The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 27, 2003, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Some of us like to bust on each other about rules knowledge vs presence, I had a once in every 20 yrs situation at camp that illustrates both. Second of 2 free throws, the ball ends up resting on the ring. B1 goes up & grabs it off. I'm C, no brainer BI call. Tweet, count the basket, B's ball to run the endline. Coach A asks "that's 2, right ref?" Since every other BI/GT I've ever seen is 2 points, occasionally 3, I switch off my brain, turn around, put up 2 fingers & nod my head. Coach B jumps up - "how could it be 2 points on a free throw???" and I cooly say "yeah 2, why not?" Great presence so far. Coach sceeches "WHAT???", which kickstarts me back into reality and I hear a little voice inside saying "nice going assh*le" - followed shortly by "hey wait...free throws? BI? Aint there something in every test about FT's & BI....or was that GT? Or maybe not? That's the one everyone always get wrong anyway...don't worry about it, it will never happen to YOU...yeah right...damn!" Now there's 2 voices, the second one is saying "c'mon...that wasn't off the FT, it was on the put back...you know it's impossible to have BI/GT off a FT fergawdsake." Meanwhile the first voice has started reciting every test Q/A it remembers when a third voice pipes in "They did tell us this camp follow HS rules, right?" and the coach apparently has decided "WHAT????!!!!" does not sufficiently express his disappointment....but coach A is on my side for sure 'cause he chimes in helpfully "hey man, he already said it's 2 damn points now let's get the game going ref". The one thing I do know is that during all this I am showing great presence, I may have just turned this thing into a sh!thouse but I'm looking cool standing there in front of the table with all these voices going on inside & outside my head...and the next voice I hear is my partner whipering "Dan! Dan! Get off the floor and stop crying! It's one point, one point." He slaps me and I ask "One? Not off the put back?" And he hugs me and says "that's right, just one. It's just one point". So...now I'm back! I turn to the table, put up 1 finger with a big "one point! B gets the ball & the endlne!" Coach A seems OK with it afterall 'cause he's smiling to himself, shaking his head but coach B apparently has still not gotten over his initial shock because he's now subtlely questioning my ability & my heritage. But I do have the presence to say "C'mon coach, I was just seeing if you're paying attention is all" as I jog on by him. I think I did detect a slight smile as he said "Just keep your damn head in the game"

[Edited by Dan_ref on Aug 27th, 2003 at 11:54 AM]
Old Wed Aug 27, 2003, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Second of 2 free throws, the ball ends up resting on the ring. B1 goes up & grabs it off. I'm C, no brainer BI call. Tweet, count the basket, B's ball to run the endline. ... BI? Aint there something in every test about FT's & BI....or was that GT? ... Now there's 2 voices, the second one is saying "c'mon...that wasn't off the FT, it was on the put back...you know it's impossible to have BI/GT off a FT fergawdsake."
This, I beleive was one of the best rule changes they've ever made...in terms of fairness.

Before last year (or maybe the year before), this would have been T for BI on a FT. Of course, they anticipated this very situation which really doesn't warrant a T. The ball's up there, begging to be grabbed. Counted the bucket alone is the correct and right thing to do.
Old Wed Aug 27, 2003, 12:42pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Good post, Sparky!
Thanks.
Old Wed Aug 27, 2003, 01:58pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question Huh?

Wait just a gosh darned minute. If the ball had come to rest on the ring on the second of a two shot FT, why didn't you blow your whistle and go to the AP arrow?
Old Wed Aug 27, 2003, 02:01pm
In Memoriam

Re: Huh?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Wait just a gosh darned minute. If the ball had come to rest on the ring on the second of a two shot FT, why didn't you blow your whistle and go to the AP arrow?
Oh,oh!

More tiny voices just went off.
Old Wed Aug 27, 2003, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

No no no no you can't fool me...it was perched on the ring momentarily just waiting for a breeze or a big guy to take it off...
Old Wed Aug 27, 2003, 02:47pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
No no no no you can't fool me...it was perched on the ring momentarily just waiting for a breeze or a big guy to take it off...
Or maybe from the aura radiating from your presence?
Old Wed Aug 27, 2003, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Or maybe from the aura radiating from your presence?
It was only the second game of the day so the aura couldn't have been THAT bad...

Old Wed Aug 27, 2003, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Mark Padgett beat me to it. The whole time I read the post, I figured all the mental anguish would have ended with the realization that when the ball rests on the flange, you go to the arrow.
Old Wed Aug 27, 2003, 03:22pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerMN
Mark Padgett beat me to it. The whole time I read the post, I figured all the mental anguish would have ended with the realization that when the ball rests on the flange, you go to the arrow.
Yes - this is what you call a pseudo-wedgie.

Old Wed Aug 27, 2003, 03:57pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
[/B]
[/B][/QUOTE]Hmmmm. Interesting call. Personal or technical? Do you consider body odor a "contact" foul-or a non-contact unsportsmanlike foul? Or a fragrant foul? Can a player buy himself back into the game with a shower?

Inquiring minds need to know!
Old Wed Aug 27, 2003, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerMN
Thanks Trig. Never seen a player yank a ball of the ring as it just kinda sits there, deciding what to do? Now go back & see if I use the word "flange" in the post.
Old Wed Aug 27, 2003, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
[/B]
Hmmmm. Interesting call. Personal or technical? Do you consider body odor a "contact" foul-or a non-contact unsportsmanlike foul? Or a fragrant foul? Can a player buy himself back into the game with a shower?

Inquiring minds need to know! [/B][/QUOTE]

It's always fragrant and it's always personal, even during a dead ball.

Player can buy his way back in with a shower, a new uni and a breath mint (can't be too careful ya know).

Old Wed Aug 27, 2003, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

It's always fragrant and it's always personal, even during a dead ball.

Player can buy his way back in with a shower, a new uni and a breath mint (can't be too careful ya know).

With or without the penalty for changing a jersey/the book?

BTW, if the BO is that bad - it's a contact foul!
Old Wed Aug 27, 2003, 07:29pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

I bet that guy doesn't play "right guard".