor, provided it does not lose contact with the floor?
Old Fri Dec 12, 2014, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Perhaps I shouldn't use the word "pivot" here, but my question is still unanswered, is the non-pivot foot that is in contact with the floor allowed to rotate or twist on the floor, provided it does not lose contact with the floor?
So, the ballhandler, holding the ball, establishes his left foot as his pivot foot, by moving his right foot to another position on the floor. The left foot, (pivot foot) can be turned/pivoted, the right foot can be re-positioned in any manner he wishes, be that lifting it from and re-contacting the floor, twisting, turning, etc.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2014, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
yes. player can't drag it or spin it to another location. when the pivot foot is on the ground and player steps with other foot in different directions the pivot foot spins but remains in contact with floor in same location. that other foot can do the same in this situation.

Last edited by BigCat; Fri Dec 12, 2014 at 11:53am.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2014, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
So, the ballhandler, holding the ball, establishes his left foot as his pivot foot, by moving his right foot to another position on the floor. The left foot, (pivot foot) can be turned/pivoted, the right foot can be re-positioned in any manner he wishes, be that lifting it from and re-contacting the floor, twisting, turning, etc.
And, if the actual pivot foot is lifted, the non-pivot foot may be twisted, rotated, pivoted on as long as the pivot foot itself doesn't come back to the floor....maybe that is what is being asked.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2014, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And, if the actual pivot foot is lifted, the non-pivot foot may be twisted, rotated, pivoted on as long as the pivot foot itself doesn't come back to the floor....maybe that is what is being asked.
yes, that was the question
Old Fri Dec 12, 2014, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
yes. player can't drag it or spin it to another location. when the pivot foot is on the ground and player steps with other foot in different directions the pivot foot spins but remains in contact with floor in same location. that other foot can do the same in this situation.
Quote:
Yup, that is what I was asking about, and that's what I thought, but I guess I'd never really discussed that point specifically. Thank you!
Old Fri Dec 12, 2014, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yup, that is what I was asking about, and that's what I thought, but I guess I'd never really discussed that point specifically. Thank you!
If you think about it, you see it all the time -- for example, picture a hook shot and the twist of the foot . . .