The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 25, 2001, 04:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
....now at the end of my second whole day (48 hours!!) with no basketball...

...snapping at the kids...

...eyes darting nervously back and forth...

...dreaming about block/charge, tossing, last-second shots...

...my husband says I'm reporting fouls in my sleep...

... caught myself stepping one pace sideways in church tonight to get a better angle on the candlelighters.....

Does anyone know of an emergency Whistles Anonymous meeting tomorrow in the Portland (OR) area??

(Maybe I'll take my whistle to the park tomorrow morning when I walk the dog, and see if I can master the "Triple-Tweet" technique so many college refs use....)
Old Tue Dec 25, 2001, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Juulie, I haven't had a game since Dec. 9th, and I won't until at least Jan. 13th.

If it weren't for this board, I'd have to be comitted for the withdrawals.
Old Tue Dec 25, 2001, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Juulie & Mark:

Come to the northern VA area -- we have Christmas tournys out the wazooo! I have a d/h BJV Wed/Thur/Fri and a VG on Saturday, plus scoring/timing my association's annual tourny. Good thing my wife puts up with this -- of course I haven't seen a check in about 5 years. For some reason, the association mails them directly to her.

Juulie: I noticed your post was timed at 3:43am. Were you really up that early (or late as the case may be), or is there a time-lag in posting times? Just curious. My son in in Olympia, WA and I keep having to remember the 3-hour difference when I try to contact him.

Happy Holidays to Everyone!!!
Old Tue Dec 25, 2001, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Keep good habits

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

(Maybe I'll take my whistle to the park tomorrow morning when I walk the dog, and see if I can master the "Triple-Tweet" technique so many college refs use....)
Juulie,

Try not to learn this technique. I must admit that I use the multiple tweet for violations, but it is a bad and improper habit. So if you are still just giving one solid tweet for everything, continue to do so. There is no good reason to intentionally pick up the bad habits of some of the old timers (looking in mirror now)
Old Tue Dec 25, 2001, 03:30pm
In Memoriam

Re: Keep good habits

Quote:
Originally posted by bigwhistle
Juulie,

Try not to learn this technique. I must admit that I use the multiple tweet for violations, but it is a bad and improper habit. So if you are still just giving one solid tweet for everything, continue to do so. There is no good reason to intentionally pick up the bad habits of some of the old timers (looking in mirror now) [/B]
Biggie,I still use the "twiple-tweet" when I get one of those train wrecks where I want everyone to stop in a hurry before anything develops.I think it can be a good tool to use when you need to get everyones attention quickly.I try to stay away from it for all normal calls.What do you think about those situations?Btw,the first thing I was taught was to keep the whistle firmly in my mouth and blow it as hard as I could-every call.No half-hearted peeps.Still good advice for the newer official(and us old timers).
Old Tue Dec 25, 2001, 04:31pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Lightbulb

Juulie - you know you can always email me to get your fix. As for going cold turkey for a few days, try rearranging your ref bag, soaking all your whistles in mouthwash, practicing your mechanics in front of a mirror and, of course, seeing how many anagrams you can make out of the word "Howard."
Old Tue Dec 25, 2001, 06:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thank you Jesus!!!

I have a game tommorrow so I am not feeling so bad about having the time off. I had a game on the 22nd, so this is not so much of an unusual layoff for me personally.
Old Tue Dec 25, 2001, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Re: Re: Keep good habits

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Biggie,I still use the "twiple-tweet" when I get one of those train wrecks where I want everyone to stop in a hurry before anything develops.I think it can be a good tool to use when you need to get everyones attention quickly.I try to stay away from it for all normal calls.What do you think about those situations?Btw,the first thing I was taught was to keep the whistle firmly in my mouth and blow it as hard as I could-every call.No half-hearted peeps.Still good advice for the newer official(and us old timers).
JR

It does not bother me if my partners use the multiple whistles, but I still think it is best to not get in the habit. As far as getting attention for the wrecks, I think the hard whistle will do just as well as multiple.

The only positive about the way that I use them (and this is probably just justification in my own mind) is that if my partner(s) hear the multiple tweets they know the ball will be going the other way because we had a violation.
Old Tue Dec 25, 2001, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
Come to the northern VA area -- we have Christmas tournys out the wazooo!
AAaaaaaarrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhh!!! I just left DC Thursday!!!
Old Tue Dec 25, 2001, 06:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

Wink Re: Re: Keep good habits

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee

You blow that Fox 40 with enough air into it, I guarantee everyone will get your attention. You only draw more attention to yourself in my opinion. One good blast is good enough.

Peace

[Edited by JRutledge on Dec 25th, 2001 at 05:24 PM]
Old Tue Dec 25, 2001, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

I got a game!!

Nothing fancy, just a 2-on-2 pickup game between family members after Christmas dinner. At least it helped me keep my mechanics sharp.
Old Thu Dec 27, 2001, 12:54am
Official Forum Member

Hi there, I'm a rookie here in this board. I ref in Hong Kong SAR where I can have 2 games in 2 weeks average. I told myself its not my fault for gaining 19 lbs in 13 months-after migrating back from Canada.
Old Thu Dec 27, 2001, 01:06am
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Chin Ref
Hi there, I'm a rookie here in this board. I ref in Hong Kong SAR where I can have 2 games in 2 weeks average. I told myself its not my fault for gaining 19 lbs in 13 months-after migrating back from Canada.
Maybe it's from eating all that Chinese food. Actually, I guess over there you just call it "food".
Old Thu Dec 27, 2001, 01:41am
Official Forum Member

Hi Mark, for sure you're right, it's the matter of self discipline.
Old Thu Dec 27, 2001, 01:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Yes, I actually was up at 3:43 Central Time (which is 1:43 here). I had just finished the "Santa" business and needed to unwind a little. I do have one game Thursday, and then I'll be on a little vacation, staying in a motel, and soaking in as much bball from tv as I can get. I hope that holds me over until private schools start back here on the 3rd.