The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 25, 2014, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

POE announcer question

There seems to be some confusion in my area about the announcer POE. The main issue is it says they are not permitted to make announcements while clock is running or in a live ball situation. It later gives things that can be announced such as who scored. So does the list of permitted things allowed to be done only when the clock is stopped and dead ball situations? This would be eliminating announcements right after a score correct?
Old Sat Oct 25, 2014, 10:01pm
Stubborn Member

The way I read it is the announcer can not say anything during a live ball. Whether that's who scored, who was fouled, etc. He/She can ONLY talk when the ball is dead.
Old Sat Oct 25, 2014, 11:51pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Is not the ball briefly dead after a made basket?

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Sun Oct 26, 2014, 12:00am
Stubborn Member

Sure, for a couple seconds.

Send like yet another rule that we don't have to care about.
Old Sun Oct 26, 2014, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

Yes, but not in theory...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
The way I read it is the announcer can not say anything during a live ball. Whether that's who scored, who was fouled, etc. He/She can ONLY talk when the ball is dead.
Technically the announcer is allowed to announce who scored but since he can only do so in that short amount of time while the ball is dead between the ball going through the hoop and the start of the ensuing throw in he better spit it out fast. Plus, if all he can say is "Bill Jones", "James Monroe", or "Lefty Twofoots" I doubt it will be that cool so few will want to do it.

Announcers around here aren't too bad but there are a few schools that were headed in the direction of going too far. I can forsee an announcer trying to argue that the rules permit him to announce the name of who scored if they don't understand when the ball becomes live after a made basket.

At our last meeting we were encouraged to visit with the announcer as part of our pregame with the table. I'm thinking about printing out tiny little copies of the rule & POE just in case someone needs a reminder.
Old Sun Oct 26, 2014, 12:44am
NFHS Official

We've been told that basically the rule was to stop the announcer from doing a play by play call like you would hear on the radio. No running commentary during the game.
Old Sun Oct 26, 2014, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

imo, it would be nice if the states (at least IL) decided to interpet it / enforce it that way -- but that's not what the rule says
Old Sun Oct 26, 2014, 01:43pm
This IS My Social Life

The Way It Should Be

Am striving around here to propose the shift of this idiocy from officials' responsibility to where it belongs, the responsibility of the AD's and/or game administrators.
This ought not be an officials' issue. Next things they'll have us enforce: concession stand health standards, the Pantone shading of the color of pens the scorekeepers use, and the grains of hardness of the water coming out of the locker room showers.
What the heck is the NFHS thinkin'?
Had this really been a problem in the area of the country where you officiate?
Old Sun Oct 26, 2014, 03:11pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It's Not A Pro Am Game ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Only once, and we, as officials had to handle it:

Game Announcers ...

In my mind, I'm pleased that the NFHS has given us rule backing to stop this kind of behavior.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Oct 26, 2014, 03:13pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Am striving around here to propose the shift of this idiocy from officials' responsibility to where it belongs, the responsibility of the AD's and/or game administrators.
This ought not be an officials' issue. Next things they'll have us enforce: concession stand health standards, the Pantone shading of the color of pens the scorekeepers use, and the grains of hardness of the water coming out of the locker room showers.
What the heck is the NFHS thinkin'?
There isn't even a penalty for any issue with the announcer. We were instructed last year when this came out, that any problem we have with an announcer, we should continue the game and notify our state director and they would handle it.
Old Sun Oct 26, 2014, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This ought not be an officials' issue.
In a perfect world that would be great. But since the announcer, music, sound effects, etc. could affect the other teams ability to fairly play ball and since there are many administrators who would do nothing (out of fear, incompetence, or collusion) then unfortunately it falls on us as the only impartial arbitrators of the game.

However, we would rarely have to enforce any of these "tangient" rules (uniforms, fans, announcers) if NFHS and state orgs would make the penalty harsh enough to really bite and then insist we enforce them that way. In my board, we are "discouraged" from penalizing the team with a tech or forfeit for the behaviors of those not with the team but I'll bet if we strictly enforced one warning, one tech, and then forfiet the game if the responsible team/admin did not get it under control it wouldn't be our problem for long.

And, while I do follow my boards thinking to a degree (have never had to give a tech or forfieted a game for these) I get REALLY grumpy if a team makes me have to deal with such issues. Leashes get shorter and trigger fingers get a lot more sensitive.
Old Sun Oct 26, 2014, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

still confused?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
Technically the announcer is allowed to announce who scored but since he can only do so in that short amount of time while the ball is dead between the ball going through the hoop and the start of the ensuing throw in he better spit it out fast. Plus, if all he can say is "Bill Jones", "James Monroe", or "Lefty Twofoots" I doubt it will be that cool so few will want to do it.

Announcers around here aren't too bad but there are a few schools that were headed in the direction of going too far. I can forsee an announcer trying to argue that the rules permit him to announce the name of who scored if they don't understand when the ball becomes live after a made basket.

At our last meeting we were encouraged to visit with the announcer as part of our pregame with the table. I'm thinking about printing out tiny little copies of the rule & POE just in case someone needs a reminder.
I don't think that they are allowed to announce after a made bucket because the clock is still running. this is what is on the pdf from NFHS

The announcer shall be prohibited from making an announcement while the clock is running and while the clock is stopped and the ball is alive…such as during a free throw, a throw in, etc. Doing so could potentially affect communication of coaches, players or be disconcerting

So if I am understanding this they can not announce who scored after a made bucket because the clock is running, correct?
Old Sun Oct 26, 2014, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

I would hope it means what was mentioned earlier: They can't do play-by-play as though the game is an And1 mix tape (and yes, I ran into this situation in a BV game 2-3 seasons ago). I would hope the rule allows announcers to say who scored and whether it's a 2 or a 3. In other words, what we hear when we go to pro or college games.

I would also hope when they say "announcements while the clock is running" or when the clock is stopped and the ball is live the goal is to eliminate cheering, leading chants of "defense" or just saying something like, "You can buy 50-50 tickets at the concession stand."
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sun Oct 26, 2014, 05:00pm
Stubborn Member

Unless an assignor or supervisor says otherwise, I don't see myself making a fuss over what the announcer says.

If an announcer says "John Smith with the three" I'm going to let it go. However, if it's more like "John Smith with the THREEEEEEE" then I'll probably let the head coach know that the announcer is flirting with an unsportsmanlike penalty by not following this year's new rule regarding announcements. Chances are that coach will make sure it's taken care of for us. Just like if one of his assistant coaches is getting out of hand.

Basically, just don't do or say something that can be deemed disrespectful or interfering with the game.
Old Sun Oct 26, 2014, 05:25pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
... I'll probably let the head coach know that the announcer is flirting with an unsportsmanlike penalty by not following this year's new rule regarding announcements...
What's your rule basis for that? Who is going to be penalized? Home team coach? Administrative T? What if it's a holiday tournament? Slippery slope there.