The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 01, 2014, 12:44am
AremRed

Interesting night in NBA refereeing (Video)

and

Old Mon Dec 01, 2014, 01:31am
Official Forum Member

The first clip is just a regular Joey Crawford. That is all. Not surprised.

Now the second clip is where I have a lot of comments.

Ken Mauer messed up here. In my association, my assignors and veterans stress tremendously that we should hand the ball to the player if you're in the front court or if the defense is pressing. Mauer threw the ball at Carmelo. One should never do this. The ball could catch a finger of the player and potentially break it... Or… result in this situation. So a repeated throw in was the right way to go.

Now another mistake was how Mauer sounded the whistle before the inbound. The whistle was not needed. The only time a whistle should be blown before the inbound is after a timeout, after an intermission, or after unusual delay. The time he blew the whistle before the second inbound is acceptable because of the delay.

Another thing is, Mauer threw the ball to Carmelo while he was on the inside of the throw-in. He should've handed Carmelo the ball while on the outside of him, putting Carmelo between him and the basket.

Also, Ken Mauer is seen chewing gum when he reports the T. I've wondered if chewing gum during a game is okay. I've thought about it, but I haven't ever done it. I don't know if it would help me or hurt me. Anyone have any comments about that?

These mistakes may be acceptable in the NBA, but I have been lectured many a time by veterans using NF guidelines. It makes mistakes like these a lot more noticeable. I do in fact know that they are small things, but I am just stating what I saw was wrong in this instance.

Feel free to light me up, vets
Old Mon Dec 01, 2014, 01:39am
Official Forum Member

1. With the player being out at about the 3 point line, there's nothing wrong with an official administering the free throw from inside.

2. NBA mechanics is to sound the whistle on all throw-ins on the baseline in the frontcourt and all frontcourt throw-ins on the sideline below the FT line extended.

3. NBA manual doesn't mandate how an official should give the ball to a player. I also don't buy that a player could break a finger as a legit reason to not do what Mauer does to administer.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Last edited by APG; Mon Dec 01, 2014 at 08:15am. Reason: clarify
Old Mon Dec 01, 2014, 02:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
1. With the player being out at about the 3 point line, there's nothing wrong with an official administering the free throw from inside.

2. NBA mechanics is to sound the whistle on all throw-ins on the baseline in the frontcourt and all throw-in on the sideline below the FT line extended.

3. NBA manual doesn't mandate how an official should give the ball to a player. I also don't buy that a player could catch a finger or break a finger as a legit reason to not do what Mauer does to administer.
As for the ball breaking a finger, I do not buy it either... It is just what our trainers instructed us of.

Now where do I get an NBA officials manual?!?!
Old Mon Dec 01, 2014, 02:16am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstiles99 View Post
As for the ball breaking a finger, I do not buy it either... It is just what our trainers instructed us of.

Now where do I get an NBA officials manual?!?!
You cannot compare what you do to the NBA. It is a different game and different standard.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 01, 2014, 02:18am
AremRed

Quote:
The first clip is just a regular Joey Crawford. That is all. Not surprised.
Not really. I suspect the NBA (like NCAA-W) wants most rebounding fouls to come from Slot/Center and Trail. I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong. While in his primary, he was last in line for this play. He does have a late whistle though when he realizes he's gotta jump in which doesn't help.

Quote:
Ken Mauer messed up here. In my association, my assignors and veterans stress tremendously that we should hand the ball to the player if you're in the front court or if the defense is pressing. Mauer threw the ball at Carmelo. One should never do this. The ball could catch a finger of the player and potentially break it... Or… result in this situation. So a repeated throw in was the right way to go.

Now another mistake was how Mauer sounded the whistle before the inbound. The whistle was not needed. The only time a whistle should be blown before the inbound is after a timeout, after an intermission, or after unusual delay. The time he blew the whistle before the second inbound is acceptable because of the delay.

Another thing is, Mauer threw the ball to Carmelo while he was on the inside of the throw-in. He should've handed Carmelo the ball while on the outside of him, putting Carmelo between him and the basket.

Also, Ken Mauer is seen chewing gum when he reports the T. I've wondered if chewing gum during a game is okay. I've thought about it, but I haven't ever done it. I don't know if it would help me or hurt me. Anyone have any comments about that?

These mistakes may be acceptable in the NBA, but I have been lectured many a time by veterans using NF guidelines. It makes mistakes like these a lot more noticeable. I do in fact know that they are small things, but I am just stating what I saw was wrong in this instance.

You are aware that these are not 'mistakes' in the NBA right? You keep referring to them as such, just want to make sure you know there are different expectations in NBA versus your NFHS games.

I don't see how tossing the ball to a player is gonna jam their finger. These are professional ball players. They are paid millions of US dollars to dribble, pass, catch, and shoot (basket) balls. I assume they should be fine handling a ball tossed to them.

Regarding the whistle I gotta defer to APG here. Even so, I sparingly use a whistle in my NFHS games to let everyone we are about to play. Some use a whistle, some bounce the ball, some yell "BALLGAME!"; if a quick whistle improves communicating we are ready to play, why not use it?

