The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 05:19pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Backcourt, Or Not ???

A1 is dribbling the ball in his backcourt. A1 passes the ball to A2 who is standing very near the division line with both feet in his frontcourt. Instead of catching the pass, A2 taps the ball to the floor, and the ball first bounces in A2's backcourt. A2 continues to dribble, with both feet in the frontcourt, with the ball being dribbled in the backcourt.

Is this a backcourt violation (tap (touch) gives ball frontcourt status, tap puts the ball into backcourt, second touch by A2 is a backcourt violation), or is this an instance of a dribbler crossing the division line having to get both feet, and the ball, into the frontcourt to gain frontcourt status?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Nov 24, 2014 at 05:21pm.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 05:26pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
A1 is dribbling the ball in his backcourt. A1 passes the ball to A2 who is standing very near the division line with both feet in his frontcourt. Instead of catching the pass, A2 taps the ball to the floor, and the ball first bounces in A2's backcourt. A2 continues to dribble, with both feet in the frontcourt, with the ball being dribbled in the backcourt.

Is this a backcourt violation (tap (touch) gives ball frontcourt status, tap puts the ball into backcourt, second touch by A2 is a backcourt violation), or is this an instance of a dribbler crossing the division line having to get both feet, and the ball, into the frontcourt to gain frontcourt status?
Backcourt violation. The three points rule applies to a player already dribbling in the backcourt, this player is beginning a dribble (albeit through a tap directly off a pass). If I rule the tap to be controlled, I have the ball having PC and TC in the frontcourt before it hits the floor in the backcourt.

I can see the other side of the argument however.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

The Past Interps thread is your friend, Billy.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Doesnt matter whether or not A2 gets accorded PC. Back court violation. A2's touch gives the ball FC status during TC and is the first to touch the ball after it goes BC

9.9.1 SITUATION C:

A1 is dribbling in his/her backcourt and throws a pass to the frontcourt. While standing in A’s frontcourt: (a) A2 or (b) B3 touches the ball and deflects it back to A’s backcourt where it touches the floor. A2 recovers in the backcourt.

RULING: In (a), it is a violation. The ball was in control of A1 and Team A, and a player from A was the last to touch the ball in frontcourt and a player of A was the first to touch it after it returned to the back court. In (b), legal play. A Team A player was not the last to touch the ball in the frontcourt. Team A is entitled to a new 10-second count.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 06:05pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Nevadaref: King Of Past Interpretations Archives ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
The Past Interps thread is your friend, Billy.
Please point me in the right direction. I did a search and there were 86 references to backcourt.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Nov 24, 2014 at 06:07pm.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

First two situations under 2000-01 should give you guidance.
You can also consult the famous backcourt quiz by BktBallRef.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 07:36pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Thanks Nevadaref ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
First two situations under 2000-01 should give you guidance.
SITUATION 1: A1 is straddling the division line after catching and possessing a pass from A2. A1 then fumbles the ball, so that the ball lands in A’s frontcourt. A1 then regains possession of the ball (still straddling the division line). RULING: A1, with Team A in control, caused the ball to go from backcourt to frontcourt and was the first player to touch the ball again in the backcourt. Therefore, a backcourt violation shall be called. (9-9 Note)

SITUATION 2: Same situation as above, except A1 begins a dribble immediately upon fumbling the ball and retreats to his/her backcourt to avoid a defender. RULING: During a dribble from backcourt to frontcourt, the ball is in the frontcourt when the ball and both feet of the dribbler touch the court entirely in the frontcourt. Therefore, the play is legal and play continues. COMMENT: The provision of, “both feet and the ball being in the frontcourt” to determine frontcourt status, is only relevant during a dribble from backcourt to frontcourt. (4-4-6)

Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

COMMENT: The provision of, “both feet and the ball being in the frontcourt” to determine frontcourt status, is only relevant during a dribble from backcourt to frontcourt. (4-4-6)

And the situation in the OP is the opposite direction.