The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Lane Spots (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/98563-lane-spots.html)

Bad Zebra Wed Oct 29, 2014 09:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballgame99 (Post 942531)
Our state association director of officials stated that it was so a rebounder couldn't stand back 36 inches from the lane and get a running start at the rebound.

This is the same reasoning we got from our state association a couple years ago, who supposedly got it unofficially, verbally from the Fed. Who knows where it originated from...probably a Fed board member saw it at a game once and thought "there outta be a rule..."

Adam Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 942573)
This is the same reasoning we got from our state association a couple years ago, who supposedly got it unofficially, verbally from the Fed. Who knows where it originated from...probably a Fed board member saw it at a game once and thought "there outta be a rule..."

I was under the impression it was meant to stop the play where A2 steps back and drops behind B1 unseen: but I never really heard officially.

I've never actually seen a player stand back far enough to warrant making this call.

ballgame99 Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 942555)
Why would that be a problem?

There is enough contact on a missed FT as it is, giving one player a 3 foot head start to come crashing in would only result in more, I'm guessing.

Lotto Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 942525)
Yes: NFHS and NCAA Men's

No: NCAA Women's, FIBA, and NBA/WNBA

MTD, Sr.

I believe that the answer in NCAAW is yes. This was a change, I think, 2 years ago. B cannot put more than 4 players in lane spaces, but if spaces are vacant, players can move to occupy them. (8-4.4b and c)

bob jenkins Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lotto (Post 942584)
I believe that the answer in NCAAW is yes. This was a change, I think, 2 years ago. B cannot put more than 4 players in lane spaces, but if spaces are vacant, players can move to occupy them. (8-4.4b and c)

Correct. Changed for the 2011-12 season.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lotto (Post 942584)

I stand corrected. I retired from officiating college basketball after the 2007-08 season, and while I purchase the NCAA Men's and Women's college rules books every year, I sometimes do not peruse them as closely as I should.

MTD, Sr.

Adam Wed Oct 29, 2014 01:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballgame99 (Post 942578)
There is enough contact on a missed FT as it is, giving one player a 3 foot head start to come crashing in would only result in more, I'm guessing.

And calling the foul would put a quick stop to it.

No need to guess. :)

JetMetFan Wed Oct 29, 2014 02:20pm

The answer is...

From May 2009:

Quote:

New language in Rule 9-1-3d states that a player leaves a marked lane space when he or she contacts any part of the court outside the marked lane space (3 feet by 3 feet). A clarification to Rule 9-1-3g indicates that a player occupying a marked lane space must have one foot positioned near the outer edge of the free-throw lane line with the other positioned anywhere within the designated 36-inch lane space.

(Mary) Struckhoff said these changes were necessitated by players attempting to leave their positions too early to gain a rebound advantage.

OKREF Wed Oct 29, 2014 03:02pm

Doesn't being able to move on the release make this reasoning obsolete now?

Kansas Ref Wed Oct 29, 2014 03:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 942597)

*I'm thinking the same thing

BryanV21 Wed Oct 29, 2014 03:20pm

I guess they're trying to avoid players gaining momentum, and thus turning a simple foul into something that could cause injury.

Kansas Ref Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanV21 (Post 942603)
I guess they're trying to avoid players gaining momentum, and thus turning a simple foul into something that could cause injury.

*Well I must say that you are conferring a measure of "fore sight" to our NFHS rule makers, perhaps that was their stratagem--an ultimate concern for the student-athlete's safety but hey I am just a worker bee.

Sharpshooternes Thu Oct 30, 2014 09:43pm

Just remember, only two offensive and four defensive players maximum are allowed at any time no matter how many empty spots there are.

Adam Thu Oct 30, 2014 09:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes (Post 942681)
Just remember, only two offensive and four players maximum are allowed at any time no matter how many empty spots there are.

??

Adam Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 942597)

That reasoning, yes. I'm not sure that was it, though.