The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 16, 2014, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

SCBOA meeting/exam

Yesterday, the South Carolina Basketball Officials Association (SCBOA) held its annual statewide meeting and exam. On the table at this meeting was for our members (~700) to vote on whether to change the ratings system or leave it as is. The final tally of votes was in favor of the new system...

Old system:

-30% written examination
-25% SCBOA experience credit (4 points for each year of certified experience for the first five years. 2.5 points for each year of certified experience for the next two years, full experience credit after 7 years)
-25% officials peer ratings
-15% clinic, written exam, and district meeting attendance
-5% cooperation points (points can be deducted by the commissioner or district director)

New system, voted in yesterday:

-25% written examination
-25% SCBOA experience credit (full experience credit after 5 years)
-25% officials peer ratings
-20% clinic, written exam, and district meeting attendance
-5% cooperation points

So, 5% was taken off the written exam and added to the "attendance" category, which the Association is trying to stress. And full experience credit will now be given after 5 years in the Association rather than 7. Opinions were mixed, as usual with these kinds of things. What are your thoughts on how my state rates its officials?

With regards to the exam, we all take it in the same place at the same time to preserve the integrity as much as possible. Not my favorite thing, especially since I live a couple hours from the site, but I understand why it's done. 100 true/false questions, answered on Scantrons so grading is quick. The highest scoring official in the state was a 19-year-old rookie! Book knowledge doesn't necessarily translate into a great official, but it sure doesn't hurt!

I've been following this message board for awhile and decided to start posting!
Old Sun Nov 16, 2014, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

If it were me I would get rid of the experience credit as it doesn't really mean anything. Peer review can go to unless it's possible for every official to either work with all playoff eligible officials or see them work all you have is a popularity contest.
Old Sun Nov 16, 2014, 07:29pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
If it were me I would get rid of the experience credit as it doesn't really mean anything. Peer review can go to unless it's possible for every official to either work with all playoff eligible officials or see them work all you have is a popularity contest.
Disagree, they limit the experience credit to 5 years. That seem ok to me.

While I don't think peer review requires everyone watch everyone else, I would say I'd need to see the details of the peer review program before deciding if I agree with it or not.
Old Sun Nov 16, 2014, 07:45pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
I've been following this message board for awhile and decided to start posting!
Welcome aboard!

I'm always intrigued at how different so many states and organizations are.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2014, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

The "everyone meet in the same place on one day" thing to take the rules test would never work here. Ours is online and completely open book, and you have something like a month to get it done. In fact, the associations give everyone the answers so they can fill the test out.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2014, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Another point: in South Carolina, all varsity contests (other than pre-season and holiday tournaments) are assigned by the High School League based on the ratings. Sub-varsity contests and those tournaments are assigned by one of 12 district directors. This is what our list of ratings looks like: http://www.schsl.org/2013Forms/1314SCBOARATINGS.pdf

We submit peer ratings on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the best) and the average is computed and multiple by 2.5.

I don't love the experience credit category, but I understand people that disagree. In my opinion, if an official is ready for varsity contests in his/her second or third season, there shouldn't be a number that keeps him/her from getting those assignments. I'm glad that we reduced the number of years required for full experience credit from 7 to 5. The Association is trying to get younger officials working varsity games sooner in an attempt to keep them from being discouraged, going to college ball, or leaving the Association (quitting or going to the Independent Schools Officials Association).

If an official doesn't make the Saturday exam, (s)he has to drive to Columbia the following Monday and take it for a $25 fee, and also has two points deducted from his/her rating unless there is a valid excuse for missing.