The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Florida State/Nebraska blarge (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/98751-florida-state-nebraska-blarge-video.html)

bballref3966 Tue Dec 02, 2014 09:53am

Florida State/Nebraska blarge (Video)

3:53 second half.

I happened to stumble upon Jay Bilas's brutal, incessant commentary on his Twitter feed...

"Wow. A double foul on a block/charge. Wow. If that doesn't signal college basketball is a hot mess, nothing will. What a joke."

"Officials from the FSU-Nebraska game are not allowed to drive to the airport together. "The light is red. The light is green! Go! Stop!" (I don't get it)

"Can't wait for SportsCenter's Top Ten Plays tonight, to see how many college basketball charges made the list! Oh yeah, nobody gives a $%*@."

"Another screw-up on a charge/block call in NEB/FSU. One ref whistles without a call, the other signals block, pulls it back. Laughable."

"Terran Petteway's fifth foul was a total joke. What an embarrassment to college basketball. That was NOT an offensive foul. Outrageous." (You're right, Jay. It was a player-control foul :D)

SC Official Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:16am

Also worth a look was the player-control foul on the Nebraska player at 2:25 left in the game.

zm1283 Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bballref3966 (Post 945282)
3:53 second half.

I happened to stumble upon Jay Bilas's brutal, incessant commentary on his Twitter feed...

"Wow. A double foul on a block/charge. Wow. If that doesn't signal college basketball is a hot mess, nothing will. What a joke."

"Officials from the FSU-Nebraska game are not allowed to drive to the airport together. "The light is red. The light is green! Go! Stop!" (I don't get it)

"Can't wait for SportsCenter's Top Ten Plays tonight, to see how many college basketball charges made the list! Oh yeah, nobody gives a $%*@."

"Another screw-up on a charge/block call in NEB/FSU. One ref whistles without a call, the other signals block, pulls it back. Laughable."

"Terran Petteway's fifth foul was a total joke. What an embarrassment to college basketball. That was NOT an offensive foul. Outrageous." (You're right, Jay. It was a player-control foul :D)

Can we get a video of this one? Is it the one referenced below at 2:25?

Nevermind. Found it on ESPN's site: http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/video?gameId=400587810

You have to browse the videos on the right.

Welpe Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:24pm

There's a reason I don't follow Jay Bilas on Twitter.

AremRed Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:45pm

Some of you may be able to browse to the plays (3:53 and 2:25 second half) here: ESPN3 -- Nebraska vs. Florida State

SC Official Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:48pm

I just watched the blarge replay on WatchESPN (I don't know how to embed the clip, unfortunately).

The L and C both held up fists, and the C began to signal block but appeared to back off of it. After a delay, the T comes in and goes the other way with it. I do not believe the T should have taken it.

The correct call would have been PC in my judgment.

zm1283 Tue Dec 02, 2014 03:03pm

I used to somewhat enjoy listening to Bilas, but he has gone off the rails. He was working on some of the games from the Bahamas last week and he is an idiot. Hates all player control fouls, hates that the officials have cleaned up hand checks on ball handlers. He is constantly complaining about how bad the officials are.

SC Official Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:54am

Bilas worries about coaches' behavior eroding public confidence in officiating yet is ridiculously and incessantly critical when he goes on air. I don't get it.

APG Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:26pm

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/zFFcngpIp5o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

zm1283 Wed Dec 03, 2014 01:21pm

From what I can see, the Lead never signals anything preliminary. He just raises his fist and holds. The Center goes straight to the block signal then puts his fist up. Someone said the Trail came in and had a PC? I definitely don't see that on the video posted. If so it must have happened very late.

Since the Lead didn't give a preliminary, why not just go with the block that the Center had? (I thought this was a PC foul by the way)

SC Official Wed Dec 03, 2014 01:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 945465)
From what I can see, the Lead never signals anything preliminary. He just raises his fist and holds. The Center goes straight to the block signal then puts his fist up. Someone said the Trail came in and had a PC? I definitely don't see that on the video posted. If so it must have happened very late.

Since the Lead didn't give a preliminary, why not just go with the block that the Center had? (I thought this was a PC foul by the way)

When the camera cuts to the endline angle, you could hear a series of whistles. Although the video doesn't show it, that came from the T, Mike Roberts, according to the commentators. He went the other way with it, which is why it was a double foul. Not sure why he chose to make a call as it definitely was not his to make.

ballgame99 Wed Dec 03, 2014 01:46pm

That looks like a clear PC. As a ref with very little 3 man experience, is that the C's call since it was on the C's side of the lane?

dahoopref Wed Dec 03, 2014 01:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballgame99 (Post 945473)
That looks like a clear PC. As a ref with very little 3 man experience, is that the C's call since it was on the C's side of the lane?

My supervisor has instructed his staff that the L has the primary call on a secondary defender (which FSU #15 is). If there is a double-whistle between the L & C or L & T on a block-charge call in the paint, the outside official is supposed to "hold" and is NOT to give a preliminary signal. Prior to my games, this possible play situation is repeated over & over during the pre-game discussion.

The ball is rebounded by Neb #2 and drives down the lane on the C side of the centerline. In my conference, this is the L's primary call.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Dec 03, 2014 02:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 945450)
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/zFFcngpIp5o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1) This is the C's call all the way. In my humble opinion there was no need for two whistles (well I could have lived with the L sounding his whistle but it is still the C's call the way) let alone three whistles on this play.

2) I believe that the C should have taken one step in toward the play as it developed to get a better look, and definitely should have been stepping toward the players has he made his call.

3) CHARGE!!

MTD, Sr.

Camron Rust Wed Dec 03, 2014 02:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dahoopref (Post 945475)
My supervisor has instructed his staff that the L has the primary call on a secondary defender (which FSU #15 is). If there is a double-whistle between the L & C or L & T on a block-charge call in the paint, the outside official is supposed to "hold" and is NOT to give a preliminary signal. Prior to my games, this possible play situation is repeated over & over during the pre-game discussion.

The ball is rebounded by Neb #2 and drives down the lane on the C side of the centerline. In my conference, this is the L's primary call.

And I'd agree with your supervisor. Yet another example of a rotating defender coming form the L's primary to the C's side with the C jumping on the call and getting it wrong.