The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 01, 2014, 12:05pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by refinks View Post
So it sounds like the consensus is that maybe the 15 minute on the court protocol for non-varsity games is a little excessive. Which makes sense considering in my location, non-varsity and middle school usually only get 10 minutes between games.

But I still feel that a captains meeting and officials checking the book should happen at those levels. I think I would try to have the captains meeting as soon as possible after the 10 minute mark to give both coaches a chance to check the book, then the R checks the book. I know my assignor wouldn't like it if we passed on a book technical because we elected not to check the book before the game started.

junruh07, I agree with you about nobody paying attention during the captain meetings, especially the captains, which is why we are instructed to keep that part of the meeting short and sweet. Normally the coaches do a little better job at least acting like they are paying attention.
Totally area specific. Here, we do the meetings in all scholastic games. I've worked in other areas where the meetings just aren't done at the MS level because you're lucky to have both officials on site 15 minutes before the game due to scheduling and pay (you just can't ask much of the officials at 12.50 / game). Find out what the expectation is.
Old Mon Dec 01, 2014, 06:46pm
Esteemed Forum Member

When In Rome ...

We do captains meetings for all games assigned by my high school assigner (high school varsity, junior varsity, freshman, and middle school). We have never done captains meetings for any of our Catholic middle school games, assigned by our Catholic middle school assigner. I don't work them anymore, but we never did captains meetings for any youth recreation, travel, or men's recreation games. I seldom work them, but I don't do captains meetings for AAU games.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Dec 03, 2014, 05:01am
Official Forum Member

Captains meetings for all HS contests here. Required by IAABO. They also want us to invite the coaches to the meeting... I asked twice.. had refusals both times.. stopped asking.

The captain meetings are the biggest waste of time if you ask me. One thing FIBA does better than the North American rule sets- no damn captains meetings!
Old Wed Dec 03, 2014, 07:16am
Esteemed Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by constable View Post
They also want us to invite the coaches to the meeting... I asked twice.. had refusals both times.. stopped asking.
Connecticut ...

Captains-Head Coaches-Officials pre-game meeting should occur prior to start of game. If the head coach
refuses to attend the meeting, notify Board Commissioner, who will notify the school athletic
director and CIAC.

Quote:
Captains meetings for all HS contests here. Required by IAABO.
I just did a quick NFHS rulebook search and discovered that pregame captains meetings are not required by the rules. I can't find any reference to said meetings. Why did I think that this was a NFHS rule? Was there ever such a rule? Is it, or was it ever, in the NFHS mechanic manual?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Wed Dec 03, 2014, 08:37am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Connecticut ...

Captains-Head Coaches-Officials pre-game meeting should occur prior to start of game. If the head coach
refuses to attend the meeting, notify Board Commissioner, who will notify the school athletic
director and CIAC.
Or start a petition to eliminate them.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2014, 06:05pm
Esteemed Forum Member

No Captains ???

Quote:
I just did a quick NFHS rulebook search and discovered that pregame captains meetings are not required by the rules.
NFHSA 2-4-5: The referee shall: Verify with the head coach, prior to each contest, that his/her team
member’s uniforms and equipment are legal and will be worn properly, and that
all participants will exhibit proper sporting behavior throughout the contest.

Old Wed Dec 03, 2014, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

Officials Manual:
"Pre-Game Conference: Officials shall conduct a pre-game conference before each contest at center court
which the head coach of both teams (not a representative of the head coach), each team’s captains, and all the
officials much attend to discuss sportsmanship, game procedures, etc." 1.7.2 C.4
Old Wed Dec 03, 2014, 09:13am
Administrator

Quote:
I just did a quick NFHS rulebook search and discovered that pregame captains meetings are not required by the rules. I can't find any reference to said meetings. Why did I think that this was a NFHS rule? Was there ever such a rule? Is it, or was it ever, in the NFHS mechanic manual?

Billy:

You will find the requirement on Page 14 of the 2013-15 NFHS Basketball Officials Manual, Part 1, Section 1.7.1.B.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Dec 03, 2014, 09:34am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Billy:

You will find the requirement on Page 14 of the 2013-15 NFHS Basketball Officials Manual, Part 1, Section 1.7.1.B.

MTD, Sr.
Which isn't really a uniform requirement because not everybody uses the NFHS Official's Manual.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2014, 12:24pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Which isn't really a uniform requirement because not everybody uses the NFHS Official's Manual.

Welpe:

Billy asked for the NFHS Officials Manual citation. The manual citation applies in States that use NFHS Rules unless said State mandates something different.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Dec 03, 2014, 06:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

IAABO Manual ...

Quote:
Captains meetings ... Required by IAABO.
IAABO Crew Of Two Basketball Officials Manual: Page 11, Pregame: On the court: B, Captains, Coaches, Officials Meeting, E:

The referee shall:
1) Introduces partner, captains, coaches
2) Addresses the head coaches with the following in question and response form:
a) Can we expect good sportsmanship from everyone involved?
b) Are your team members legally equipped, not wearing jewelry, and will they be wearing their uniforms properly?
3) Address other appropriate issues, if necessary

Also, A: This pregame meeting is held half way between the center restraining circle and the tableside sideline.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Dec 03, 2014 at 06:15pm.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2014, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
IAABO Crew Of Two Basketball Officials Manual: Page 11, Pregame: On the court: B, Captains, Coaches, Officials Meeting, E:

The referee shall:
b) Are your team members legally equipped, not wearing jewelry, and will they be wearing their uniforms properly?

Also, A: This pregame meeting is held half way between the center restraining circle and the tableside sideline.
Yep. I'm aware. The most ridiculous waste of time ever. In the over 200 schools our board covers, not one coach has attended a meeting. League conveners don't care if they go to the meeting, so neither do we.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2014, 06:43pm
Esteemed Forum Member

When In Rome ...

Quote:
In the over 200 schools our board covers, not one coach has attended a meeting.
Odd? We service about 70 schools and, over the years, I've only had one head coach send his assistant to the meeting. All the others have attended.

Old Wed Dec 03, 2014, 07:20pm
Administrator

Quote:

The referee shall:

The IAABO Officials Manual, of which Billy speaks, specifies the On Court Pre-Game Conference protocol on Pages 10 (Two-Men) and (107 (Three-Men) of the 2014-15 IAABO Officials Manual. The protocol is same for both Two-Men and Three-Men crews, and is basically the NFHS Guidelines for a Single Conference ,which one will find on Page 15 of the 2013-15 NFHS Basketball Officials Manual, Part 1, Section 1.7.2.

2013-15 NFHS Basketball Officials Manual, Part 1, Section 1.7.1, sets out the On Court Pre-Game Conference protocol for Guidelines for Two Conferences.

I prefer the NFHS Two Conference protocol over the NFHS/IAABO One Conference protocol because there are things that I tell the Captains that I do not want the Head Coaches to hear: Basically that the Captains are in charge of their teams including their teammates on the court and ALL bench personal, including the HC. From a historical standpoint, HCs are an after thought in the Rules, and I like to keep it that way. I still treat them with same respect and professional courtesies, that I would expect from them. I also communicate with them as required by the Rules.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Dec 03, 2014, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

My captains meeting is simple:

- shirts tucked in
-subs to the table
-take care of your players.

my coaches meeting is also quite simple.

" break the huddle on the first horn- any questions? good luck"