The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Alley Oop & Rim Grab (video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/98676-alley-oop-rim-grab-video.html)

JRutledge Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:13am

Alley Oop & Rim Grab (video)

Legal rim grab?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/TQ39Ng_VZAo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

PG_Ref Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:36am

From the angle shown, it appears as though the ring was grabbed with the right hand before the ball arrived. I can see a "T".

reffish Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:36am

No, technical on player for hanging on rim to gain an advantage.

Raymond Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:08am

Technically we could have a technical for hanging on the rim to gain an advantage once he made a play on the ball. But I'm fine with the no-call.

BryanV21 Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:18am

If the fact he grabbed the rim had any bearing on what happened during or afterwards, then I'd be on the side of t-ing him up. But since nothing happened I'm cool with a no-call.

Camron Rust Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:49am

He didn't grab the rim for safety, IMO. It was close, however. I think he grabbed it for an advantage. This could be called a T but it is close.

AremRed Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:07pm

Not for safety. Technical.

Sharpshooternes Fri Nov 21, 2014 01:12pm

I think we can all agree this is not BI or GT as the coach wants.

BryanV21 Fri Nov 21, 2014 01:15pm

I'm surprised nobody pointed out the error of my ways...

I shouldn't "no-call" it because of the lack of advantage or effect on the play, as I don't believe the rule takes either into account. The player grabbed the rim illegally, and should be t'd up for it.

If a player on the other team grabbed the rim illegally, but for a bit longer, and got t'd up I could have a bad situation on my hands. Where the coach could get upset because I let a player on the other team get away with it, and an explanation of "well you're guy grabbed it longer" will not fly at all.

I tech should be called.

BigCat Fri Nov 21, 2014 02:03pm

i think it is close just because that other player is backing in. i can't tell how close he actually got. I'm ok with a T and be ok without one.

let me ask you this… suppose the player is close, say under him. he grabs the rim with right hand because of that and holds on. the pass is wide left so he catches ball with his left hand. defense still under him. flips it with his left hand up toward basket and before ball enters cylinder lets go of the rim. ball goes in.

what are you going to do? assume there's a danger still because player is present under him. does the offensive player have to stop competing while he is holding the rim to prevent possible injury…

just another ref Fri Nov 21, 2014 02:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 944346)
what are you going to do? assume there's a danger still because player is present under him. does the offensive player have to stop competing while he is holding the rim to prevent possible injury…

Grabbing the rim to gain an advantage is the T. Did he gain an advantage?

Adam Fri Nov 21, 2014 02:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 944349)

Is an actual advantage required to be in violation of the rule?

BigCat Fri Nov 21, 2014 02:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 944349)

He didn't "grab it to gain an advantage." he grabbed it to "prevent injury." :) while grabbing to prevent injury he also caught a pass…
with one hand. I'm not sure that's an advantage…better using two hands and have better balance etc…

the play i describe is extreme but the play in the video made me think…(which is always dangerous.).. what if the player kept going under him and hit his legs, he grabs rim for safety and the ball is right there. just like it was in the video. he grabs it, the ball out of reflex etc. are you going to whack him for it...

Camron Rust Fri Nov 21, 2014 02:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 944352)

No. It is the attempt to gain and advantage that is the infraction.

BigCat Fri Nov 21, 2014 02:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 944352)

one part of the rule says may not "grasp" or grab basket. except to prevent injury. just below another section says you can't place a hand on the backboard or ring to gain an advantage.