If the throw-in location on the endline is anywhere outside the midpoint between the nearer lane line and the three-point line, the administering official should stand inside the thrower. I believe this is a new NCAA-M mechanics change this year. If standing inside puts Lead in a better position to referee the ensuing play, why not do it?

I chew gum during games, and do not think it is unprofessional. I get dry mouth pretty easily if I can't drink water all the time which hinders my blowing the whistle and talking to partners/players/coaches. Whenever I'm nervous or under a lot of stress I chew my gum very vigorously which has been pointed out to me by a couple observers.
Old Mon Dec 01, 2014, 02:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
You cannot compare what you do to the NBA. It is a different game and different standard.

Peace
Apologies J.
Old Mon Dec 01, 2014, 02:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Not really. I suspect the NBA (like NCAA-W) wants most rebounding fouls to come from Slot/Center and Trail. I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong. While in his primary, he was last in line for this play. He does have a late whistle though when he realizes he's gotta jump in which doesn't help.

You are aware that these are not 'mistakes' in the NBA right? You keep referring to them as such, just want to make sure you know there are different expectations in NBA versus your NFHS games.

I don't see how tossing the ball to a player is gonna jam their finger. These are professional ball players. They are paid millions of US dollars to dribble, pass, catch, and shoot (basket) balls. I assume they should be fine handling a ball tossed to them.

Regarding the whistle I gotta defer to APG here. Even so, I sparingly use a whistle in my NFHS games to let everyone we are about to play. Some use a whistle, some bounce the ball, some yell "BALLGAME!"; if a quick whistle improves communicating we are ready to play, why not use it?

If the throw-in location on the endline is anywhere outside the midpoint between the nearer lane line and the three-point line, the administering official should stand inside the thrower. I believe this is a new NCAA-M mechanics change this year. If standing inside puts Lead in a better position to referee the ensuing play, why not do it?

I chew gum during games, and do not think it is unprofessional. I get dry mouth pretty easily if I can't drink water all the time which hinders my blowing the whistle and talking to partners/players/coaches. Whenever I'm nervous or under a lot of stress I chew my gum very vigorously which has been pointed out to me by a couple observers.
You are correct. I apologize for my wording, these are not mistakes.
However… Assuming APG is correct on the whistle procedure and Mauer was right to give the ball while standing on the inside.. I feel this could've been overall prevented if Mauer handed Carmelo the ball.

Now.. This is also on the part of Carmelo. I don't know how the sound of a Fox 40 even at it's loudest could hurt his ears that much. My ears are always ringing at the end of a game.. But it doesn't make me physically react. Anyone have any different views on this?

And I'm going to also try chewing gum in my next game. Sounds like a swell idea!

Are there any NBA guys that use this forum?
Old Mon Dec 01, 2014, 02:39am
Official Forum Member

You will find that different mechanics are expected or appropriate at various levels of play and locations. They vary from state to state or even association to association within a state at the NFHS level and for NCAA the conference supervisors dictate everything.
Things change again at the NBA level. Others who are better versed in the current NBA directives will be along shortly to fill you in and you may well find that what Mauer did is perfectly fine.
For example, perhaps your instruction so far applies to 2-man officiating. I can tell you that both HS and NCAA have the Lead official inside the thrower (official is closer to the basket) on most endline throw-ins in the front court in the 3-person system.
Old Mon Dec 01, 2014, 04:19am
Official Forum Member

I just hurt everyones feelings
Old Mon Dec 01, 2014, 08:11am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

How did you determine that these are mistakes per the NBA?
Old Mon Dec 01, 2014, 08:11am
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I can tell you that both HS and NCAA have the Lead official inside the thrower (official is closer to the basket) on most endline throw-ins in the front court in the 3-person system.
This is not true for NCAA-M. As was already pointed out, the L is on the outside for all throw ins that are between the lane line and the midpoint between the lane line and the three point line. Most throw ins occur in this space and therefore, most of the time the L is on the outside. The only time the L is on the inside is when the throw in occurs past this midpoint. You should take some of your own advice and not make declarative statements, especially when they are incorrect.
Old Mon Dec 01, 2014, 12:44pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I can tell you that both HS and NCAA have the Lead official inside the thrower (official is closer to the basket) on most endline throw-ins in the front court in the 3-person system.
Not true. The current NFHS manual allows the lead to choose whether to be inside or outside on all frontcourt endline throw-ins that he administers.

I do choose to go inside, however, when the ball is inbounded a good distance from the lane line -- otherwise I'm of no use if that ball is quickly thrown inside.
Old Mon Dec 01, 2014, 04:20pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Are there any NBA guys that use this forum?
I am the ghost of Earl Strom.
Old Mon Dec 01, 2014, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

My ultimate career goal in this vocation (within 5 yrs) is to become an NBA ref.
When my oldest kid graduates from h.s., I will look into this.
I know folks who have never done college reffing but who tell me that the relevant camps for NBA training don't require that one have been a college ref. But they do tell me that there is quite a bit of travelling involved--for training camps.
Hey, I could go straight from Highschool to the pros !