The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 26, 2014, 05:28pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
What's your rule basis for that? Who is going to be penalized? Home team coach? Administrative T? What if it's a holiday tournament? Slippery slope there.
Rule 2.8.1
Penalize unsporting conduct by any player, coach, substitute, team attendant or follower.

As for the penalty I'd cite Rule 10.4.1.f which states that a bench technical would be called for "inciting undesirable crowd reactions." Or there's 10.4.1.d which states a bench tech would be called for "disrespectfully addressing, baiting or taunting an opponent."

Last edited by BryanV21; Sun Oct 26, 2014 at 05:32pm.
Old Sun Oct 26, 2014, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

i think

The best course of action in my opinion would be to notify the announcer what he is doing isn't permitted. If he or she continues have them removed. I would only revert to a T if I had no other choice. I would rather see him removed from the gym before a T is issued. Same with fans.
Old Sun Oct 26, 2014, 05:41pm
NFHS Official

All I know, is in my state we were directed not to give a T under any circumstance. If it is a problem, we are to notify our state association.
Old Sun Oct 26, 2014, 05:43pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIAA REF View Post
The best course of action in my opinion would be to notify the announcer what he is doing isn't permitted. If he or she continues have them removed. I would only revert to a T if I had no other choice. I would rather see him removed from the gym before a T is issued. Same with fans.
Yeah, perhaps you're right. Go to the source of the problem first (the announcer).

I'm just not sure about stopping the game to find the game manager to alert them to the problem. I'd almost rather make a quick comment about the problem to the coach.

Either way, I agree that a tech is the last thing I want to do. I'd hate penalizing the team for something that was out of their control.
Old Sun Oct 26, 2014, 05:44pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
All I know, is in my state we were directed not to give a T under any circumstance. If it is a problem, we are to notify our state association.
What if the visiting team takes offense to what is said (see Billy's situation from a few years ago)? Shouldn't we nip that in the bud right away, so it doesn't possibly cause issues during the game?
Old Sun Oct 26, 2014, 05:52pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
Rule 2.8.1
Penalize unsporting conduct by any player, coach, substitute, team attendant or follower.

As for the penalty I'd cite Rule 10.4.1.f which states that a bench technical would be called for "inciting undesirable crowd reactions." Or there's 10.4.1.d which states a bench tech would be called for "disrespectfully addressing, baiting or taunting an opponent."
Both of those are a BIG reach. IN 10-4-1F...The announcer isn't the crowd...and that rule is more intended for the coach's actions....10-4-1D: announcing isn't really addressing the opponent.

I'd be more apt to have the announcer removed...only AFTER addressing it with game admin. and having them try to correct it. Penalizing a team by handing out T's here isn't supported by rule.
Old Sun Oct 26, 2014, 05:56pm
NFHS Official

Why the sudden outrage on announcers. This was a new rule for the 2013-14 season. It's just been made a POE for this year, and you will find no penalty for this.
Old Sun Oct 26, 2014, 05:59pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
What if the visiting team takes offense to what is said (see Billy's situation from a few years ago)? Shouldn't we nip that in the bud right away, so it doesn't possibly cause issues during the game?
We have been instructed to get with on site administration, and if need be, they can remove them.
Old Sun Oct 26, 2014, 06:02pm
Stubborn Member

If those penalties in Rule 10 can not be handed down, then do we have another rule that doesn't have a penalty attached to it?

Our rulemakers like to force us to give empty threats.
Old Sun Oct 26, 2014, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

no penalty

You are right as there is no penalty but you still need to enforce it. Just like there is no penalty for coming into the game with illegal leggings or arm sleeves. It simply isn't allowed. Just as you would not let the player play with those you can't allow the announcer to announce when clock is running and when ball is live, clocked stopped.
Old Sun Oct 26, 2014, 06:08pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIAA REF View Post
You are right as there is no penalty but you still need to enforce it. Just like there is no penalty for coming into the game with illegal leggings or arm sleeves. It simply isn't allowed. Just as you would not let the player play with those you can't allow the announcer to announce when clock is running and when ball is live, clocked stopped.
Okay...

When things first go wrong with the announcing, tell the announcer to clean up his act or you'll have him removed. If there's another issue, have game management remove him.

So much for passing responsibility for fixing things on the coach. Damn. LOL
Old Sun Oct 26, 2014, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

A few things

Rule 1-18 only says that the announcer is profibited from making announcements during the game. It makes no mention of dead balls, half time, time outs, etc. It is quite vague. The POE on the other hand is much more detailed. The POE does say the announcer may say who scored which seems to be in conflict with the "stopped clock" requirement since it makes no sense to announce who scored several minutes after it happens so I would expect it to happen right after the basket. Its a dead ball but the clock is running so it seems muddled. But, as I said earlier, even if allowed I don't see how there would be enough time to do so. I am more than comfortable going with no announcement at all in this case.

The announcer is not part of the table crew (only the scorer and timer are mentioned as such) so I feel you could be justified including the announcer as a fan/follower. In addition, casebook play 1.18 indicates that a scoreboard operator who is acting unsportingly can be penalized with a T so I don't see why that doesn't also apply to an announcer (especially since the scoreboard operator is probably also the official timer).

In practice, if I get no where with the announcer after a polite reminder of the POE then I can stand in front of the table and the game can wait until the announcer is replaced. I am sure the game administrator's patience will run out before mine will.
Old Sun Oct 26, 2014, 08:14pm
This IS My Social Life

End of Issue Here

Phone calls and emails today to various and sundry local AD's asking their opinion of the issue. This actual response from one of the was representative of their take on it:

"It is athletic director responsibility to train and hire announcers. However, if an announcer is violating policy, the official should bring it to the athletic director's attention. Blatant violation should be written up on the state report form."

That particular AD also happens to serve on our state's representative board.
That's also how the issue was taught at an association rules meeting tonight.
Old Tue Oct 28, 2014, 08:23pm
@NDAnnouncer on Twitter

What this boils down to is professionalism. For those of us who have and will continue to announce with professionalism this will not be a problem. The only things that I notice that will be the biggest change is that you aren't supposed to reference how many points are scored by a player and you aren't supposed to reference how many personal fouls a player has and how many team fouls a team has. I disagree with those points...but will go along with them.

As far as making announcements during play...nothing has changed there. We should NEVER make announcements during play unless it is an emergency...in which case play would more than likely be stopped. We will still be continued to announce the player's name who scores a basket...that hasn't changed.

What this will do away with is the announcer who thinks they are auditioning for a play-by-play position with a local radio station and the want to be NBA announcers. For those of us who take our job seriously...this will be welcomed! I cringe every time I visit an opposing gym and hear those types of announcers.

To all of my fellow announcers...stay professional and the enforcement of the POE's will be minimal.
Old Tue Oct 28, 2014, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Still change

Most of what u said is correct except announcers cannot announce who scores unless the clock is stopped and ball is not live. That takes away from a player scoring and announcers saying "Billy Jones for two". That is by rule not permitted