The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 12, 2014, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

"Don't point fingers"

I follow a very well-respected official from Georgia on Twitter whose username is @RayTheRef. Today, he tweeted three tweets which caught my attention...

"What's up with the officials using the one-finger pointing? Why "buy into" this instead of using the Approved, Proper & Professional Signal?"

"One finger for Direction, One Finger for Counting, One Finger for Starting The Clock, One Finger for last minute, etc. No dignity. No pride."

"Weren't you taught as a child not to point? Some officials have gone for 4 fingers to 2 & now 1. I'm worried as to which one finger is next."

This is something that, for me, I've never really thought about, probably because my assigner really couldn't care less if I signal direction with one, two, or four fingers. I know that in high school the chart says to use four fingers, and I try to get in the habit of it. I also chop and count with a full hand.

My question is: is this something that your assigner(s) are strict about, is this something you think is a big deal?
Old Wed Nov 12, 2014, 11:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

Technically, the state cares. Is it a deal breaker? Nope.

Peace
Old Thu Nov 13, 2014, 12:06am
Get away from me, Steve.

I'm not sure a lot of people care. His Twitter feed is amusing.

I'm a big fan of doing things right, but this guy sounds like it's a religion to him.
Old Thu Nov 13, 2014, 12:29am
Do not give a damn!!

Well he goes on and on about doing things right, but he never seems to say what level he is talking about. Many levels do not have mechanics that do what he suggests.

Peace
Old Thu Nov 13, 2014, 12:46am
AremRed

When you point at things in real life, do you use four fingers or one? Why should your pointing on the court be any different?

Honestly it varies state-by-state and official-by-official but my personal belief is simple: I don't give a crap about your "signal package" as long as you are communicating adequately. IMO the approved signals are not there to get everyone looking the same for posterity, they are there to provide a set of guidelines for clear communication as to what calls you are making. If my signals do the same job communicating what I have while looking stronger and selling my call better, I am going to use those better signals. Your mileage may vary.
Old Thu Nov 13, 2014, 12:47am
AremRed

An aside: I was recently discussing a play on the court during a timeout and pointed to the spot of the play. After the game one of my P's told me never to point when discussing a play -- people in the crowd might see it and think we are discussing something because we got it wrong. Is that something I should care about?
Old Thu Nov 13, 2014, 03:56am
This IS My Social Life

To the POINT

No problems when it's done by the book (cf. Faceless Pictograph Guy/Girl):
5-4-1.
5 - Upraised open hand subsequent to whistle for violation
4 - Direction play will resume
1 - Location of throw-in (used to be 2, but picto-graph guy changed last year)

A "deal-breaker"? Maybe not with all responsible authorities. But it's promoted as the standard for signaling and just looks good when everyone in the pool does it the same.

As to general pointing, no big deal.

Pointing to the bench of the team who fouled (the "Accusatory Point") when reporting to the table was branded "verboten" and considered unapproved several years ago.

Pointing at the spot of the violation when no approved signal is given is approved by the manual. Nothing impolite about that.
Old Thu Nov 13, 2014, 08:21am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
An aside: I was recently discussing a play on the court during a timeout and pointed to the spot of the play. After the game one of my P's told me never to point when discussing a play -- people in the crowd might see it and think we are discussing something because we got it wrong. Is that something I should care about?
I've had a couple of mentors who are adamant about not pointing or doing any type of arm movements while having a discussion with partners, and especially with coaches.
Old Thu Nov 13, 2014, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

If your assignor cares, you should care.
Old Thu Nov 13, 2014, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

What about pointing to the offending player/coach after a T?
Old Thu Nov 13, 2014, 09:35am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballref3966 View Post
What about pointing to the offending player/coach after a T?
If T'ing a coach, I will point in the general direction of the coach/bench while looking at the table when I first signal the T. When I report it, I do so as I would any other foul.

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Nov 13, 2014 at 09:42am.
Old Thu Nov 13, 2014, 09:49am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Technically, the state cares. Is it a deal breaker? Nope.

Peace
Same here, and same with the assigner. It gets mentioned every year during meetings.
Old Thu Nov 13, 2014, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

I use two appressed fingers to indicate directionality. I've seen a few officials use the one finger to indicate directionality and I'm not a fan of it--as it just looks too shall I say "pedestrian" i.e., common place and not ascribed to a profession. But that is just me being pompous
Our manual shows an open hand to show direction, but I use an open hand with fingers appressed to indicate a violation.
Don't most of you think that using one finger is not a good look?
Old Thu Nov 13, 2014, 10:28am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
Don't most of you think that using one finger is not a good look?
In this part of the country, especially at the college level, it's the norm to use 1 finger.
Old Thu Nov 13, 2014, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

To each his own . . .

When I asked an official why he uses 2 fingers to indicate direction, he said "Because it looks stronger than 1 finger, why?" (did I ask)
When I replied that the manual shows a full hand - that is, all 4 fingers - which then, must be stronger than 2 fingers, he frowned, and had no further reply.
It's notable, in my area, that most of the higher ranked officials - those who consider themselves to be among the power elite - use 2 fingers. It seems that they do it because they feel that it sets them apart from the common, lower ranked officials, who just do what the manual indicates.