The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Correctable Error (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/98543-correctable-error.html)

The_Rookie Tue Oct 21, 2014 05:19pm

Correctable Error

A1 is fouled with five seconds remaining in the second quarter. Team A is awarded a throw-in and A1 passes the ball inbounds to A2, the horn sounds ending the quarter. As officials enter the court from the half-time intermission, the scorer informs the Referee that A1 should have been awarded one-and-one bonus situation.

Ruling: Shoot 1+1 to start Q3 no players on line and throw in with AP at division line.

Modification: If A1 passes to A2 and A2 makes a 3 before the half ends, does the basket still count? Would A1 still get the 1+1 to correct the error?

bballref3966 Tue Oct 21, 2014 06:00pm

Whether or not A2's 3-pointer counts is independent of the correctable error situation. The basket counts, and assuming the ball did not again become live prior to the end of the half, the error would still be correctable and A1 would get his 1+1 coming back from the half.

Foul (dead ball) ------> Team A throw-in (live ball) ------> A2 scores (first dead ball after the clock has been properly started) ------> Period ends without ball becoming live again

Now if Team B had the ball at its disposal for a throw-in following A2's three-pointer, then the first dead ball after the clock has been properly started has passed, and the error is no longer correctable.

referee99 Tue Oct 21, 2014 09:33pm

this play...

... was recently discussed on another forum.

The discussion was about which basket the free throws would be shot at.

BryanV21 Tue Oct 21, 2014 09:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by referee99 (Post 942159)

At the basket team A was shooting at in the first half, as that is the basket he should have shot at when the error occurred. Right?

BillyMac Wed Oct 22, 2014 06:13am

My Two Cents ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanV21 (Post 942160)
At the basket team A was shooting at in the first half, as that is the basket he should have shot at when the error occurred. Right?

The second period ended. We're now in the third period. Shoot in the basket the team is supposed to shoot at in the second half. Right?

billyu2 Wed Oct 22, 2014 06:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 942169)
The second period ended. We're now in the third period. Shoot in the basket the team is supposed to shoot at in the second half. Right?

The error was made in the second quarter. We are going back to correct that error. The teams switch baskets and now the third period will start with the AP arrow. Right?

JetMetFan Wed Oct 22, 2014 07:49am

As was posted in the other forum...

Remove the full intermission element of things. If the error had been discovered one minute after the horn sounded at the end of the first half where would the shots take place?

billyu2 Wed Oct 22, 2014 07:54am

not an issue

Quote:

Originally Posted by referee99 (Post 942159)

R99, this probably won't be an issue because before we shoot the free throws we should have explained to both coaches that we have a correctable error situation and A1 will shoot the merited free throws. In the absence of a specific ruling, we just tell them what basket we are going to shoot at and I'm sure the coaches will be fine with that.

Rob1968 Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyu2 (Post 942180)
R99, this probably won't be an issue because before we shoot the free throws we should have explained to both coaches that we have a correctable error situation and A1 will shoot the merited free throws. In the absence of a specific ruling, we just tell them what basket we are going to shoot at and I'm sure the coaches will be fine with that.

It seems to me, a period is not completed until all activities that are part of that period are finished. Thus, the free throws, as merited in the 1st half, would be shot at the basket assigned to the offended team in that 1st half.

Reference: 5-6-EXCEPTIONS: 3. The quarter or extra period ends when the free throw(s) and all related activity have been completed. No penalty or part of a penalty carries over from one quarter or extra period to the next, except when a correctable error, as in 2-10, is rectified.

My rationale: Because the change of goals is part of the 2nd half, it must not take place until the 1st half is complete, which includes the free throw attempts in question, at the goal assigned to the offended team in the 1st half. 2-10-6. . . If an error is corrected, play shall be resumed from the point of interruption to rectifiy the error, . . .
JMHO

Adam Wed Oct 22, 2014 01:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyu2 (Post 942180)

I agree. Pick one and go with it. I'd probably go to the first half basket, but if you're going back and shooting FTs from the first half, no one is really going to question you about which basket you shoot at. They might question whether it's too late to correct, but after that's resolved, their heads will be spinning and they won't worry about which basket.

BillyMac Wed Oct 22, 2014 04:40pm

Fun With Rules ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob1968 (Post 942212)
It seems to me, a period is not completed until all activities that are part of that period are finished.

The error occurred in the second period, but the correction will take place in the third period. Right?

What if a foul occurs, after the halftime intermission, during the correction? What if that team had six fouls in the first half, would the foul count toward the first half, thus seven, and now we're shooting one and one?

(Note: I can't think of a situation where we would have a common foul, just intentionals, and technicals, but it's still good question. Right?)

Heck? Just shoot at one of the side baskets. Right?

OKREF Wed Oct 22, 2014 04:48pm

What difference does it make which end you shoot at. Coach we have a correctable, should have shot a 1-1. Put the shooter on the floor, then start the period with an AP. I would probably go with the way they are going in the second half. It could be confusing if you shoot the free throws at one end then turn around at go the other way.

billyu2 Wed Oct 22, 2014 07:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 942235)
The error occurred in the second period, but the correction will take place in the third period. Right?

What if a foul occurs, after the halftime intermission, during the correction? What if that team had six fouls in the first half, would the foul count toward the first half, thus seven, and now we're shooting one and one?

(Note: I can't think of a situation where we would have a common foul, just intentionals, and technicals, but it's still good question. Right?)

Heck? Just shoot at one of the side baskets. Right?

BillyMac, trying to see if I have this right. By your reasoning, if this scenario happened with :05 left in the 4th quarter with the score tied, and the error was discovered during the intermission before overtime, you would start the extension of the 4th quarter with the free throws rather than part of the regular 4th quarter (which could determine if the extension was even needed), right?
Hint: 2.10.1B

Camron Rust Thu Oct 23, 2014 01:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyu2 (Post 942242)
BillyMac, trying to see if I have this right. By your reasoning, if this scenario happened with :05 left in the 4th quarter with the score tied, and the error was discovered during the intermission before overtime, you would start the extension of the 4th quarter with the free throws rather than part of the regular 4th quarter (which could determine if the extension was even needed), right?
Hint: 2.10.1B

Not the same....and I didn't even look up your hint.

BillyMac Thu Oct 23, 2014 06:13am

Right ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyu2 (Post 942242)
... if this scenario happened with :05 left in the 4th quarter with the score tied, and the error was discovered during the intermission before overtime, you would start the extension of the 4th quarter with the free throws rather than part of the regular 4th quarter ...

Yes. I believe that I would (if by extension of the 4th quarter you mean overtime). But I wouldn't bet my house on this being the correct interpretation. I look forward to comments from esteemed Forum members.