The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 08, 2014, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

Do Over or Not to Do Over

I know we have discussed the "do over" on this forum before, but I am having no luck finding it using the search function.

The do over I'm talking about, in particular, is on a throw in and the clock doesn't start. You realize it once ball has been dribbled to 1/2 court. No knowledge of time to take off, where do you inbound the ball?

I believe I'm correct in that the ball is put in play at mid court, which is where it was when play was stopped. Several people suggested that you go back to baseline. I tried to look in case book and rule book. Couldn't find anything. I seem to recall a specific directive in NCAA-W a few years ago that specifically addressed this and that is why we were discussing it on the forum. Any help???

All case plays in this years book do not address (5.10.2 is closest, but there is a count and definite knowledge).

Edited to add: This would be specific to an end of game situation with less than 10 seconds remaining. This was not a play that occured, but came about in our discussion.

Last edited by Texref; Mon Dec 08, 2014 at 06:51pm.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2014, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Ball is put in play at point of interruption...closest spot to where ball was last touched by a player or where it touched the court when the whistle sounded. It does not go back to the original spot. I do not have the actual citation, but this came up in an association meeting a few years back and that was the interpretation we were given.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2014, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texref View Post
You realize it once ball has been dribbled to 1/2 court. No knowledge of time to take off, where do you inbound the ball?
You should have your backcourt count going...you could always estimate elapsed time from that.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2014, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danvrapp View Post
You should have your backcourt count going...you could always estimate elapsed time from that.
Less than 10 seconds remain so no count.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2014, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Or, one could argue, this is why you always count, regardless of what's on the clock.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2014, 08:24pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texref View Post
Less than 10 seconds remain so no count.
Because a backcourt count can be used as definitive knowledge of elapsed time, I always start one even if there's less than 10 seconds. That way, if I end up counting more time than the time left on the clock, I know something is amiss.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Mon Dec 08, 2014, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

Just for clarification to the original question...

Rule reference as to where to place the ball. This was NOT an actual scenario. The only responses so far have not answered the question.

Thank you BayStateRef for your response. I'm just looking for the rule reference.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2014, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

A better question might be, what rule allows you to go back to the original spot? You won't find one. The ball became live, was inbounded, and then the official stops play to correct a timing error. Where is the spot closest to where the ball was when you stopped play? There you go.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2014, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

I think you may be looking for 4-36-2a

Officials whistle. Correction was or wasn't made. Need to put the ball back in play. 4-36-2a is your likely choice.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2014, 10:07pm
AremRed

One of the weirdest things for non-officials: sometimes the ball is dead when the clock is running and sometimes the ball is live when the clock isn't running. Go figure.